• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

Sounds very re-assuring...

It's just like the Uche comments the other week, offers no benefit to the player, club or fans by saying it 

9 minutes ago, LBP said:

Yeah Payero and Sporar might be getting CAkpom'd 

image.png.0122028aae6e19cce052ddb6b11ea11a.png

Might be clutching at straws but at least in the case of Payero we moved for him early and it would appear he was our first choice.

In spite of what might have been said when he signed it was always clear that Akpom was a long way down a list of targets.

2 minutes ago, LBP said:

It's just like the Uche comments the other week, offers no benefit to the player, club or fans by saying it 

Nah I like Uche tbh. If you had three really creative, direct players behind him. He'd get you 10-15 goal contributions easily by bringing others into play.

We just don't have the players to properly play off him at the moment.

Just now, RiversideRed said:

Nah I like Uche tbh. If you had three really creative, direct players behind him. He'd get you 10-15 goal contributions easily by bringing others into play.

We just don't have the players to properly play off him at the moment.

I mean saying this 

image.png.b6b7270814fa579e54cdbadd894486f2.png

What's the benefit other than giving Warnock an out if he didn't perform?

• Like 1

There's a different feel on the board this season. Every poor individual or team performance seems to be met with more of an emotional response by a seemingly higher number of posters. I know fans are excited with being back into stadiums after 18 months of feeling detached from normal football emotions, but it seems like this has created an inflated and disproportionate amount of criticism and frustration. We still have a fairly respectable 5 points from 4 games and have had difficult circumstances, which probably haven't been helped in the short-term by us being in a state of transition towards a new regime under Scott and a new head coach next season. The second half against QPR was awful and the first half against Derby was really poorly structured, but other than that we've done decent in pretty difficult circumstances this season.

The announcement of Kieran Scott as our Head of Football is a clear indication that Warnock isn't going to be here next season, which was inevitably going to lead to fans piling on unfair pressure and criticism on Warnock as his position is undermined a bit. Whilst the long-term logic from the club behind this is absolutely clear about catching up with modern football clubs, it's understandably going to jar with Warnock. Whilst he must surely have been aware of this planned new direction before he agreed to stay for this season, he's still going to be frustrated about missing out on his targets due to some other driving force (likely Kieran Scott) behind the scenes prioritising signings like Payero, Bergen, Sporar and attempted pursuit of Muniz etc, which has resulted in us not being able to put out as competitive of a team as he'd like so far this season. We've had to rely on just Ikpeazu for the bulk of league minutes with us having to either use one of Crooks as a makeshift striker, Akpom or Coburn when Ikpeazu tires after 70 to 80 minutes. I know it's easy to say with hindsight but I'm sure Warnock would have preferred to have just sign someone far earlier like Michael Smith from Rotherham and not mess around waiting for Muniz, Sporar or the high profile striker from Leverkusen. Due to the injury crisis on the wings (Ameobi, Watmore and Tavernier), when playing with a back 4 we've had rely on a previously unproven Jones at LW and an out of position Spence at RW this season, or switch to a more defensive-minded formation of a back 5. It's not ideal by any means. In many ways we've been incredibly lucky that Jones has done so well as without him we'll have done a hell of a lot worse. He has been the key cog in both formations - whether it's LW in a back 4 or upfront alongside Ikpeazu in a 3-5-2 (but floating to the left wing). Warnock deserves credit for giving Jones his opportunity. Warnock has still been able to bring a lot of his own players in but, still, he's having to working within a set up that he isn't naturally comfortable with and he knows he's a bit of a stop gap, which isn't going to be a nice feeling for him. There was always going to be conflict between the outgoing and incoming regime, however, Warnock really isn't helping himself with frustrated comments like "If we are, it's nowt to do with me" regarding Mitchell van Bergen.

