oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, Youngy228 said:

I don't think we are particularly stronger than last year.

So how can it be a good window then, I suppose that would be my question to you?  I get the financial risk element because this is brought up a lot, but part of the risk is also that the players aren't good enough for whatever it is that you're trying to achieve, so you then can't achieve it.  That's failure not success.  That it's cheaper failure shouldn't make us feel happier about it, at least not in my opinion.  All of this is unknown at the moment because we don't know how the season is going to play out of course.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's going to be hard to judge for a while anyway, we'd have brought in 12 players, that's a lot of new bodies to gel.

Admittedly Peltier, Bamba and Daniels aren't here to be regular players, and I suspect the left back won't be either, so let's say 8 players that you'd expect to feature regularly.

Possibly 7 depending on how Olusanya pans out, he might end up on the distance fringe.

But I already rate Crooks and Ikpeazu.

The jury is still out on Payero.

And Jones looks promising?

3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The jury is still out on Payero.

It could be for a while given the comments from Warnock.

I'm just looking for clear signs of improvement from us.  If we look better and some of the new signings are a part of that then I think you can give the window a thumbs up.  Like you say, some players aren't likely to play that much of a role, so a lot might come down to the impact of just a few signings.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It could be for a while given the comments from Warnock.

I'm just looking for clear signs of improvement from us.  If we look better and some of the new signings are a part of that then I think you can give the window a thumbs up.  Like you say, some players aren't likely to play that much of a role, so a lot might come down to the impact of just a few signings.

Even if he doesn't play a part tomorrow, though I hope he does, there's a 2 week break in which he can get further integrated in to the squad and culture, and Leo being back is bound to help given the language issues.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

So how can it be a good window then, I suppose that would be my question to you?  I get the financial risk element because this is brought up a lot, but part of the risk is also that the players aren't good enough for whatever it is that you're trying to achieve, so you then can't achieve it.  That's failure not success.  That it's cheaper failure shouldn't make us feel happier about it, at least not in my opinion.  All of this is unknown at the moment because we don't know how the season is going to play out of course.

I gave reasons why I thought the signings we have made so far are good within their own right not as a full squad.  I also explained that although I was disappointed at missing out on some I could see why.  

I didn't say it was a good window.  I said it was a good window so far.  The window hasn't closed yet and if we bring in a couple of attacking players then depending on who they are then yes I think it has the potential to have been good.  But as you say.......until we see how the season plays out it is unknown.   

• Like 2

Listening to Warnock today, he indicated that, with the signings so far, the squad is not good enough to go up. He said that he has never known it so hard to get deals over the line. He knows we need left side cover and forward signings before Tuesday so let’s hope we can get them in. 😬

My worry with Burke is he has a history of moving for hefty transfer fees and I can't imagine him moving for less than 4/5 million. I get the feeling he might be the player who Warnock was saying he'd love to have etc when he was notified of them being available.

With the injury record of Watmore/Ameobi and to some extent Burke I suspect we might see a fair amount of Crooks and Spence in wide positions this season if Burke's the only wide signing we make.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""