oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

This summer has the potential to be a catastrophe for the club.

It's clear based on his comments regarding the Akpom signing that Warnock is not utilising our recruitment department to decide who we sign this year. He's basing it off of his, Jepsen, and Blackwell's opinions of scouting the players.

What this means is we are going to have a squad designed and sculpted entirely by Warnock and his personal preferences. Players who are 28+, with little resale value, who are designed to make an immediate impact by playing functional (i.e physical, long ball) football, without an eye on the future.

If Warnock gets us promoted next year, the team will not be good enough to survive in the Premier League. We've seen that before in his times at Cardiff, QPR, etc. who have all been relegated since he got them there.

If Warnock does not get us promoted next year, we will be left with an ageing squad that is designed to play a brand of football that the young new-guard of coaches do not subscribe to.

It is an abject case of short-termism, almost cronysim, that Steve Gibson is willing to essentially hand over the keys of the football club to Neil Warnock on the basis that they're friends and that Warnock is an experienced, steady pair of hands. There are few managers on Earth that I would want to have as much power over the future of the football club as Neil Warnock currently possesses.

Worrisome times.

• Like 4
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

It's clear based on his comments regarding the Akpom signing that Warnock is not utilising our recruitment department to decide who we sign this year. He's basing it off of his, Jepsen, and Blackwell's opinions of scouting the players.

What this means is we are going to have a squad designed and sculpted entirely by Warnock and his personal preferences. Players who are 28+, with little resale value, who are designed to make an immediate impact by playing functional (i.e physical, long ball) football, without an eye on the future.

If Warnock gets us promoted next year, the team will not be good enough to survive in the Premier League. We've seen that before in his times at Cardiff, QPR, etc. who have all been relegated since he got them there.

If Warnock does not get us promoted next year, we will be left with an ageing squad that is designed to play a brand of football that the young new-guard of coaches do not subscribe to.

It is an abject case of short-termism, almost cronysim, that Steve Gibson is willing to essentially hand over the keys of the football club to Neil Warnock on the basis that they're friends and that Warnock is an experienced, steady pair of hands. There are few managers on Earth that I would want to have as much power over the future of the football club as Neil Warnock currently possesses.

Worrisome times.

This is one of the funniest takes I've read in awhile.

1. The Boro scouting department is literally a shambles and has been costing us millions ever since Aitor stopped making the decisions.

2. If Warnock gets us promoted and we come straight back down - so what? It happens to everyone because of the financial disparity between the leagues. At least the club will receive 100s of the millions and have it's future secured.

3. No evidence he's focusing on ageing players, in-fact everything we've heard is he's targeting 25 to 30 which the squad clearly needs.

4. In this league Warnock is not a steady pair of hands - he's a proven winner.

• Like 6
Just now, mendieta420 said:

This is one of the funniest takes I've read in awhile.

1. The Boro scouting department is literally a shambles and has been costing us millions ever since Aitor stopped making the decisions.

2. If Warnock gets us promoted and we come straight back down - so what? It happens to everyone because of the financial disparity between the leagues. At least the club will receive 100s of the millions and have it's future secured.

3. No evidence he's focusing on ageing players, in-fact everything we've heard is he's targeting 25 to 30 which the squad clearly needs.

4. In this league Warnock is not a steady pair of hands - he's a proven winner.

1. Agreed. It needs totally revamping from top to bottom with a clear philosophy and chain of command leading upto a Sporting Director. I'm not sure totally ignoring it in favour of Warnock's gut feeling on a player quite counts as that.

2. Agreed. It's not the worst case scenario, at all. But we've already done that in the last 5 years and we... spent the 100's of millions on bad players, and secured absolutely no future for the club whatsoever. Do you trust the club to not do that again?

3. Hoilett is nearly 31, Michael Smith is 29. They are the only concrete links we have, so they are the only ones I can judge on. However, he also signed Nathaniel Mendez-Laing- who is 29 - and Yannick Bolasie, who is 31. None of these players are in their prime. All the evidence suggests he is focused on ageing players.

4. He didn't win anything for us this year.

4 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

1. Agreed. It needs totally revamping from top to bottom with a clear philosophy and chain of command leading upto a Sporting Director. I'm not sure totally ignoring it in favour of Warnock's gut feeling on a player quite counts as that.

2. Agreed. It's not the worst case scenario, at all. But we've already done that in the last 5 years and we... spent the 100's of millions on bad players, and secured absolutely no future for the club whatsoever. Do you trust the club to not do that again?

3. Hoilett is nearly 31, Michael Smith is 29. They are the only concrete links we have, so they are the only ones I can judge on. However, he also signed Nathaniel Mendez-Laing- who is 29 - and Yannick Bolasie, who is 31. None of these players are in their prime. All the evidence suggests he is focused on ageing players.

4. He didn't win anything for us this year.

Adding to this, he's had one successful year in management in the last 10 years. This isn't including the Rotherham or first 8 games of his Boro career as these were short term and not sustained over a course of a season which is what we need.

Anything prior to that 10 years can be disregarded in a modern game context because football has changed so much. 

• Like 1

Hoilett - No concrete links and nothing but paper gossip
Smith - see above
NML - short term contract; no harm, might get 1 more season possibly
Bolasie - loan, also one of our better players second half of the season.

