• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

I personally don't think signing a player who struggled to get into the team that finished 19th's first 11 for the past 2 seasons is a no brainer. I swear, the way some people talk themselves into considering someone a good signing is impressive. He may work out, he may not, but the signs arent amazing. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Found it for you 🙂

Here is Savilles charts by the same guy:

and since you mentioned Wing, here's Wings:

The Saville charts aren't the same as Crooks.  The horizontal bar charts are mostly the same but slightly different.  Not sure how the two players can be compared using those.  Not to mention that I'm not entirely sure what the charts actually are, as the median values seem to be different.  Wings are more comparable as those charts look the same.  Wing appears to be some distance better than Crooks based on that.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I personally don't think signing a player who struggled to get into the team that finished 19th's first 11 for the past 2 seasons is a no brainer. I swear, the way some people talk themselves into considering someone a good signing is impressive. He may work out, he may not, but the signs arent amazing. 

He’s a poor (at best) Championship footballer and there is absolutely no evidence that suggests otherwise. But he’s 6 ft 4, so along with Ameobi (6 ft 4) and Ikpeazu (6 ft 3), Warnock is well on his way to achieving his ambition of having the tallest team that has ever played in the Championship.

I am well aware that I’m boring you SmogDane (and probably quite a few others) but surely I can’t be the only one massively worried about the fact that Warnock is currently filling the squad with carthorses knowing full well that he is supposedly retiring at the end of the season. I do apologise SmogDane but I’m not going to pretend that I’m happy to watch us do the exact same thing we did 3 years ago under Pulis to spend another lot of years trying to undo those wrongs. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Having said that, I doubt that Warnock gives a crap about the stats! 🙂

Yeah, I think this is what I keep coming back to. I always thought Saville was a bit of a nothing player, although he did have a decent season stats wise last year. And so did Johnson, and I didn't really rate him either.

But the crux is that neither would ever truly fit into a Warnock team. So I'm hoping that the lads he's bringing in are players that he is convinced a) will fit his plan for the team, and b) he can get the best out of.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

He’s a poor (at best) Championship footballer and there is absolutely no evidence that suggests otherwise. But he’s 6 ft 4, so along with Ameobi (6 ft 4) and Ikpeazu (6 ft 3), Warnock is well on his way to achieving his ambition of having the tallest team that has ever played in the Championship.

I am well aware that I’m boring you SmogDane (and probably quite a few others) but surely I can’t be the only one massively worried about the fact that Warnock is currently filling the squad with carthorses knowing full well that he is supposedly retiring at the end of the season. I do apologise SmogDane but I’m not going to pretend that I’m happy to watch us do the exact same thing we did 3 years ago under Pulis to spend another lot of years trying to undo those wrongs. 

Fair enough, mate .. 

I for one, am not getting on the doom and gloom train yet .. If the results come, I will be happy for now .. If not .. Then i am one of the first persons to jump ship .. 

But I wont judge anything for the first quarter of the season.

I didn’t realise Crooks was 6”4. At least this season we should be far more effective at carrying out Warnock’s style of play from both set pieces and in open play. We will all understandably have different views on the merits of Warnock’s style of play, but us now seeming to be able to play his style of football to a far higher standard can surely only be seen as a positive - certainly for our chances of promotion in the upcoming season.

Our starting line-up next season could reasonably contain all of: Hall and Fry at CB, Crooks and McNair at CM, Ameobi at RW and Ikpeazu in strike. Them 6 really tall outfield players will give us such an advantage at set pieces over pretty much every team. Hopefully Payero is great at corners and indirect free-kicks!

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Fair enough, mate .. 

I for one, am not getting on the doom and gloom train yet .. If the results come, I will be happy for now .. If not .. Then i am one of the first persons to jump ship .. 

But I wont judge anything for the first quarter of the season.

It’s not the results that I’m worried about. Like I was with Pulis, I am confident Warnock will get us the results to be a comfortable mid table team and, with a bit of luck, we may even get close to the playoffs. But it is the cost that managers like Warnock and Pulis have on the long term future of the club that worries me. They bring in their style of players, they coach the players to play direct, long ball football and when they go we end up with a squad full of poor footballers who don’t know how to play in any other way. This was one of the reasons why we nearly ended up getting relegated under Woodgate the season after sacking Pulis (obviously Woodgate’s lack of experience played a big part too but the fact he was trying to get a Tony Pulis squad to play a different brand of football was a major issue). 

I admire your optimism SmogDane. It just pains me to see us make the same mistakes we have made before, so soon after making them the first time. And it also pains me to watch us play such an outdated style of football. 

Edited by J.T.
Just now, J.T. said:

It’s not the results that I’m worried about. Like I was with Pulis, I am confident Warnock will get us the results to be a comfortable mid table team and, with a bit of luck, we may even get close to the playoffs. But it is the cost that managers like Warnock and Pulis have on the long term future of the club that worries me. They bring in their style of players, they coach the players to play direct, long ball football and when they go we end up with a squad full of poor footballers who don’t know how to play in any other way. This was one of the reasons why we nearly ended up getting relegated under Woodgate the season after sacking Pulis (obviously Woodgate’s lack of experience played a big part too but the fact he was trying to get a Tony Pulis squad to play a different brand of football was a major issue). 

I admire your optimism SmogDane. It just pains me to see us make the same mistakes we have made before, so soon after making them the first time. And it also pains me to watch us play such a backwards style of football. 

You are correct, however at least the signings are cheap this time. We will probably get most of the warnock type players in for less than pulis paid for saville (not including payero as he has long term viability!)

• Like 3

I get your fears, J.T. 

But my opinion is, that you cry over milk, that aint even poured yet ... and certainly not spilled... 

Lets see, how it all pans out .. 

I'll give NW benefit of the doubt for now

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I admire your optimism SmogDane. It just pains me to see us make the same mistakes we have made before, so soon after making them the first time. And it also pains me to watch us play such an outdated style of football. 

Mate. In football nowadays, the long term future is probably Christmas. Especially for football managers. How long do you think it takes for a manager to change things round? Ask Watford etc.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

Mate. In football nowadays, the long term future is probably Christmas. Especially for football managers. How long do you think it takes for a manager to change things round? Ask Watford etc.

The long term future of a football manager and the long term future of a football club are two totally different things. 

Most clubs, nowadays, change managers on a frequent basis. But some clubs have a much better long term plan than others. Unfortunately, this is where Middlesbrough are falling way behind the better planned clubs. 

Surely you aren’t suggesting that we should only plan, as a club, for what happens between now and Christmas?

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""