• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

I'm seeing some talk about superstar players like Beckham, Gazza, Kane etc.

My query was why haven't we been producing more players who are simply decent / above average Championship standard and worthy of regular starts.

I don't expect our academy to be turning out England internationals...

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, nunthorpered said:

Saw that Izquierdo was released from Brighton. Thought he was a decent player myself. Was he out for ages through injury?

He was rapid, had a few blinding games for them and then disappeared. He could be worth a contract if he's not injury riddled.

2 hours ago, Foogle said:

😡😡😡 don't you say it! 🐍🐍🐍

He is a class above at championship level, but it would be like getting back with your missus after she $ha@@ed your brother and best mate at the same time. 

This was actually in response to the ramirez quote lol

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, WarnocksLoveChild said:

He is a class above at championship level, but it would be like getting back with your missus after she $ha@@ed your brother and best mate at the same time. 

This was actually in response to the ramirez quote lol

What if she was drunk at the time? Maybe we could forgive Gaston if he promised not to do it again even if it was only for a few months, like 8 or 9 months would possibly do it then we can fall out again?

In 2012 the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) was implemented, and it has undoubtedly had massively positive results in terms of the quality of young players England is developing and has been a key factor behind our recent major tournament successes, so there is a lot of good from it. However, it has undoubtedly handed over yet even more power to the big clubs, essentially allowing them to mop up the vast majority of the local talent, which makes it incredibly difficult for the smaller clubs to run their academies in a cost effective manner. The new environment of EPPP places smaller clubs in a disadvantageous position.

What Brentford have done is adjust to this new environment by conceding that it's inefficient for them to develop academy players over multiple years only for their best players to be picked up by bigger clubs for peanuts, as the tide that is firmly against them, but are instead focussing on picking up the best players that they can attract which come out of the big clubs academies at 17/18 year old. A player of this age who isn't considered anywhere close to the first team at a big club like Man Utd or Man City, and sees other academy players in the older age groups comfortably ahead of him, is surely going to see an opportunity to sign for Brentford and be within touching distance of their first team, as a massively tempting opportunity. A youth coach at a big club that I discussed this with a few weeks ago anticipates that if Brentford make a success of stabilising in the Premier League and developing the big clubs released academy players then a very large % of the smaller clubs academies will close and they'll instead attempt to carry out Brentford's model. 

Whilst all smaller clubs can still adapt like Brentford, it's important to note that this would be incredibly unpopular to most smaller clubs fans - especially those with history of developing talented youngsters like us. Brentford's recent history has been poor before their owners took over so they're in the advantageous position of having a lot more freedom to innovate. They're not held back by the conservatism that is rife within football. Too many owners are terrified of being unpopular by trying something radical and failing. Football has a deep rooted "it was always done this way" mentality which discourages innovation and promotes ineffciency. The most popular decision can often be the worst decision, and the most unpopular decision can often be the best decision. Brentford seem to be ahead of the curve with most other things, so I'm watching them with great interest to see if they make a success of their academy as I'm sure a lot of clubs will follow suit if they do.

• Like 2

I'm excited for after the international break where hopefully Warnock has had time in the training pitch to implement Sporor van Bergen, Payero and all the other signing into a system. With Coventry, forest and Blackpool be massive week where 9 points out 9 is the possibility and we fly up the league. If less than 7 points from that 3 Warnock will become under serious pressure 

• Like 1

I have a feeling that Spence won't hold more value than he does now, given that he probably won't be a starter once we have injured players/new signings in.

It's a bit of a shame, after a bright start to the season, but I'd probably say sell - as the article says, he has two years on his deal, so either team would have to stump up for him.

That said, such is our need for bodies, I'd want us to see if there was anyone worth coming the other way on loan, as part of the deal. 

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""