• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

I agree with the principal of buying first teamers. Your current first teamer then is competition and the one on the bottom rung of the ladder is moved on. 

It’s how you improve your first team.

however at this point in time we have been so poorly managed for a number of years that we are not in a position to do that.

We need so many players and have so few funds and little time that we will have to purchase squad players.

6 hours ago, TLF10 said:

@LewisBoroPalfrey when you say Wyke has a better record than Smith you also got to consider the leagues they played in. 

Yes Wyke has a better record in sense he scored 31 goals in League 1 to Smiths 10 in Championship.

I agree I think both would hopefully be ok with getting you to up to 10 goals at this level

Can I just ask, why is this now the benchmark?  I think you're the second or maybe third person I've seen suggest that they could get 10 goals, as if that's a good thing.  

Under AK it was two players per position but either player could easily of started. We did have the funds but surley the same can be done now with the amount of free agents kicking around too? If you had Fry and then someone like Keogh as the backup that doesn't improve you at all. 

2 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Under AK it was two players per position but either player could easily of started. We did have the funds but surley the same can be done now with the amount of free agents kicking around too? If you had Fry and then someone like Keogh as the backup that doesn't improve you at all. 

But realistically players of Fry's calibre aren't in our price range

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I get what Humpty's saying.  Our starting XI isn't currently good enough to get promoted, so signing a back up left back isn't going to improve that.  I'm not a fan of signing 'squad players' either.  Always look to sign better than what you already have, and make the current player your squad player, at least that way you make an improvement.  Taking it to a stupid extreme, we could sign six left backs, and have plenty of cover for that position.  But if none of them are better than what we already have then the actual team hasn't improved at all, has it?  You ultimately max out at whatever your best XI is, regardless of the strength of the squad.  Reading the Gazette the other day, they seemed to suggest that our defence and midfield were fine, and it was just the attacking positions that needed improvement.  I think that's *** myself, and I hope it doesn't reflect thinking within the club.

Sure; in an ideal world this is true, but it's not the world we live in. 

In a world where we have finite resources, you need to prioritise. We need a 2nd left back if johnson goes & Coulson is moved forward permanently, but Bola is not the problem in our team so there is no point putting any significant funds that direction and taking those funds away from more pressing needs. 

If we can bring in first teamers in positions of need, having a squad player to cover a position with a solidified first teamer is a totally acceptable thing to do.

At the end of the day you aren't going to be able to improve on every single starting player at the club, but you still need to have options and a squad of decent enough size to handle a full season. Role players are important too.

• Like 3
Just now, Will said:

But realistically players of Fry's calibre aren't in our price range

Established players like Fry aren’t in our price range.

I know this is commonly held but I am not sure if it’s fully true. Karanka did have two for each position but was Husband really as good as Friend? 

I think we had people who Karanka knew could do a job (if needed).

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Me? I’m not upset...not by a long shot. Him & Wilson just devalue my enjoyment of the forum by their sniping, that’s all 😉

Best way to defeat snipers is by getting some heavy armour... 😉

tank GIF

Just now, Brunners said:

Sure; in an ideal world this is true, but it's not the world we live in. 

In a world where we have finite resources, you need to prioritise. We need a 2nd left back if johnson goes & Coulson is moved forward permanently, but Bola is not the problem in our team so there is no point putting any significant funds that direction and taking those funds away from more pressing needs. 

If we can bring in first teamers in positions of need, having a squad player to cover a position with a solidified first teamer is a totally acceptable thing to do.

At the end of the day you aren't going to be able to improve on every single starting player at the club, but you still need to have options and a squad of decent enough size to handle a full season. Role players are important too.

We do have finite resources, so why use some on a player to come in as a back up?  Don't move Coulson forward permanently, whatever that really means.  Consider him as a utility player for the left hand side, which is what he essentially is anyway.  At the very least you should be focused on the areas you must strengthen first, and then see what resources you have left over for anything else?

This is where Wood or someone cheap could be worth the gamble? I guess that's when you have to have good recruitment 

We agree.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I know this is commonly held but I am not sure if it’s fully true. Karanka did have two for each position but was Husband really as good as Friend? 

I think we had people who Karanka knew could do a job (if needed).

True but at the time we signed him as a promising left back so at least it wasn't a journeyman haha. It never worked out for him like you say. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""