As far as I can see, Warnock leaving now solves absolutely nothing and it only causes potential huge problems within the first team that could very well leave us vulnerable to a relegation battle. Warnock has brought in a lot of players this season to play his style of football like Ikpeazu, Crooks, Ameobi, Lumley, Bamba, Peltier and Olusanya, and he seems to have a very good relationship with a lot of players, especially the more vulnerable characters like Dijksteel and Bola who he helped them regain their confidence and form after really struggling under Woodgate. Therefore I struggle to see any logic behind Warnock leaving in an unplanned manner. I suppose only Scott and Steve Gibson only know how well prepared we'd be for if Warnock leaves at short notice. However, considering everything, I can't imagine it's very well prepared as it's simply not what we're preparing for. Warnock leaving brings significant risks as a new head coach will have had no pre-season with the team, know nothing of the new signings or team, likely play a vastly different system and could very well have no knowledge of the Championship. They are all massive red flags that can be averted if the hand over of power happens as planned next season.

Maybe I'm a bit cold hearted but I'm quite happy to see this season as a transitional one of finding the right balance between Warnock and Scott's new regime next season. I'm sure we're more than capable of battling into the play offs as thing will surely improve as we get our wide players of Ameobi, Watmore and Tavernier fit and back to match sharpness, sign some quality strikers to take the burden off Ikpeazu, and then can play a more settled back four system. It's not been great so far, but it's equally not all that bad. However, crucially, the alternative of Warnock leaving in an unplanned manner is far worse than any negatives we've seen so far this season.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, LBP said:

I mean saying this 

Probably trying to give him a kick up the backside. Letting him know that there’s a place up for grabs as the main man if he gets his head down.

I fully supported the clubs decision to bring in Warnock as we needed an old hand to steady the sinking ship Woodgate helped create.I was surprised he was offered a further year but could see a certain logic in it and thought with the acquisition of the right players we could push for a top six finish and therefore supported that decision also. Things have happened since then that have made me question the support, first of all the tactics on the pitch, they are unfathomable, the criticism of certain players is just unprofessional and the constant slagging off and swearing at officials shows a lack of class. To add to that it is obvious he does not like the change of direction of the club, DOF and foreign players and cannot stop himself letting it be known either at press conferences or by team selection. I had no great expectations for this season, only hope, my concerns are more about the damage it is doing to the club whilst these internal battles seem to be taking place

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, p_mards said:

There's a different feel on the board this season. Every poor individual or team performance seems to be met with more of an emotional response by a seemingly higher number of posters. I know fans are excited with being back into stadiums after 18 months of feeling detached from normal football emotions, but it seems like this has created an inflated and disproportionate amount of criticism and frustration. We still have a fairly respectable 5 points from 4 games and have had difficult circumstances, which probably haven't been helped in the short-term by us being in a state of transition towards a new regime under Scott and a new head coach next season. The second half against QPR was awful and the first half against Derby was really poorly structured, but other than that we've done decent in pretty difficult circumstances this season.

The announcement of Kieran Scott as our Head of Football is a clear indication that Warnock isn't going to be here next season, which was inevitably going to lead to fans piling on unfair pressure and criticism on Warnock as his position is undermined a bit. Whilst the long-term logic from the club behind this is absolutely clear about catching up with modern football clubs, it's understandably going to jar with Warnock. Whilst he must surely have been aware of this planned new direction before he agreed to stay for this season, he's still going to be frustrated about missing out on his targets due to some other driving force (likely Kieran Scott) behind the scenes prioritising signings like Payero, Bergen, Sporar and attempted pursuit of Muniz etc, which has resulted in us not being able to put out as competitive of a team as he'd like so far this season. We've had to rely on just Ikpeazu for the bulk of league minutes with us having to either use one of Crooks as a makeshift striker, Akpom or Coburn when Ikpeazu tires after 70 to 80 minutes. I know it's easy to say with hindsight but I'm sure Warnock would have preferred to have just sign someone far earlier like Michael Smith from Rotherham and not mess around waiting for Muniz, Sporar or the high profile striker from Leverkusen. Due to the injury crisis on the wings (Ameobi, Watmore and Tavernier), when playing with a back 4 we've had rely on a previously unproven Jones at LW and an out of position Spence at RW this season, or switch to a more defensive-minded formation of a back 5. It's not ideal by any means. In many ways we've been incredibly lucky that Jones has done so well as without him we'll have done a hell of a lot worse. He has been the key cog in both formations - whether it's LW in a back 4 or upfront alongside Ikpeazu in a 3-5-2 (but floating to the left wing). Warnock deserves credit for giving Jones his opportunity. Warnock has still been able to bring a lot of his own players in but, still, he's having to working within a set up that he isn't naturally comfortable with and he knows he's a bit of a stop gap, which isn't going to be a nice feeling for him. There was always going to be conflict between the outgoing and incoming regime, however, Warnock really isn't helping himself with frustrated comments like "If we are, it's nowt to do with me" regarding Mitchell van Bergen.

