oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I suppose the idea would be that it shows ambition.  Let's go back two seasons to a Boro managerial appointment.  A couple of people were mentioned but it seemed likely that the job would always be going to Woodgate.  Were the other names out there because they were serious contenders or were they out there because the club wanted it to look like they were?  Only a few people know for certain I guess but I'm not sure that Jokanovic was ever a realistic possibility for us.

the truth is out there GIF

Be nice if someone ITK could have given us some answers on this.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't think they played in January?  I don't believe it was him though either way.

I think he was injured until January then came back and was class so yeah agree don't think he's actually the "gem"

1 hour ago, Essuuaitch said:

i really dont want to get a reputation on here for being a negative poster but im dubious about the whole situation with payero. how have we gone from lumps like smith, diedhou, ikpeazu, wyke etc to a argentinian wonderkid in our interest list?.  looking at it with very un-rose tinted specs id be inclined to think its a stunt to get the fan base positive about the clubs ambition, bearing in mind the dross names before hand. i,ll be delighted but massively suprised if it pans out smoothly, sorry but it just seems murky from our media team, even though theyve been very silent with thier statements on the matter.....as usual.  weirdly its not the first time i recall this sort of rumour being dangled either, regarding exciting possible signings that dont happen.  Now, about that re-structure at top level.........

Some fairly selective posting here. Firstly, the four 'lumps' you mention are all strikers. Comparing them to Payero is comparing apples and oranges, as he would be filling a completely different role. Secondly on the same point, we've lost Bolasie, Kebano, to a lesser extent Johnson, and, at least for now, NML from last season. So we do need a bit of creativity in the team. It's hardly surprising to see us looking in that position.

Furthermore, as others have said, planting a leak in the Argentinian press would be quite the stretch for a Championship club on the off chance it helps boost season tickets, for us to then not sign the player.

And finally, you make a fair point that we've had rumours before that have not come to fruition, but what club haven't? And look at who we have signed. For all his criticism, and as much as the landscape has changed, the chairman is still the same bloke who brought in Juninho, Ravanelli, Merson, Mendieta, Southgate, Woodgate and Downing, among countless other signings that seemed far-fetched to some degree. Yes, the days of signing the bigger names may be over, but there's nothing to stop us believing that Gibson will still want to make a splash in the transfer market when he has the ability to. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't think they played in January?  I don't believe it was him though either way.

Nor do I. I can't remember the exact wording of what Warnock said at the time, but I'm certain it alluded to that player being based somewhere in Europe.

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I suppose the idea would be that it shows ambition.  Let's go back two seasons to a Boro managerial appointment.  A couple of people were mentioned but it seemed likely that the job would always be going to Woodgate.  Were the other names out there because they were serious contenders or were they out there because the club wanted it to look like they were?  Only a few people know for certain I guess but I'm not sure that Jokanovic was ever a realistic possibility for us.

But it doesn't show ambition if you say you're trying to sign Messi and then end up signing Marvin Johnson, it shows you up and makes it look like you're not that attractive an option.

25 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

But it doesn't show ambition if you say you're trying to sign Messi and then end up signing Marvin Johnson, it shows you up and makes it look like you're not that attractive an option.

I think you would have to use players that were believable of course!  That example clearly wouldn't work. 

33 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

the truth is out there GIF

Be nice if someone ITK could have given us some answers on this.

I think they did at the time.  They all said the job was Woodgate's from pretty early on.  The other stuff was just about making it look like we were having a proper look around.

33 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I think he was injured until January then came back and was class so yeah agree don't think he's actually the "gem"

My point was that I didn't think Argentinian football was played in January, so they couldn't have tried to scout him even if he was fit. That might be wrong like, I just thought their season was within one year unlike ours being across two years e.g. 21/22.  I'm sure there are people on here that know more about it than I do.

20 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Bolasie has put a video on his Instagram of him in Turkey so it looks like he's heading over there.

Maybe he just decided to visit to see what all of the bloody fuss was about?

• Haha 1

Before we all get too excited, Ledesma and Marinelli only had bit-parts during their time at the club. And I know he was Uruguayan, but Carlos de Pena was another player who just couldn't adapt.

What I'm trying to say is: just buy Warnock's former players from his old clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Brick_Tamland said:

Before we all get too excited, Ledesma and Marinelli only had bit-parts during their time at the club. And I know he was Uruguayan, but Carlos de Pena was another player who just couldn't adapt.

What I'm trying to say is: just buy Warnock's former players from his old clubs. 

If we do actually sign this fella, and he's half as good as Marinelli, we have the best player in the champo he would have ripped it up would Carlos.

6 minutes ago, Brick_Tamland said:

I think we signed Ledesma from Walsall.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think they did at the time.  They all said the job was Woodgate's from pretty early on.  The other stuff was just about making it look like we were having a proper look around.

I was told that Phil Neville had agreed to take the post with Round as assistant but he wanted to still do the women’s World Cup or whatever was going on at the time and we pulled the plug as wanted him to start sooner 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""