It's not like he's signing old players to 3+ year deals, he's being sensible, lets not go OTT here.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Hoilett - No concrete links and nothing but paper gossip
Smith - see above
NML - short term contract; no harm, might get 1 more season possibly
Bolasie - loan, also one of our better players second half of the season.

It's not like he's signing old players to 3+ year deals, he's being sensible, lets not go OTT here.

Okay. Fast-forward a year, and all of these short-term deals expire, and those players move on.

The club is... right back to where it is now? Needing another rebuild?

Is that good, long-term management with a clear path of progression? Or is it literally hoping and praying that it all gels perfectly for this one year?

• Like 1

Okay. Fast-forward a year, and all of these short-term deals expire, and those players move on.

Is that good, long-term management with a clear path of progression? Or is it literally hoping and praying that it all gels perfectly for this one year?

That's exactly what it is mate, and it's exactly what it's been since probably the premier League season under karanka. Even then the signings didn't seem like they were part of any plan, it was a little haphazard. Every season since there's been no long term plan evident. You could argue that we tried with woodgate and the execution was off, but realistically it was another hit and hope.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Honestly, I'd rather if he failed again that we at least had the chance to rebuild from scratch and weren't left with Gibson and Warnock's hangover to deal with.

My worry is that he's not just buying players with little resale value on longer contracts but players who might play well in a Warnock team but do bugger all in a team managed by somebody else. He's here next season no question about that so if we can keep his long-term damage to a minimum, that'd be great.

Even putting long-term concerns to one side... it's great to have names like Bolasie still being mentioned if that deal is even possible. But names like Smith and Ikpeazu, I mean at what point are you just buying the players who've struggled with the mentality to avoid relegation in this division and asking them to get you promoted? We're not talking about the equivalent of Liverpool signing Shaqiri and helping them win the league, here, are we?

The judgement will come on transfers at the end of the window/s and at various points during next season. If we signed Akinfenwa on a 3 year deal and made him our #9 there would still be hope from some (@Blanco) that he does the business. But like the Beast, there are plenty of players who you look at in these teams sitting near the bottom and think "What have you done as an individual that makes us think you'll help us get promoted next year?"

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Honestly, I'd rather if he failed again that we at least had the chance to rebuild from scratch and weren't left with Gibson and Warnock's hangover to deal with.

My worry is that he's not just buying players with little resale value on longer contracts but players who might play well in a Warnock team but do bugger all in a team managed by somebody else. He's here next season no question about that so if we can keep his long-term damage to a minimum, that'd be great.

Even putting long-term concerns to one side... it's great to have names like Bolasie still being mentioned if that deal is even possible. But names like Smith and Ikpeazu, I mean at what point are you just buying the players who've struggled with the mentality to avoid relegation in this division and asking them to get you promoted? We're not talking about the equivalent of Liverpool signing Shaqiri and helping them win the league, here, are we?

The judgement will come on transfers at the end of the window/s and at various points during next season. If we signed Akinfenwa on a 3 year deal and made him our #9 there would still be hope from some (@Blanco) that he does the business. But like the Beast, there are plenty of players who you look at in these teams sitting near the bottom and think "What have you done as an individual that makes us think you'll help us get promoted next year?"

Are you trying to say that you would hope that any signing we make doesn’t do the business?

6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Are you trying to say that you would hope that any signing we make doesn’t do the business?

I don't think there's a real Boro fan who wouldn't hope they were wrong about some players, hell, who wouldn't hope Chuba Akpom scores 30 goals next season, but there are some situations we end up in where that hope is so overwhelmed by the expectation that it's barely worth talking about. 😄

1 hour ago, Smokedsalmon said:

It's clear based on his comments regarding the Akpom signing that Warnock is not utilising our recruitment department to decide who we sign this year. He's basing it off of his, Jepsen, and Blackwell's opinions of scouting the players.[1]

What this means is we are going to have a squad designed and sculpted entirely by Warnock and his personal preferences.[2] Players who are 28+, with little resale value, who are designed to make an immediate impact by playing functional (i.e physical, long ball) football, without an eye on the future.

If Warnock gets us promoted next year, the team will not be good enough to survive in the Premier League.[3] We've seen that before in his times at Cardiff, QPR, etc. who have all been relegated since he got them there.

If Warnock does not get us promoted next year, we will be left with an ageing squad that is designed to play a brand of football that the young new-guard of coaches do not subscribe to.[4]

It is an abject case of short-termism, almost cronysim[5], that Steve Gibson is willing to essentially hand over the keys of the football club to Neil Warnock on the basis that they're friends and that Warnock is an experienced, steady pair of hands. There are few managers on Earth that I would want to have as much power over the future of the football club as Neil Warnock currently possesses.

Worrisome times.

You needn't worry. At best the club will continue to tread water under Warnock.

1. Given how crap Boro's scouts are - can you blame him? At least they'll be taking full responsibility for our signings and can't blame duff info from the scouts.

2. Tell me what manager DOESN'T do this?

3. Even with the £170m we'd get for promotion I doubt his ability to fashion a team that could survive in the PL. That would be the time to dump him and get a more competent manager.

4. At least it won't have cost us much. Also the possibility that his mates Blackwell & Jepson will inherit the team when he leaves...so it'll be tailor made for them.

5. Uncertain times mean no-one without the luxury of billionaire backers (or a competent DoF) can afford to think too far ahead. Warnock has turned us from surefire relegation candidates into a mediocre mid-table team. I'll settle for that for now...but hopefully not too much longer.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 5
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""