As far as I can see, Warnock leaving now solves absolutely nothing and it only causes potential huge problems within the first team that could very well leave us vulnerable to a relegation battle. Warnock has brought in a lot of players this season to play his style of football like Ikpeazu, Crooks, Ameobi, Lumley, Bamba, Peltier and Olusanya, and he seems to have a very good relationship with a lot of players, especially the more vulnerable characters like Dijksteel and Bola who he helped them regain their confidence and form after really struggling under Woodgate. Therefore I struggle to see any logic behind Warnock leaving in an unplanned manner. I suppose only Scott and Steve Gibson only know how well prepared we'd be for if Warnock leaves at short notice. However, considering everything, I can't imagine it's very well prepared as it's simply not what we're preparing for. Warnock leaving brings significant risks as a new head coach will have had no pre-season with the team, signed none of the players, likely play a vastly different system and could very well have no knowledge of the Championship. They are all massive red flags that can be averted if the hand over of power happens as planned next season.

Maybe I'm a bit cold hearted but I'm quite happy to see this season as a transitional one of finding the right balance between Warnock and Scott's new regime next season. I'm sure we're more than capable of battling into the play offs as thing will surely improve as we get our wide players of Ameobi, Watmore and Tavernier fit and back to match sharpness, sign some quality strikers to take the burden off Ikpeazu, and then can play a more settled back four system. It's not been great so far, but it's equally not all that bad. However, crucially, the alternative of Warnock leaving in an unplanned manner is far worse than any negatives we've seen so far this season.

Great post mate. If I could like it twice I would. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, newyddion said:

every signing that we have made has been an improvement on the players that have left.

That just isn’t true though is it. Theres no way you can say that with conviction yet. I’ve seen quite a few posters say this as if all our signings are a significant upgrade. They aren’t.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, LBP said:

I mean saying this 

I'm sure he knew that when he was coming to the club that he wasn't going to be first choice so I don't think the comment is that bad. 

15 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Twice in 2 posts that you've inscinuated that not going to games invalidates your opinion @newyddion. Attitudes like that will make you extremely unpopular around here as a lot of people on this board are not in the position to go to games regularly. So stick to the football instead of trying to say your opinion weighs more than anyone elses. 

In fairness to Newyddion, I don’t believe for one minute he was inferring what you have claimed from his comments. As far as i have read, he has not said if you are not there your opinion is invalid. It is an unquestionable fact that seeing a game in full and live allows for a different memory or picture to that of watching on the TV, which in turn allows for a clearer vision to the radio or a newspaper report. Neither invalidates opinion Newyddion did not say his opinion matters more because he goes to games, that looks more like your interpretation through having a very differing opinion. (I don’t say that to be critical of you, it is something we all do as humans with our personal and emotional biases).

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Anyone thinking that Warnock is being written off after 4 games is either not reading or just completely missing the point. 

He definitely is being written off by a sizeable segment of this board though.

Admittedly it's the same people who spent most of last season moaning too, so it's consistent and you can't say it's knee jerk.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""