Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Hall was immense in the back half of last season to be fair.

Central is solid, its our full/wing backs i think we have an issue with. I'd go out on a limb and say id have Jones on the left 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

All this talk of us switching formation to match up whoever were playing... I really hate that. Were hoping to be one of the top 3 teams in the league, we need to be imposing our own style and you only get results from consistency. Can anyone name a team in any league that has finished as one of the 3 best teams that changes their whole set up based on their opponents?

433 or 4231 is very clearly our best option, everyone can see it - so let's work on it and make sure everyone knows their jobs inside and out. If we're good enough at our own jobs then it shouldn't matter what our opponents are doing. 

I definitely agree with these points. In Warnock's defence though, I suppose if the situation did call for us to play 3 at the back, it's better for us to tinker with it in preseason than to just blindly have a go at it in a competitive game. If it takes a friendly loss for him to see that Dijksteel isn't a wing back, then that's not the end of the world. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nunthorpered said:

Central is solid, its our full/wing backs i think we have an issue with. I'd go out on a limb and say id have Jones on the left 

if we're going full backs, Bola is great, he's come on leaps and bounds. If we want wing backs, I'm actually with you and would not be opposed to seeing how Jones does. My concern is because he's a winger by trade he might not be very strong defensively, which would just cause another Coulson situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brunners said:

if we're going full backs, Bola is great, he's come on leaps and bounds. If we want wing backs, I'm actually with you and would not be opposed to seeing how Jones does. My concern is because he's a winger by trade he might not be very strong defensively, which would just cause another Coulson situation.

Agree about Bola if we play full backs he's good defensively isnt he

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

I definitely agree with these points. In Warnock's defence though, I suppose if the situation did call for us to play 3 at the back, it's better for us to tinker with it in preseason than to just blindly have a go at it in a competitive game. If it takes a friendly loss for him to see that Dijksteel isn't a wing back, then that's not the end of the world. 

I don't see why yesterday is a good judge of Dijksteel as a wing-back. He spent the most significant defensive moments of the game, i.e. the goals we conceded, on the other side of the pitch because of a man-marking system that pulled him out of position with nobody covering for him.

I think we learned more about why having your right wing-back man marking across the pitch in a 5 at the back system is dumb (or at least hard to do properly) than we did about Dijksteel individually in that position. I still think he was decent going forward.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't see why yesterday is a good judge of Dijksteel as a wing-back. He spent the most significant defensive moments of the game, i.e. the goals we conceded, on the other side of the pitch because of a man-marking system that pulled him out of position with nobody covering for him.

I think we learned more about why having your right wing-back man marking across the pitch in a 5 at the back system is dumb (or at least hard to do properly) than we did about Dijksteel individually in that position. I still think he was decent going forward.

at least why it's dumb to do when your forward doesn't come back to cover him. I still refuse to believe that there isn't meant to be someone dropping into his gap there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

All this talk of us switching formation to match up whoever were playing... I really hate that. Were hoping to be one of the top 3 teams in the league, we need to be imposing our own style and you only get results from consistency. Can anyone name a team in any league that has finished as one of the 3 best teams that changes their whole set up based on their opponents?

433 or 4231 is very clearly our best option, everyone can see it - so let's work on it and make sure everyone knows their jobs inside and out. If we're good enough at our own jobs then it shouldn't matter what our opponents are doing. 

Seems like an incredibly arrogant take to me. There are very few teams world wide that stick to the same formation week in week out regardless of opposition. Are we really in a position to say that we’re A) competing for a top 3 position right now and B) good enough to compete for a top 3 position by imposing our will on the rest of the league?

The answer for me to both questions is a resounding no. That may change but right now, we’re no where close to that level of comfort.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brunners said:

at least why it's dumb to do when your forward doesn't come back to cover him. I still refuse to believe that there isn't meant to be someone dropping into his gap there.

Aye, I completely agree with that. It didn't seem to be as much of a problem when we had Spence essentially playing wing-back in the 2nd half and Dijksteel just floating around the defence. But that means you arguably want 2 bloody wing-backs on one side just to allow you to have one of them man-marking and that seems dumb. Might as well be playing with 10 men half the time when you're on the counter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about Dijksteel playing as a Rwb is he seems to get forward okay but rarely puts a ball into the box, and if he does it lacks any real quality. I'd much prefer him as part of the back 3 and have someone more used to playing Rwb.

Another thing, although I do agree Bola has massively improved, his assists are a a bit shy for me. I think playing as a wing back you ought to be involved in providing a service for the strikers. Evidently, this was difficult last season as there was no target man, so i'd be hopeful Bola's stats in this area will improve now we have big Uche

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

From what I know we have only watched 2 strikers from abroad live.

