oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

30 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

No, that midfield would be absolutely porous. Gone are the days when 1 midfielder can be relied upon to fulfill the defensive role in midfield. You NEED 2 players in the middle who can work hard and keep possession. Wing is waaaay too blasé in his defensive duties.

I'll be honest if I were manager I'd struggle to fit Wing into my team. I'd have a centre pairing of something like McNair and Morsy with Tav playing behind the strikers.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Just now, AnglianRed said:

Um...how many fans have you actually asked?

I know a fair few on here were sceptical when Gibson brought him on board.  Viewed as a safe pair of hands at most, rather than someone to take the club forward...both in terms of his age and footballing philosophy.

As for his record 8 promotions - 5 of them were in the 1980s and 1990s, back when his style of play was much more in vogue. They were also with teams from the old Conference, Third and Second Divisions.

Football has changed a fair bit since his first 2 PL promotions with Sheff Utd and QPR (14 and 10 years ago respectively). With Cardiff he spent something in the region of £12m and brought in nearly an entire squad's worth of players. Loaned in another half dozen. Something he doesn't have the luxury of doing now.

agree with most of this, but with the cardiff promotion, they didnt spend their way out the championship,most of his key signings were free transfers, when he actually spent money it was wasted on players who offered nothing to the promtion push.
11 of that 12 million was spent on gary madine and lee tomin who only played 13 games each and scored 1 goal between them.
the key men were all on frees, Callum pattison, Mendez lang, neil etheridge, Loïc Damour etc.
EDIT: and junior holliet the season before was also a free

warnock has a good eye for a bargin, but shouldnt be trusted with large sums of money.

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 2

Warnock's big money signings at previous clubs haven't turned out to be hidden gems, so I'm not sure why people are surprised that the Akpom signing has turned out this way.

Shocking business and if I was Gibson I would be hesitant on giving him money to spend espeically after how much he said he was the number 1 target and then S##t on him a few months later saying it was the recruitment fault and only watching videos.

Akpom going on loan is a disaster move, once he comes back, he will only have a year left on his contract and then will leave us on a free the following year meaning we have wasted £3million. Exact same situation as Stojanovic (Granted he cost less and was Woodgate signing but we have done the same to him). Considering there isn't much money around at the club, we are doing our best at throwing money away in what is a critical period within football financially.

Honestly, I fear for our recruitment over the summer and where we move forward as a club. Lots of journey men with no sell on value, please please please let's not offer them anymore than a 1year contract for the likes of Hoillet and other names I've heard.

I've heard 2-3 targets where if things go right, they could progress and sell them on for a profit like Mendes Gomes, but the majority of signings are going to be players like Hoillet unfortunately. 

Edited by diggerlad07
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, tmcc said:

agree with most of this, but with the cardiff promotion, they didnt spend their way out the championship,most of his key signings were free transfers, when he actually spent money it was wasted on players who offered nothing to the promtion push.
11 of that 12 million was spent on gary madine and lee tomin who only played 13 games each and scored 1 goal between them.
the key men were all on frees, Callum pattison, Mendez lang, neil etheridge, Loïc Damour etc.

warnock has a good eye for a bargin, but shouldnt be trusted with large sums of money.

They aren't bargains if they are on big salaries and some of those free signings were on big wages.  

You've just reminded me though that Warnock was the manager at Cardiff when Pulis was the manager here, and we attempted to sign Madine from them in a swap with Assombalonga, or we wanted to sign him and they wanted to sign Assombalonga.  I believe that was the case, I don't know if any ITK types can confirm that?  Kinda funny in a couple of ways when you think about it 🙂

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, tmcc said:

EDIT: and junior holliet the season before was also a free

Fair points.

That said, even if we could get that many free transfers now, we likely couldn't afford to pay them all. I know he offloaded a lot of players as well, but still ended up with a pretty large squad.

• Like 1
Just now, Changing Times said:

They aren't bargains if they are on big salaries and some of those free signings were on big wages.  

You've just reminded me though that Warnock was the manager at Cardiff when Pulis was the manager here, and we attempted to sign Madine from them in a swap with Assombalonga, or we wanted to sign him and they wanted to sign Assombalonga.  I believe that was the case, I don't know if any ITK types can confirm that?  Kinda funny in a couple of ways when you think about it 🙂

which of those players were on big wages?
etheridge came from league 1 walsall so doubt he was on much
callum paterson came from hearts so again doubt his wage was massive
mendez lang was another player from a league 1 club
loic damour was league 2 france.

the only player who probs had a decent wage was holliet, but he got 9 goals and 11 assiasts as awinger in promotion season, i think most cardiff fans would class him as a bargin.

Edited by tmcc
11 minutes ago, tmcc said:

the only player who probs had a decent wage was holliet, but he got 9 goals and 11 assiasts as awinger in promotion season, i think most cardiff fans would class him as a bargin.

EDIT: also the wages would have to be massive for it not be a bargin to sign a free transfer player. for example.

a decent winger in this division is gonna cost you 3-6 million at least

average wage is 29,000 in the championsip or 1.5 million a year

you could offer twice the average wage to a free agent (which i highly doubt clubs do concidering players like britt are on 40k) and you still only end up spending 3 million a year.

Where as actually signing a player you have the 3 million fee from the get go and 1.5 million in wages on top of that.

really??

Not that surprising really with parachute payments you could have half a dozen teams in the league paying premier league wages. 

that article says Stoke had half a dozen on over 50,000 a week and one player in the league was on nearly 70,000 a week. 

these are from the 19/20 season.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

really??

Whatever figure it is will be skewed by the wages of relegated clubs from the past two seasons who are still on their PL contracts - eveN with any relegation clauses. The likes of Derby - Keown was on £24k per week according to the reports of his lawsuit against DC - will also raise the average.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I still believe Wing in a number 10 will be a success.

I really can’t see that. He’s slow as a turtle and couldn’t dribble past a cone. His passing isn’t out of the ordinary either. He’s a solid lower championship midfielder with a hard shooting foot. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, tmcc said:

I was thinking about the likes of Hoilett, Chamakh, Bamba, Halford.  The Cardiff wage bill at the end of May 2017 was £20m for player wages only.  A year later it was £31m.  So they increased their player wage bill by £11m in the year they won promotion.  That's a lot of money inside a year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

They won't the ball will to busy bypassing the midfield in the air to a big plank up front. 

I'd like Wingy to be given another chance but where does he play if Tav is fit? 

Tav 

Morsy  Wing

Would that work? 

I think we should rotate between Tav and wing. Tav is first choice but use wing as back up.

5 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

They had also dropped it by 5 or 6 the year before

I know they did, and then it went up by £11m in the year that they won promotion.  It's no issue for me other than to point out that Cardiff didn't get promoted through Warnock finding bargains.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""