oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Agreed but I don’t think we’re at a stage where we’ll be successful at imposing ourselves on the better teams in this league right now.

Warnock always seems like the pragmatic type to me. He’ll do what’s needed to get a result and that could well mean matching teams up to remove their greater threats.

I'd argue that barnsley did this last season with far less resources than us. They had a gameplan, stuck to it regardless of the opposition and had a great season because of it. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'd argue that barnsley did this last season with far less resources than us. They had a gameplan, stuck to it regardless of the opposition and had a great season because of it. 

They didn't get promoted though 🤷‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

But they far exceeded expectations. Which is what we'll need to do to get promoted.

I’d argue their lack of adaptability prevented them from making that jump to the top 3. Small margins at the top end of the league.

1 hour ago, Weasel said:

I've also got a curse with shirt names, I had Roberts and Akpom on my shirts last season 😬

Some others in my collection include:

de Pena
Fischer
Braithwaite
Ledesma
Vossen

Every single one left the following season.

Then you should have had a Gestede shirt right after he joined 🙏

• Haha 1

There's adapting for the one off and there's changing every game for the opposition. When the big teams face one another, like the Champions League final for example, tinkering happens, an edge has to be found through challenging specific threats, trying to take certain players out of a game, etc. I can also imagine as a player it's easier to take those challenges on board in bigger games, they're desperate to get one over the best.

But 80-90% of the games top teams play are against teams who are worse than them and they set the tone with what they want to do. As NB4 said, that's exactly what we did when we got promoted. That doesn't mean we didn't look at each opposition and try to take hold of their specific threats, we know Karanka was quite analytical about each opponent but ultimately the teams and the formation never changed much throughout the season, barring the front 4. I'd argue it's easier to challenge specific threats in a game when everyone knows the basics of what they are doing 80% of the time every game and I'd say that goes extra for the defensive side of the game. The players will have to be really on it to switch between a 4 and a 5 seamlessly.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

There's adapting for the one off and there's changing every game for the opposition. When the big teams face one another, like the Champions League final for example, tinkering happens, an edge has to be found through challenging specific threats, trying to take certain players out of a game, etc. I can also imagine as a player it's easier to take those challenges on board in bigger games, they're desperate to get one over the best.

But 80-90% of the games top teams play are against teams who are worse than them and they set the tone with what they want to do. As NB4 said, that's exactly what we did when we got promoted. That doesn't mean we didn't look at each opposition and try to take hold of their specific threats, we know Karanka was quite analytical about each opponent but ultimately the teams and the formation never changed much throughout the season, barring the front 4. I'd argue it's easier to challenge specific threats in a game when everyone knows the basics of what they are doing 80% of the time every game and I'd say that goes extra for the defensive side of the game. The players will have to be really on it to switch between a 4 and a 5 seamlessly.

And I really don't trust these players (or this manager) to be able to effectively manage these changes game to game on the basis of what we seen last season. It was one of our biggest problems in the back half of the season, particularly defensively - no one knew their jobs and most of the goals we conceded was down to opposition being allowed free runs all across the park.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Youngy228 said:

Interesting line in latest Gazette article from Warnock - We keep getting different problems, you'll find out in the next few weeks we've had a few more.  We just have to keep going really."

Just seems like he sounded for a lot of last season really.  Woe is me.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""