oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

Given the size of academy intakes, and the comparatively small population our catchment area covers I think we've done ok. It's not like we're in the northwest covering Manchester/Merseyside, the midlands or London with its 25m populous, so let's give credit were it's due. we've had a few who at 16-18 have looked like they may kick on but have decided that pubs and clubs are more important and not dedicated themselves to the ultimate goal.

Let's face it the last big thing was Chapman and by all accounts his attitude stank after 'that' goal, players have to take some of the responsibility for the academy's success or failure, whilst they can be taught the necessary skills only they can provide the drive and aptitude to actually fulfil their potential. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Given the size of academy intakes, and the comparatively small population our catchment area covers I think we've done ok. It's not like we're in the northwest covering Manchester/Merseyside, the midlands or London with its 25m populous, so let's give credit were it's due. we've had a few who at 16-18 have looked like they may kick on but have decided that pubs and clubs are more important and not dedicated themselves to the ultimate goal.

Let's face it the last big thing was Chapman and by all accounts his attitude stank after 'that' goal, players have to take some of the responsibility for the academy's success or failure, whilst they can be taught the necessary skills only they can provide the drive and aptitude to actually fulfil their potential. 

Yea we’ve had a few over the years who were ‘the next big thing’ and wasted talent. Wether it’s pressure put on them at early age or dedication issues

28 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Before the Academy set up we had Players like Tony Mowbray, Gary Pallister, Stuart Ripley, Willie Maddren, David Mills, David Hodgson and arguably even Graeme Souness and Craig Johnston coming up through the ranks or at least being rehabilitated in the case of Souness after failing at Spurs.

Academy era, we have had Stewart Downing, Brad Jones, Adam Johnson, Ben Gibson etc. The interesting thing is that they seem to come through in groups rather than individually. There are lots of others of course but Downing and Pallister are two of the more stand out "successful" ones in terms of career highs.

I think I would rather have an Academy than not but the Rioch era was seemingly just as successful which may have been simply down to a mixture of opportunity and needs at the time. There has undoubtedly been plenty of players that have come through the system to make good careers in the game but very few real top class stars of the game considering the facilities and cost of running the Academy.

I watched an interview with Stuart Webber and he was talking about clubs bringing youth players through and he said it was down to the chairman. If he tells the manager to use youth players the manager will but you employ managers like pulis and warnock for instant results.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

From what I heard about Harry Chapman his family was the problem. 

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

That's a weird one if true.

They may see him as cover for Jiminez. They fell off a cliff when he got injured last season 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Yea we’ve had a few over the years who were ‘the next big thing’ and wasted talent. Wether it’s pressure put on them at early age or dedication issues

Wasn't MaClaren the last to put a team out with lads born within 2 miles of Boro?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

They may see him as cover for Jiminez. They fell off a cliff when he got injured last season 

It's more that Cardiff are open to selling and Wolves are offering so little.

Either Cardiff are in a bit of bother financially or I'm doubting that rumour.

15 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

I think there’s a few things in play with the next big things.

One thing  is that some of these lads have always been the best in their age. They essentially never play consistently against people who are better than them.

I believe the academies suffer from not having reserve team football where these young lads can play with/against experienced players.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's more that Cardiff are open to selling and Wolves are offering so little.

Either Cardiff are in a bit of bother financially or I'm doubting that rumour.

Fair point. I was looking at it from the Wolves point of view which would make sense for them. Not so much for Cardiff 👍

8 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

How is Ramirez failed he is littely bossing it in the Seria A I don't like how he sulked as we didn't accept Lecister bid but it is what it was. He was the main reason we got  the 28 points we did in that season and the major reason we got to the premiership in the first place 

I think we may have very different definitions of "bossing it". He only made 25 appearances last season, playing only 11 full games worth of minutes for Sampdoria and now doesn't have a club.

• Haha 2

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Record are reporting that the Sporar issue was related to player tax, they report the obstacle should be overcome in the next few hours.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Fair point. I was looking at it from the Wolves point of view which would make sense for them. Not so much for Cardiff 👍

Maybe Mick McCarthy knows Brown is on his way to. us for 100k and demanded money to replace him so the board sold Moore 😂

• Haha 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""