oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

Why are we signing Hoillet but not Mendez Gomes these are the reasons our club is in the mess it is

Reading the article from the Luton Town website, it sounds like Morecambe weren't just selling to the highest bidder as such. They had a bunch of interested clubs, wanted to pick the best one for Mendes Gomes and then see if a fee could be negotiated. So even if we were interested and had the money for it, they might have had us further down the list.

I believe we're still waiting to hear if Hoilett is actually a thing that is happening but the other thing there is that one costs a fee whilst the other is a free transfer. Mendes Gomes' wage demands might not have been as high but it might have been a longer term investment than we were happy with.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Bit of an odd article by the Evening Gibbo, further proving the rag only publishes what the club want them to:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brilliant-george-saville-goes-above-20904361

(Assuming that @diggerlad07's claims that Saville wants to leave and we want to sell are accurate!)

It's a nice advert 👍

Has he not moved up here then?  The article says close to his family home in Surrey.

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It's a nice advert 👍

Has he not moved up here then?  The article says close to his family home in Surrey.

Has a place in Darlington with his Mrs as well CT. I guess by family home they probably mean his parents etc.

3 hours ago, nunthorpered said:

Issue is conditions arent great right now, especially with covid. There is no money to do anything with, and all of those things would cost alot to set up. You risk self sabotaging yourself too and ending up in league 1 imo. I think Gibson would have to sell up for us to move on though. I don't think he can afford to keep the club running for much longer

It's not really about Covid. or rather, that's just something that has exacerbated an already existing issue.  Our problems stem from consistently wasting huge sums of money.  Go through our transfer activity over the last 5 years or so and it's ridiculous.  Think about it this way, we completely wasted over £20m on Assombalonga alone.  Now, at least we can say that he scored a few goals for us over that time, not as many as we'd have liked, but at least some.  On Gestede we've wasted at least £10m over a similar time period.  We didn't get anything from that, 70 odd games with 8 goals.  That's £30m that has left this business on just two players, and it's mental.  If it was just these two then ok you can say you screwed up a couple of times but everyone does.  The thing is we all know it's not just these two.  Does anyone believe we've gotten value for money for Saville?  Another £10m out on him.  Howson?  Another £10m out on him.  These aren't even the players who came in, and then left at a loss either.  These are players we've had for the full length of their contracts, and in Howson's case, longer, so we should be getting value for money for those players.  How much went out on Fletcher?  How much did we lose on Flint?  Was it a £3m loss on transfer fees plus whatever wages, and signing fees he had here?  No business can haemorrhage that kind of money and expect to be ok, it's insane. 

Even more recently, look at the signing of Akpom, and the hit we are going to take on him.  That'll be another £4m or £5m out the door in the end I bet.  And this was during Covid!  I bet we spent a decent little chunk on loaning Roberts again as well, and then barely used him.  This is money that is basically going nowhere, it's virtually dead money, because we're getting nothing back from it at all.  Even someone like McNair, who has now thankfully been useful to us, that first season he was here he played 700 odd mins of football, and that's after we spent £5m on him.  It required changing managers to get him playing for us in a meaningful way.  That shouldn't be the case.  We shouldn't be spending money on players, and then managers basically refuse to play them.  If we're doing that it's a complete failure on our part.  And all of these things negate any of the good work that gets done, finding a player who does contribute, and offer value for money for example, or producing our own talent who do good things for us, and in the case of Gibson, bring in a sizeable sum of money when they move on.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Has a place in Darlington with his Mrs as well CT. I guess by family home they probably mean his parents etc.

Ah right, just seemed odd that he was down there, that's all.  Maybe just on holiday before pre-season starts.

Why do we seem to concentrate on rubbish permanent signings and ignore the loan market? Doesn’t have to be bolasie type of loans, many championship clubs in our situation have benefitted from loaning academy players from premiership clubs.

I know they aren’t necessarily ‘cheap’ but potentially much better value for money.

