oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

2 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

It's very clear not everybody at the club is singing from the same song-sheet. It's such a weird, weird position to be in, as well.

What's the point in signing players like Payero now, and going for people like van Bergen, when Warnock is so clearly stuck in his 1980s attitude towards football?

Why not just go ahead and sign Bolasie and Hoilett whilst we could? 

I think it's the right way to do it but Warnock needs to bite the bullet and accept that this is a season of transition rather than his gung-ho last go at a final promotion in his career crap.

In my eyes, signing players that Scott presumably would like to have in in the long-term is a good thing to start doing ASAP. But the manager right now needs to accept his role in all this and appreciate that likely means he's not gonna get to do exactly what he wants.

This is about the club, not him. He can sod off if he sees this any other way.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Who said we could? You are absolutely mad if you dont think Bolasie wasnt our main target out wide

Surely Bolasie on an expensive 1 year deal whilst Warnock is here is better than trying to sign cheap European guys on half the wages?

Our transfer window started exactly how I expected. Freebies and cheap relegated players. Ikpeazu, Crooks, Lumley, Peltier. I thought it'd carry on in the same vein.

Then it was Payero, now we're being linked with random guys all over Europe. It's like we've just totally changed track halfway through the window.

I'd just love to know what's gone on, really. Did we decide to pull next year's plans forward? When was Scott decided? Was he originally meant to sign after Warnock was gone? Definitely has the feeling that something somewhere has changed/gone wrong.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think it's the right way to do it but Warnock needs to bite the bullet and accept that this is a season of transition rather than his gung-ho last go at a final promotion in his career crap.

In my eyes, signing players that Scott presumably would like to have in in the long-term is a good thing to start doing ASAP. But the manager right now needs to accept his role in all this and appreciate that likely means he's not gonna get to do exactly what he wants.

This is about the club, not him. He can sod off if he sees this any other way.

You and me both know Warnock isn't interested in leaving the club any better than he found it. He's not a Boro man, he's got no loyalty to any club other than Sheffield United, he's here "to do Steve a favour" and "show him what he can do" and have his final hurrah. He definitely thinks we need him more than he needs us, has had that vibe about him since the start.

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Surely Bolasie on an expensive 1 year deal whilst Warnock is here is better than trying to sign cheap European guys on half the wages?

Our transfer window started exactly how I expected. Freebies and cheap relegated players. Ikpeazu, Crooks, Lumley, Peltier. I thought it'd carry on in the same vein.

Then it was Payero, now we're being linked with random guys all over Europe. It's like we've just totally changed track halfway through the window.

I'd just love to know what's gone on, really. Did we decide to pull next year's plans forward? When was Scott decided? Was he originally meant to sign after Warnock was gone? Definitely has the feeling that something somewhere has changed/gone wrong.

I think Bolasie is a better deal and I reckon we tried but hes clearly not interested or thinks he had better options out there

I realise we have this long term plan being put in place (Scott DoF) route and it is a positive for me. However surely that has a bigger chance of getting off to a flier next season if we are promoted this season…? So why do we not give NW the players he trusts and wants on relatively cheap one and 2 year deals and let him do what he does I.e. get clubs promoted? If we get promoted then players we don’t want will likely have suitors to move them on to by dint of the fact they have just been successful with us by being promoted. We will also be in the Prem possibly attracting a better class of manager / head coach applicant and certainly with more chance of attracting lads we want for the longer term project. 

I don’t see why we seem to want cross the two paths right now and hamper our chances of NW doing his promotion thing. 

are ye with me?

Despite if you believe Warnock is to blame for this he needs to sort his attitude and approach quickly. It’s early but 1 win in the first 5 with some very questionable performances and decisions. Comments like this and dealings with Akpom, Uche and Payero aren’t helping him at all.

I thought he was all about great man management and spirit but he seems to fall at both extreme ends of the spectrum on that. 

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

I realise we have this long term plan being put in place (Scott DoF) route and it is a positive for me. However surely that has a bigger chance of getting off to a flier next season if we are promoted this season…? So why do we not give NW the players he trusts and wants on relatively cheap one and 2 year deals and let him do what he does I.e. get clubs promoted? If we get promoted then players we don’t want will likely have suitors to move them on to by dint of the fact they have just been successful with us by being promoted. We will also be in the Prem possibly attracting a better class of manager / head coach applicant and certainly with more chance of attracting lads we want for the longer term project. 

I don’t see why we seem to want cross the two paths right now and hamper our chances of NW doing his promotion thing. I reckon if he got exactly the types he wants he’d get us up, it’s what he does. 

are ye with me?

• Like 1
Just now, El Guapo said:

I don’t see why we seem to want cross the two paths right now and hamper our chances of NW doing his promotion thing. 

are ye with me?

