oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

6 minutes ago, Brick_Tamland said:

Before we all get too excited, Ledesma and Marinelli only had bit-parts during their time at the club. And I know he was Uruguayan, but Carlos de Pena was another player who just couldn't adapt.

What I'm trying to say is: just buy Warnock's former players from his old clubs. 

We got ledesma from Walsall and he started his career in Italy at Genoa, Ledesma wasn't that bad really, and was never really that hyped up anyway, Marinelli was a talented player. Also I think de pena had something about him, but I just don't think we were ever going to see that here. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

If we do actually sign this fella, and he's half as good as Marinelli, we have the best player in the champo he would have ripped it up would Carlos.

This lad isn't like Marinelli.  He's athletic rather than being skilful apparently.  If anything that should give him a better chance of adapting successfully, as he already sounds like a fairly typical British style midfielder.  All of that is based on that scouting report that someone put on here of course.

26 minutes ago, Brick_Tamland said:

Before we all get too excited, Ledesma and Marinelli only had bit-parts during their time at the club. And I know he was Uruguayan, but Carlos de Pena was another player who just couldn't adapt.

What I'm trying to say is: just buy Warnock's former players from his old clubs. 

Would rather gamble on a young player with potential than some of the lumps of wood we have been linked with. Most of those will have no resale value.

• Like 1

Sorry for sprinkling some question marks over the football rationale behind us targeting Payero. I just find it hard to understand. Is it for a marquee buzz? Is it to tap into the "Gibson spoils us again" narrative? Is signing a South American flair player a way to create an illusion of a sophisticated and modern recruitment set up? I obviously don't know, however, the one thing I'm for certain about is that it runs completely contrary to our transfer dealings since Gibson removed Victor Orta in the Summer of 2017. Since then our recruitment has been as shambolic and wasteful as I can remember despite us heavily focusing on the domestic market - which is supposed to be safer but more inflated. It also runs contrary to Warnock's transfer dealings when getting promoted with his previous Championship clubs. At the moment we're signing the likes of: Lumley, Peltier, Ameobi and Ikpeazu, which I can see a lot of logic and shrewdness in, on free transfers or relatively small fees, so to supposedly have around £5 million stashed away for Payero feels completely disjointed from the football rationale underlining our previous signings. Unless, of course, the rationale is not exclusively footballing related. Gibson seems to have a fixation on marquee type of signings to generate some excitement from the fans, even if it's not sensible business, and is rumoured to have gone over several managers heads to bring in the likes Woodgate, Downing & Rhodes, so that can't be ruled out.

I'd much prefer we had one cohesive long-term strategy that was wholly focused upon a solid footballing rationale of signing unknown gems and then selling them on for a huge profit like Norwich and Brentford, but unfortunately we have to accommodate Gibson's corrosive, counter-progressive, PR obsessed approach to running a football club. Whilst I'm excited about us potentially signing Payero, it's just that I don't understand the rationale behind it as it goes against Boro's transfer dealings over the past 4 years and Warnock's career transfer dealings in the Championship. 

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

Jim Magilton signed him. 

Warnock did sign Camarasa and Medel for Cardiff though. Two brilliant players

Malky Mackay signed Medel. Camarasa was signed by Warnock though - albeit in the Premier League.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Sorry for sprinkling some question marks over the football rationale behind us targeting Payero. I just find it hard to understand. Is it for a marquee buzz? Is it to tap into the "Gibson spoils us again" narrative? Is signing a South American flair player a way to create an illusion of a sophisticated and modern recruitment set up? I obviously don't know, however, the one thing I'm for certain about is that it runs completely contrary to our transfer dealings since Gibson removed Victor Orta in the Summer of 2017; Since then our recruitment has been as shambolic and wasteful as I can remember. It also runs contrary to Warnock's transfer dealings when getting promoted with his previous Championship clubs. At the moment we're signing the likes of: Lumley, Peltier, Ameobi and Ikpeazu, which I can see a lot of logic and shrewdness in, on free transfers or relatively small fees, so to supposedly have around £5 million stashed away for Payero feels completely disjointed from the football rationale underlining our previous signings. Unless, of course, the rationale is not exclusively footballing related. Gibson seems to have a fixation on marquee type of signings to generate some excitement from the fans, even if it's not sensible business, and is rumoured to have gone over several managers heads to bring in the likes Woodgate, Downing & Rhodes, so that can't be ruled out.

I'd much prefer we had one cohesive long-term strategy that was wholly focused upon a solid footballing rationale of signing unknown gems and then selling them on for a huge profit like Norwich and Brentford, but unfortunately we have to accommodate Gibson's corrosive, counter-progressive,  PR obsessed approach to running a football club. Whilst I'm excited about us potentially signing Payero, it's just that I don't understand the rationale behind it as it goes against Boro's transfer dealings over the past 4 years and Warnock's career transfer dealings in the Championship. 

Hardly marquee though is it. No one had heard of him before the link... Saville cost more. Marquee to me would suggest a big name or expensive statement of intent (like £15 million on a striker)

11 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Hardly marquee though is it. No one had heard of him before the link... Saville cost more. Marquee to me would suggest a big name or expensive statement of intent (like £15 million on a striker)

Yeah he's not expensive in comparison to some of our wasteful signings of recent years, but any unknown flair player of over £5 from South America, is going to get people incredibly excited - especially more than George Saville.

I hope it's the start of a new braver, successful direction that our recruitment is going in, but I just hope it isn't for anything other than wholly footballing reasons.

maybe it was a player that made it through the scouting process, and the club leadership managed to negotiate a deal that was acceptable for the potential quality of the player....

1 hour ago, Brick_Tamland said:

Assuming that 1) they want to come to Boro and 2) we can afford them... 😉

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""