• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Just as a reminder, this is what a PAOK fan said on here when Akpom was being linked with us:

"You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 season. During the first half of that season he would only come in as sub but during the January transfer window, PAOK sold their best striker, Prijovic in Arabia. Everyone was panicking since we were on route to our first championship in years. Chuba stepped up and was one of the best players, in the second half of the season. He contributed in PAOK's first championship in 34 years (!) where we were also invincibles. Some of his best games were against Olympiakos in Toumpa were he scored an impressive goal and his performance against AEK in the cup final where he scored an impressive overhead kick to win us the double (he was also the MVP of the final). 

His scoring record might not be the best but he is a really hard working striker, who runs a lot without the ball. His positioning is good and he can press a lot. To be honest I am surprised that he chose a Championship team to continue his career, but his will to play near his family played a big part in his decision. Last year he was linked with West Ham and this summer with Besiktas (a Europa league team that PAOK also beat two weeks ago in a game where Akpom had an assist and a great overall performance, but a missed pen 😭). IMO he can be considered Premier League level. I dont know if he is a starter there but he can surely fight for a position."

No wonder we were excited...

57 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Come off it, our fans all loved him up until recently, I don't get the all of a sudden change in mindset towards him.  Ok since Jan our forms not been great, but I think we can all agree we were punching. He's our best chance out of this league, his track record of promotions is second to none.

It's not that sudden at all, definitely not on here. He certainly wasn't being hailed as the messiah, people are just thankful a good manager came in and turned the ship around and prevented us from being relegated. I don't think many on here are ungrateful about that but saving us from relegation shouldn't mean he gets free reign over the team the season after. Sunderland did that for a good few years in the Prem and went through tons of managers before eventually cracking and getting relegated twice in two seasons.

Warnock was a good choice for keeping us in the division. Despite that, there wasn't a huge hankering on here to give him the job afterwards. It represented another desperate try for promotion, one that has failed.

We certainly can't all agree we were punching, assuming you mean punching above our weight. Again, people manage to see Warnock finishing 10th with us after last season as this massive improvement whilst also thinking the fact Woodgate had us nearly relegated a bad reflection on him as a manager. In the long-term since we left the PL in 2017, we are still on a downwards trend. We're no closer to going up and the change from this season to next to make that happen has to be pretty monumental in Warnock's favour. If it goes wrong, where do we go from there?

14 minutes ago, ballyclover said:

To be fair we spent

£10 mil on Rhodes- Fail

£15 mil on Britt-fail (ish)

£7 mil on Fletcher- fail

£6 mil Gesteed--fail

£3 mil on Akpom-Fail

So at least our striker fails are getting cheaper...

Rhodes was not a fail imo.

Firstly, some of his 6 goals were viral for us that season in end proved the difference between promotion and no promotion. The late equaliser v MK Dons to get a point and obviously the two late goals v Bolton turned a loss in to a win. 

Secondly, Sheff Wed paid us £10m for him so we did not lose anything on him

22 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Play Lewis Wing in Midfield and the strikers might get some service.

They won't the ball will to busy bypassing the midfield in the air to a big plank up front. 

I'd like Wingy to be given another chance but where does he play if Tav is fit? 

Tav 

Morsy  Wing

Would that work? 

Edited by Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die
14 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

They won't the ball will to busy bypassing the midfield in the air to a big plank up front. 

Tav 

Morsy  Wing

Would that work? 

No, that midfield would be absolutely porous. Gone are the days when 1 midfielder can be relied upon to fulfill the defensive role in midfield. You NEED 2 players in the middle who can work hard and keep possession. Wing is waaaay too blasé in his defensive duties.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Play Lewis Wing in Midfield and the strikers might get some service.

Eh...I thought Wing's role was long-range artillery? Get the ball to him 30 yards out and he'll thump a rocket shot into the back of the net...

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Has he learned to pass the ball since going to Rotherham like?

Ah, you're used to the hoof ball and not the the through ball. I see what you've done there.

If Wing is given a season he would contribute to plenty of goals, both scoring and assists.

25 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Tav 

Morsy  Wing

Would that work? 

Generic keeper

Anfernee Fry McNair Bola

Howson Morsy

Tav Wing Bolasie(?)

Generic striker

2 hours ago, scotty189 said:

Come off it, our fans all loved him up until recently, I don't get the all of a sudden change in mindset towards him.  Ok since Jan our forms not been great, but I think we can all agree we were punching. He's our best chance out of this league, his track record of promotions is second to none.

Um...how many fans have you actually asked?

I know a fair few on here were sceptical when Gibson brought him on board.  Viewed as a safe pair of hands at most, rather than someone to take the club forward...both in terms of his age and footballing philosophy.

As for his record 8 promotions - 5 of them were in the 1980s and 1990s, back when his style of play was much more in vogue. They were also with teams from the old Conference, Third and Second Divisions.

Football has changed a fair bit since his first 2 PL promotions with Sheff Utd and QPR (14 and 10 years ago respectively). With Cardiff he spent something in the region of £12m and brought in nearly an entire squad's worth of players. Loaned in another half dozen. Something he doesn't have the luxury of doing now.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""