oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It was the Stoke game at home when we won 3-0. By many accounts, Bettinelli had his best performance of the season in that game, potential man of the match contender in fact.

He was good against Bournemouth (H) too, to be fair. But unfortunately in my opinion his "good" games were far outweighed by his "bad" ones.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I think there’s a little bit of revisionism going on with Bettinelli. Don’t get me wrong he had a very poor 2nd half of the season but the first half of the season he was more than competent for this level. 

The thing with the internet is that there’s more information out there so there rightly should be more discussion and deeper scrutiny. Pears was a fantastic shot stopper and “the Internet” would’ve highlighted that too.

He was crap in the first half of the season too; just our defence was better so it shielded him somewhat. He was at fault for a number of goals in the first half of the season too.

20 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Took me 30 seconds to search your name and Bettinelli. 

That’s the kind of revisionism I’m talking about. 

Admitting a player had a good game doesn't mean he wasn't crap for the other 45, what are you on about man.

12 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

He was good against Bournemouth (H) too, to be fair. But unfortunately in my opinion his "good" games were far outweighed by his "bad" ones.

Quite right mate. Wholly agree. An awful season sprinkled with some good performances. To say he’s been terrible all season though is incorrect in my view. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Humpty said:

Quite right mate. Wholly agree. An awful season sprinkled with some good performances. To say he’s been terrible all season though is incorrect in my view. 

Okay so now you're just being pedantic.

He was terrible all season, bar a handful of games in which he actually remembered how to play football.

IMO if you're terrible for 90% of your games I think you can still qualify that as being terrible all season.

9 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Okay so now you're just being pedantic.

He was terrible all season, bar a handful of games in which he actually remembered how to play football.

IMO if you're terrible for 90% of your games I think you can still qualify that as being terrible all season.

I think it makes it even easier to make the 'terrible' analysis that he was probably our worst player this season, especially if you consider expectation vs. reality. Bettinelli is an experienced Championship goalkeeper, he once had a season that was almost as good as Randolph's in terms of save percentage too, which seems mad after this year.

Looking at some of our other statistically worse performers according to WhoScored, you've got players who didn't play enough: Roberts, Wing, Fletcher, Coulson

Players who perhaps weren't utilised well enough to judge: Britt, Akpom

And I know not everyone will agree with this but some players young enough for reasonable doubt: Spence(20), Wood(18) and Coulson(22) probably fits into this too

Bettinelli isn't any of those things. He's an experienced keeper with pedigree at this level and he wasn't asked to do anything relatively outlandish for a keeper at this level, his task was pretty simple.

The only positive thing that comes to mind when reviewing the stats is this idea that Bettinelli was a good communicator. The xGA stats and the number of appearances made by each player in the defence kind of support that theory. Collectively keeping that xGA stat low represents a better defence all-round and communication is undoubtedly part of that. We don't know for sure how heavily weighted that is in any one player's favour, though, so I'd say you look to the likes of Paddy, Howson, Bola and Bettinelli, all with 40+ starts and perhaps share that among them.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He was comfortably our worst player this season and I don't think it's even close.

Let me tell you about a man called Britt 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Christ. Imagine accusing me of revisionism. I can't think of many people who have been as consistent about their opinion as I have been. 

I can't say i pay much attention to each individual posters leanings, bias or preferences, i generally tend to respond to the immediate post in the thread (give or take)....but i managed to demonstrate why there's an element of revisionism with pretty much the first post i came across when i searched. You said he was terrible all season...that's not what your earlier post said....you said he hid behind a strong defence....that's not what the same earlier post said.

I'm not trying to dig you out, i'm only demonstrating that Bettinelli hasn't been terrible all season as is claimed. It's often the most recent performances that stick in people's memories, understandably, but sometimes a bit of context is needed. 

I’ve been saying all season if I don’t have to watch Bettinelli, Spence or Britt next season I’ll be very happy. I couldn’t rate those 3 any less 

I reckon we’ll be directing our funds at more critical areas of the team. Warnock seems quite content with the midfield. I wonder if that includes Wing in his thinking?

Just now, Borolad1876 said:

Mo besic for a third time anyone? Out of contract so a free. Wages probably quite high I'd imagine 

He's tenacious and aggressive so Warnock would like those aspects of his game. But hed probably have a heart attack every time he tried to do his turn or hold onto the ball 10 seconds longer than he needs to

1 minute ago, Borolad1876 said:

Mo besic for a third time anyone? Out of contract so a free. Wages probably quite high I'd imagine 

I think we already have a better player than Besic in Morsy and one player who works themselves into the book every game is enough.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

3 clean sheets in 5 appearances last season for Lumley is pretty impressive! Unsure if that includes his cameo vs us as a clean sheet or not.

It doesn't.

He's kept 4 clean sheets in his 5 games, but let in 3 against Coventry.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""