1 which we turned away from because we were not impressed and didn't represent value for money. The other player is still ongoing but depends on outgoings such as Akpom for a fee.

Was I Sory Kaba we turned away from? And do you know what we were quoted if it was him? It’s become a bit of a transfer saga for Midtjylland as the player wants away so he’s not getting any game time but apparently the clubs isn’t getting any offers. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Doesn't sound great on the Ameobi front that, does it?

Not at all. Reckon we’ll need to be very busy in the transfer window

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • 1. Are you starting to feel optimistic about the season yet? Still no. We've beat arguably the two worst teams in the league. NW has had a huge slice of luck having this run of games, 2. Should Crooks and Payero be our midfield partnership from now on? Yes. I know Neil (and by extension, the Gazette) have been making a big deal out of it, but it is nice to see Crooks take Martin under his wing and hopefully that helps Martin acclimate a bit faster. 3. How many points do you expect from the next 3?  Cardiff (A), Birmingham(H), Luton(A) Honestly, 6 minimum - with their form, we should be looking to beat both Cardiff & Birmingham. Luton are a really decent team this year though, so I'd happily take a draw down there. 4. Who is the better manager out of Warnock and McCarthy? That's like asking what's the better pain, being punched in the face or the nads. 5. Starting 11 and formation?                         Lumley Howson - McNair - Bamba - Peltier                  Payero - Crooks Tavernier               -             Jones/Hernandez                   Watmore                            Sporar A 4231 / 424 style formation with Watmore playing just off Sporar. Think with how well they've been doing, Payero & Crooks have to stay together, and IMO Howson was much better at RB the other night than I've seen him be in CM in a long time. 6. Who scored the 2nd goal against Barnsley, Sol or Crooksy? Crooks I think, although it was very close!
    • Cardiff City vs Middlesbrough FC                                                              Saturday 23rd October – 12:30 pm (Sky Sports)                                                                              Cardiff City Stadium Current standings: Boro continue to climb up the table and we find ourselves in a reasonable 10th place. The Bluebirds are in free fall and Mick Mccarthy might be the most hated man in Cardiff right now. If he doesn't get something from this game he's most likely getting sacked. Views from various Cardiff City fans on social media/forums: "Weird that the bookies have us as favourites when we have lost 7 games in succession conceding 17 goals and scoring 1 and have the worst home record in the division. Fear we will get a draw and be stuck with MM." "1-1 if we are lucky and Boro are poor." "Much better yesterday, we need a bit of luck and maybe a fluky goal and the confidence will slowly return, we are better than those results show, McCarthy has been picking the wrong team for most of those games!" "I’d take Warnock back tomorrow." "Boro will be too streetwise, one of our ex players bound to score. Think I'd actually applaud Sol even if its a scruffy tap in, fair play to him." "If Bamba gets McCarthy sacked he’ll become Cardiff’s biggest ever legend" "I’ve been to our last 7 games home and away and seen us score 1 and concede 17. Much better performance tonight but still dire." "Mick McCarthy's recent record at Cardiff City... - Seven defeats in a row - Nine defeats in 10 - One goal in 630 minutes" "Boro will be an interesting game. Neil Warnock getting all the applause while Mick gets all the abuse. The way it should be" "It’s been 172 days since Cardiff last scored a goal in the first half" Questions: 1. Are you starting to feel optimistic about the season yet? 2. Should Crooks and Payero be our midfield partnership from now on? 3. How many points do you expect from the next 3?  Cardiff (A), Birmingham(H), Luton(A) 4. Who is the better manager out of Warnock and McCarthy? 5. Starting 11 and formation? 6. Who scored the 2nd goal against Barnsley, Sol or Crooksy?                                                         (These wins are coming fast so these threads are getting briefer 😁)  
    • In Tavs defence, what attacking coaches has he had to work with over the last few years?    Warnock, Pulis and Woodgate were hardly known for their attacking prowess. I’d say Robbie Keane would have taught him a thing or two but at 22 you can always develop and I’m sure with more chances he would get more composure.    Id probably say that the whole team could do with a prolonged period of dominance in games to get some more composure and match practice at shooting. Last nights game showed how in the final third we are so nervous in my opinion. Not just Tav but everyone. 
    • I think it was Patrick Kielty who once said that when non-Irish do Irish impersonations, its always the Cork accent they imitate. 😁
    • Just realised I've exactly the same games won/drawn/lost and points as Boro 

×
×
  • Create New...