oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

To be fair he’s the sort of player that Warnock gets a tune out of. The fact that I am underwhelmed will no doubt lead to the transfer being done and dusted by 5pm today.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, CrazyL said:

To be fair he’s the sort of player that Warnock gets a tune out of. The fact that I am underwhelmed will no doubt lead to the transfer being done and dusted by 5pm today.

I really hope so, rember his Forrest days and when he ripped us apart, if warnock thinks he can get him back to anywhere near that be a big player for us.  

Hard to get excited for Oli Burke in my books, one of those players that was highly rated and never lived up to the hype. If he's cheap enough I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, but don't think my expectations could be lower. Seems more like a Warnock signing to me.

• Like 1
Just now, Foogle said:

Hard to get excited for Oli Burke in my books, one of those players that was highly rated and never lived up to the hype. If he's cheap enough I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, but don't think my expectations could be lower. Seems more like a Warnock signing to me.

More or less how I feel. Looks like the kind of player that will always be reminded that the next move is his last chance to sign and salvage his career. We can only hope that he gets it and not ends up like Ravel Morrison.

so if Burke is the wide forward, Sporar is the striker, Siliki is a midfielder (a very adaptable one according to fifa21), does that mean no winger?, and possibly no LB cover?

I've always had a disproportionately high opinion of Burke's potential. There are obviously red flags so it's very easy to right him off at first glance, but I feel there's a good player in there somewhere. I'm baffled at how badly his agent has handled him as he has been all over the place from a young age. England to Germany, then to England, then to Scotland, then to Spain, then to England. It's little wonder his development has suffered.

He's 24 year old now so is starting to run out of time for something to click in his head in the way that it did for Traore at 21/22 year old. I think Warnock's style of play and his man management would both be well suited to providing Burke a good environment to perform. His confidence seems to be brittle, which makes the way his agent has shipped him all over the place more ridiculous. Warnock rebuilt Dijksteel and Bola's confidence after their earlier struggles here so hopefully he can have similar success with Burke. If it's a loan deal only with an obligation to buy after promotion and another condition like % of league appearances then I'd see it as a low risk deal. It'd strike the right balance of providing Warnock a player he rates for this season, and it will give us no long-term financial commitments for next season under Scott if, as is likely, we are still in the Championship. I'd like to think we're not daft enough to pay a fee and give him a long-term contract in our current circumstances.

It feels like we're running down the list of winger options as we get towards the final days of the transfer window and they either want to sign for other clubs (van Bergen) or we feel the prices are too high, so Burke needs to be considered in that backdrop and also as striking the right balance between Warnock and the new regime under Scott next season.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Burke is clearly a lot closer to signing.

He's spoken about other players this window when he already knows they're coming in.

Including Payero.

I mean, the Gazette was already running stories on Van Bergen which is usually a good indicator a deal is close. By all accounts, this Reims interest for him has come up late and were he not given that option he'd likely already be here.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

so if Burke is the wide forward, Sporar is the striker, Siliki is a midfielder (a very adaptable one according to fifa21), does that mean no winger?, and possibly no LB cover?

Isn't Burke a winger? I always thought he was an out-n-out classic winger.

I'm surprised people aren't more excited about this CM. He sounds good. And anyone who thinks we don't need another central midfielder... check out the highlights of the QPR game!

Burke is not exciting and let's be honest we've likely reached the bottom of our list... but he is rapid and pretty young. The guy was highly rated for a reason, I don't mind it if he's coming with the right attitude.

• Like 1

I remember him coming to the Riverside and playing off the right for Forest. Absolutely ran us ragged all afternoon. That was shortly before his move to Leipzig. 

Just now, Borodane said:

He does play all over the place, including as a striker but as far as I know he's a "get his head down and run the ball off the pitch" style player.

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

I think there lies the problem with his career so far. He's been played as a winger and a striker without really nailing down what his actual best position is.

Just now, Borodane said:

me to. we'll have watmore, burke, tav, jones and spence to play as wingers/wide forwards. its not amazing but better than what we had. with uche, sporar and crooks as a 3rd striker. think we are almost done in those positions. just need lb cover really. 

Just had a horrible thought while waiting in the barbers chair. What if Warnock knows that Burke is trash, and in his last season as a manager he is doing his old club Sheff United a favour of taking off an expensive player from their hands? 👀 load him on to boro, so the next manager can’t sign anyone because we have him on high wages and also can’t shift him.

Either that or he’s gonna be world class 🥲 

• Haha 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""