Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Clubs are poorly run.

I do find it an odd difference between the US and UK that when big sports stars get paid big money over there there isn't this pearl clutching disgust that they earn a lot of money, instead they congratulate them for making their money and accept that they are the attraction and therefore deserve their share of the pie.

Although in the US sports stars contracts can be ripped up at any time if they suffer a long term injury or aren't performing, you don't end up with a Rudy Gestede situation in American sports which means fans don't get as resentful.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

the average wage is just over 4k a week in the championship, which is much lower than id have guessed!

https://thepfsa.co.uk/football-wages-how-much-do-footballers-get-paid/#:~:text=The average wage of a,around £200%2C000 a year.

That'll factor in all those players on their first professional contract on a few hundred quid a week though won't it? That'll distort the average pretty considerably. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Although in the US sports stars contracts can be ripped up at any time if they suffer a long term injury or aren't performing, you don't end up with a Rudy Gestede situation in American sports which means fans don't get as resentful.

Depends on the individuals contract to be fair, but yeah some players can just be cut for little to no cost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Although in the US sports stars contracts can be ripped up at any time if they suffer a long term injury or aren't performing, you don't end up with a Rudy Gestede situation in American sports which means fans don't get as resentful.

it's not quite that simple because of the way caps work in most American sports, and some players (especially in the NFL) have guaranteed money, regardless of if they get cut or injured or whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Will said:

Depends on the individuals contract to be fair, but yeah some players can just be cut for little to no cost.

Yes usually the ones with big guaranteed money in their contract are seasoned pros and the only reason they're usually cut is if they suffer a career ending injury. It's a great system for the owners but not so much for the players...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

That'll factor in all those players on their first professional contract on a few hundred quid a week though won't it? That'll distort the average pretty considerably. 

Agreed, equally I have seen claims from other website that the average is more like £29k a week but the source is apparently a leaked survey and comes via the daily mail so it may be more like something the middle of those two claims

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Will said:

Clubs are poorly run.

I do find it an odd difference between the US and UK that when big sports stars get paid big money over there there isn't this pearl clutching disgust that they earn a lot of money, instead they congratulate them for making their money and accept that they are the attraction and therefore deserve their share of the pie.

And then they go all OJ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think the discrepancy is more damaging to academy players more than anything. Read the multiple stories of teenagers getting depressed after being cut from top academies because they haven’t ‘made it’.

The truth is even a career in league 1 is nothing to be sniffed at, you will still be on a nice wage doing what you enjoy with an amazing opportunity to move up the ladder either while playing or getting in to coaching (or a multitude of other football related careers) afterwards.

Getting your foot in the door at any professional level is still an amazingly rare opportunity, even if you don’t fully benefit from it your kids might. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Liverpool and England right back Jon Flanagan has signed for second tier danish team HB Køge. What a cataclysmic fall from grace he has suffered. 

  • Wow 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Former Liverpool and England right back Jon Flanagan has signed for second tier danish team HB Køge. What a cataclysmic fall from grace he has suffered. 

has he had injuries or something, he's had a weird career.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SmogDane said:

And then they go all OJ 

Yep, every single one of them. They really should do something about it

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, estonpidge said:

NFL average salary is about $300k, with an average career of 3-4years

The average career length is correct, but $300k is lower than the minimum NFL salary, even for a fresh out of college rookie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...