Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I suspect the Club may sell for a few million less than that to realise some funds. That said he is contracted until 2024 so they may hold out if an interested party came sniffing. Question is who would be looking at him?

Good question, mate .. 

I read once, that the reason Man U let him go, was cause he didn't have the right mind for top competitive football. 

He has some technique 

He has stamina 

He can shoot and pass and is good at set piece deliveries 

He can defend 

He can do his trade mark flop

But still ... I don't rate him that much .. as I wrote earlier, he is too nice. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

Who's going to be the backup GK?

- Orjan Nyland

- Jamal Blackman

- Luke Daniels

- Frank Fielding

- Kieran Westwood

- Andy Lonergan

All free's with Championship experience.

Has to be a free or a loan.

I wonder if we can convince Southampton to loan Forster. I think he is going into the final year of his contract and is probably not going to get much/if any game time at all. I have read he is on quite a large sum of money though so its unlikely to be anything other than my thought process here 🤔.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I would definitely want to keep Mcnair. Dare I say it in the event of ahem we actually achieved promotion, I think he is one of the players that would be able to make the step up. 

I agree but him going could fund two or three incoming and right now we are short on numbers which is why I suspect that considering the financial impact of Covid somebody will have to pay the Piper.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redcar Rioja said:

I agree but him going could fund two or three incoming and right now we are short on numbers which is why I suspect that considering the financial impact of Covid somebody will have to pay the Piper.

Problem is we'd be making up the squad numbers by selling a first-teamer. I'm not confident at all that we'd spend the money from one player on 3 players who don't just improve our first team but also cover the gap left by him. Unless the first-team is going to be better by selling him then there's no point, in my eyes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Who's going to be the backup GK?

- Orjan Nyland

- Jamal Blackman

- Luke Daniels

- Frank Fielding

- Kieran Westwood

- Andy Lonergan

All free's with Championship experience.

Has to be a free or a loan.

Some decent names in there, for a backup (I know we want someone to 'challenge for the gloves' but lets call a spade a spade). Having said that, Blackman is probably on a par with Lumley, he would be an interesting one to bring in. 

Now that he is finally no longer a Chelsea player, he probably wants to properly settle somewhere, ideally as first choice goalkeeper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I would love a Brazilian here, McNair is too valuable to sell. I think most managers would have him as a first choice midfielder even if Warnock doesn’t. He’s also very comfortable at the back. If we sold him we would need another midfielder and another defender to get quality like him in both positions would probably cost more than his selling price

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

Good question, mate .. 

I read once, that the reason Man U let him go, was cause he didn't have the right mind for top competitive football. 

He has some technique 

He has stamina 

He can shoot and pass and is good at set piece deliveries 

He can defend 

He can do his trade mark flop

But still ... I don't rate him that much .. as I wrote earlier, he is too nice. 

 

Still arguably our best player though

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

mcnair is *** in a back 4 and we are well stocked in midfield. he is probably a great player to sell for us as he wont be missed really. he probably made as many errors being caught out of position at cb resulting in goals conceded than anyone else. yet some love him. hes good on the bal and mediocre off it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Still arguably our best player though

It's in the eye of the beholder, mate.

I think he is a first team player atm, but not the first on the sheet at all. 

Fry, Tav and Watmore ... Those I wouldn't sell for normal money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SmogDane said:

It's in the eye of the beholder, mate.

I think he is a first team player atm, but not the first on the sheet at all. 

Fry, Tav and Watmore ... Those I wouldn't sell for normal money.

eye defense was like a civ without fry, thats how good paddy is lol. midfield is lost without tav and watmore is only forward who scores. all vital.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Problem is we'd be making up the squad numbers by selling a first-teamer. I'm not confident at all that we'd spend the money from one player on 3 players who don't just improve our first team but also cover the gap left by him. Unless the first-team is going to be better by selling him then there's no point, in my eyes.

Just for arguments sake his going would likely fund Crooks who has just arrived and also Ciaron Brown and Kean Bryan on the payroll thereby more adequately covering the defence and midfield. I'm not saying lets get rid but I am being realistic in that the money to strengthen the squad has to come from somewhere and we can't be expecting all these new arrivals at zero cost.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Just for arguments sake his going would likely fund Crooks who has just arrived and also Ciaron Brown and Kean Bryan on the payroll thereby more adequately covering the defence and midfield. I'm not saying lets get rid but I am being realistic in that the money to strengthen the squad has to come from somewhere and we can't be expecting all these new arrivals at zero cost.

Well we've already signed Crooks so if we needed to sell to buy him that was a bit of a dumb thing to do. That's surely not a realistic assumption to make?

As for Ciaron Brown or Kean Bryan, again, they're not improving the first 11 as far as I understand it so why bother selling someone who is pretty emphatically one of our best players (including having the prestigious oneBoro Player of the Season 2020/21 award to his name) to fund moves for them? I'd rather keep McNair than bring in 1 or 2 players who aren't expected to start anywhere near as many games as McNair does.

Not to mention that Kean Bryan is out of contract so I don't really know why selling McNair is required to bring him in. I know all the money adds up but as it stands, we are making moves without seemingly intending on selling anyone barring maybe Akpom, Spence and Coulson.

I don't get the feeling we're in a bad position in terms of needing to sell to buy so unless that changes, keep your best players. We are only making the first team worse by selling McNair.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

eye defense was like a civ without fry, thats how good paddy is lol. midfield is lost without tav and watmore is only forward who scores. all vital.

Won player of the year, only behind Tav and Fry on whoscored, played every game, most assists, I think he tailed off in the second half of the season mind but he was head and shoulders above the rest on the first half of the season. Fry was better overall for me but I wouldn't dream of selling McNair, as even if he's not out best player he is easily up there

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • Probably setting myself up for some disagreement but I have been surprised that the twin transfer policy approach seems to have worked to a greater extent than I thought, Sporar and Payero are both bedding in nicely and seem to be able to work well with Crooks and Uche whilst Bamba and Peltier have earned their corn. If Lea-Siliki comes good and they ever get to the bottom of Ameobi's problem, then I would say that the window could be called successful when compared to others of late. Lumley has his moments but is a massive upgrade on Bettinelli and IF the loan lads come back as more experience and rounded players, I would say progress has been made, even it only means they have impressed elsewhere enough to get decent fees if we can't hang on to them. Coburn and Jones seem to be being integrated into the squad and although others are knocking at the door, it is up to them to break it down by impressing Scott enough to fast track them as he will be the one with the power to decide their future. Hopefully we can keep up the run next week and Gorgeous George takes a day off (for a change) as Clayton seems to have been shown the cold shoulder and shouldn't come back to haunt us in the same way. With any luck might have a couple back after that have to say in closing that although we should have won the last three games, it is really good that we have begun to win games against teams we should win games against, instead of being "Typical Boro"   
    • Play-off spots looking interesting now. Not getting carried away, but with player to return from injury we should be able to hang thereabouts. 
    • First game I have been able to see live this season and some very promising signs mixed in with a dreadful final ball at times. Great interaction between Sporar and Sol at the end seemed to suggest a good spirit in the camp as well which is good to see.    We all know it’s the hope that kills you but we look like we are a team who can only get better . Today should have been 5 at least and the concern is that we aren’t clinical but in Sporar we have a man who could get 20 this season once he gets the right pass my glass is half full again ..... 
    • As said above, how was today anything but a convincing win? We won 2-0, and 5-0 probably wouldn't have flattered us too much.
    • Just seen it.  That challenge was so daft that I can only assume he fancied a week off.  Playing for that lot you can't really blame him mind.

×
×
  • Create New...