We are not good enough to get promoted and there is no point whatsoever in "planning to get promoted" this year, or even the next.

It took Brentford how many years? They had to replace their front-line about 4 times and went through 2-3 managers before Frank finally did it.

Even if we did get promoted, bringing in a new manager for their first year in the prem with a whole new squad sounds like an implosion waiting to happen.

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Give over.  It wasn't poorly phrased, it was perfectly phrased.  Warnock has been a manager for 40 years.  How many questions from the media do you think he'll have faced in that time?  He's been there and done it over and over again.  You don't think that by now he's aware of what he's saying when he's talking to the press?  Come on, there's no way you actually believe that, so please don't act dumb to make a point.  He knew exactly what he was saying last season with the no strikers comments, he knew exactly what he was saying with his comments on this lad.  A fella with his experience isn't giving an answer like that for any other reason than to distance himself from the signing.  He's made it absolutely clear on a couple of occasions now where he would like us to be making signings from - he didn't want more than a couple of South Americans, then that became he didn't want more than two from the continent.  He wants players with Championship experience and someone at Boro is spending a lot of time looking elsewhere for signings, and preparing to spend a fair chunk of our budget on those players.  He isn't happy with it as they aren't the players he wants.

He was referring to the continent that is South America, not Europe. Yes he likes proven Championship quality, who doesn’t. Don’t insult my intelligence by claiming I am acting dumb, petty insults may be your thing, enjoy them if it makes you feel good, shame you feel the need. Warnock says stuff that has cost him fortunes over the years, he speaks off the cuff at times, I feel confident on that and that was one of those times. You are finding things that really are not there. If Warnock is costing us players left right and centre why is he still here? Procrastination is Boro’s problem, we are showing ambition but without the clout to close a deal quickly, that really is the truth. Blaming Warnock for VanBergen not coming is frankly laughable. The same old anti Warnock posters do love to see the bigger picture while sporting their blinkers. 

Have always felt and mentioned that anyone we are linked with and seemingly progressing with, if they have not been signed up within the first couple of weeks then it does not seem to happen.

I get the feeling that Spora wll not be coming either due to all the palava surrounding his transfer.

Within our finger tips and then slipping away seems to be the way we do business

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

You and me both know Warnock isn't interested in leaving the club any better than he found it. He's not a Boro man, he's got no loyalty to any club other than Sheffield United, he's here "to do Steve a favour" and "show him what he can do" and have his final hurrah. He definitely thinks we need him more than he needs us, has had that vibe about him since the start.

Like many managers before him, he wants to do what he wants to do with the budget we have and in some ways he's a bit unfortunate as he'd definitely have had something more like that here in the past. But I've no sympathy on that front.

For me, the best thing I could say to Neil Warnock is a completely sincere thank you for coming in and keeping us up, same goes to Blackwell and Jepson, who knows where we'd be if we'd gone down that season but I don't think it's entirely daft to think we'd still be in League One now. But this club is still ours and the good will earned from saving us isn't worth throwing our future out for. He had a go last year, it didn't work out.

Now he could do something just as good as keeping us up by managing us through this transitional period and allowing things to develop behind the scenes so we are definitely in a better place from where we were when he joined to where we are when he leaves. If he doesn't want to do that, fair enough, the door is there and I'm sure he's allowed to leave whenever.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

We are not good enough to get promoted and there is no point whatsoever in "planning to get promoted" this year, or even the next.

It took Brentford how many years? They had to replace their front-line about 4 times and went through 2-3 managers before Frank finally did it.

Even if we did get promoted, bringing in a new manager for their first year in the prem with a whole new squad sounds like an implosion waiting to happen.

But if it’s part of a long term plan it’s a relegation with £100m to rebuild with new guy still in place as part of the long term plan. The only negative would be the fan base meltdown cos we hadn’t done the double. 

Brentford are not a similar case to us having spent most of their history in the bottom 2 divisions so thaeir fans have the patience for a longer term build. Getting to Orem this season for us would be a short sharp shock in the first season but £100m steps forward on the long term plan in an instant. Otherwise we may not go up this year with the mush-mash approach and have to then build with £0 over a much longer term. 

I think we are looking a gift horse in the mouth by muddying the strategy right now that we brought NW in for I.e. promotion. There’s no harm in Scott building structures targets etc behind the scenes now bug give NW the relatively minor outlay now to do what he does. If he does it we all win. If he doesn’t it won’t be because of a mishmash divisive strategy which is just currently getting everyone’s backs up it seems.

if this mishmash fails and NW leaves halfway through this season it would be far worse than not being promoted his way or being promoted his way and having plans in place behing the scenes that we can move on quickly with with a premier season ahead and a new guy in place.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Van is not the Man"
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""