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It's not really about Covid. or rather, that's just something that has exacerbated an already existing issue.  Our problems stem from consistently wasting huge sums of money.  Go through our transfer activity over the last 5 years or so and it's ridiculous.  Think about it this way, we completely wasted over £20m on Assombalonga alone.  Now, at least we can say that he scored a few goals for us over that time, not as many as we'd have liked, but at least some.  On Gestede we've wasted at least £10m over a similar time period.  We didn't get anything from that, 70 odd games with 8 goals.  That's £30m that has left this business on just two players, and it's mental.  If it was just these two then ok you can say you screwed up a couple of times but everyone does.  The thing is we all know it's not just these two.  Does anyone believe we've gotten value for money for Saville?  Another £10m out on him.  Howson?  Another £10m out on him.  These aren't even the players who came in, and then left at a loss either.  These are players we've had for the full length of their contracts, and in Howson's case, longer, so we should be getting value for money for those players.  How much went out on Fletcher?  How much did we lose on Flint?  Was it a £3m loss on transfer fees plus whatever wages, and signing fees he had here?  No business can haemorrhage that kind of money and expect to be ok, it's insane. 

Even more recently, look at the signing of Akpom, and the hit we are going to take on him.  That'll be another £4m or £5m out the door in the end I bet.  And this was during Covid!  I bet we spent a decent little chunk on loaning Roberts again as well, and then barely used him.  This is money that is basically going nowhere, it's virtually dead money, because we're getting nothing back from it at all.  Even someone like McNair, who has now thankfully been useful to us, that first season he was here he played 700 odd mins of football, and that's after we spent £5m on him.  It required changing managers to get him playing for us in a meaningful way.  That shouldn't be the case.  We shouldn't be spending money on players, and then managers basically refuse to play them.  If we're doing that it's a complete failure on our part.  And all of these things negate any of the good work that gets done, finding a player who does contribute, and offer value for money for example, or producing our own talent who do good things for us, and in the case of Gibson, bring in a sizeable sum of money when they move on.

But then he doesn’t want a director of football cos they’re too expensive (according to gazette).

11 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Why do we seem to concentrate on rubbish permanent signings and ignore the loan market? Doesn’t have to be bolasie type of loans, many championship clubs in our situation have benefitted from loaning academy players from premiership clubs.

I know they aren’t necessarily ‘cheap’ but potentially much better value for money.

I think it’s both that they aren’t cheap and it’s essentially throwing money away. The loan fee is money you never recover and can be bigger than some transfer fees.

Add in the wages which again can be bigger than established players and it’s not the best combination. Put these together and than realise that if things go well the player will not come back and you have less money to replace them.

oh and our recruitment is a bit ***

15 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think it’s both that they aren’t cheap and it’s essentially throwing money away. The loan fee is money you never recover and can be bigger than some transfer fees.

Add in the wages which again can be bigger than established players and it’s not the best combination. Put these together and than realise that if things go well the player will not come back and you have less money to replace them.

oh and our recruitment is a bit ***

Counter act that with spending tens of millions on Britt, Fletcher, gestede, howson, Akpom and probably saville and getting nothing back in return.

Your argument is true if we were good at buying players but we aren’t. I will never NEVER understand the club (via the gazette) talking about good managers/coaches/scouts and loan transfers being too expensive only to see us waste absolute fortunes on total garbage anyway.

I just want us for once to flip it round and have a go at spending the money on the management side of the club rather than pointless dross players. We did it once with kenyon and look what happened, Leeds did it with bielsa, wolves did it, Leicester did it (in league 1), Southampton did it. 

Yeah it’s not guaranteed to work etc etc, neither are expensive players, we’ve gone down the expensive players route year after year and it ISNT WORKING. Let’s try a different way and we might start getting somewhere.

2 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Your argument is true if we were good at buying players but we aren’t. 

But these are the same people who will be getting loan players which is why we end up with Roberts, Morrison, Nmecha, Hugill, and Van La Parra. 

even before it was pointless signings zucculini and Blackman. 

5 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Lazaro from Flamengo. 

Us, Huddersfield and Birmingham are looking at player.

A 19 year old Brazilian playmaker? Say no more. Splash the entire budget on it 

• Like 5
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""