oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

The reality is, Evans is not much good on the pitch so the easy thing to do is just not sign him. That solves the terrible PR problem which the club might have. 

If he was a 20 goal a season striker then I could half understand the logic even if I don't agree with it, but he's not that either. 

If we are in the market for a bang average journeyman then it shouldn't be too hard to find one. 

Edited by Duvel
  • Like 10
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Anyone seen anything of the other fella the sun linked us with? Oxford keeper?

Stephens? From what I've seen of Oxford (admittedly mainly highlights) he seems a handy keeper. Quite young and I think this is his "break through" season, so I'd be cautious of having him as first choice straight away, but having him as a back up would suit me (unless the first choice is Bettinelli). 

I think he is also the Keeper that Karl Robinson said got headbutted in the game against Sunderland recently.

Edit: Stevens not Stephens, got my Jack Stephens (Southampton)/Jack Stevens (Oxford) mixed up. Despite the typo it is the Keeper I'm thinking of at Oxford.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Yes, keep posting, it’s good to know how people feel about this issue. 

I’m with DZ on this one. It’s a case I followed quite closely during it’s time. A few of the facts that didn’t sit right with me were 

She had no alcohol in her system the next morning when she went to the police. (Although did test positive for cocaine) 

There was footage of her leaving the hotel, bending down to pick up a pizza from the floor (in very big heel stilettos) and didn’t stumble/fall before returning to the hotel room.  Suggesting she can’t have been that drunk

The whole “when I make it rich” Facebook posts/messages she made and then subsequently deleted

Evidence that the prosecution petitioned to have omitted (surely all evidence should be allowed)

After the trial

A jury of 7 women and five men took less than 3 hours to find I’m not guilty  I honestly think women would be more biased towards him and more sympathetic to the girl  

The witnesses that came forward to say they had the same type of encounters with the girl (even citing the same words/positions/situation that Evans made in his statement) of which she couldn’t remember but the police didn’t pursue them for rape  

There are many more. Do I think he raped her. No

Do I think she set out to lie? No

However because this happened in the grey area of he said/she said and there’s obviously money to be made and outside agencies often muddy the waters  

Interestingly, his first law firm that defended him made such an incompetent job of it that not only did he end up in prison he subsequently sued them with an out of court settlement being the outcome (£800,000 is the amount being banded around) 

Back to football

should we sign Ched Evans? No because he’s crap 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I’m with DZ on this one. It’s a case I followed quite closely during it’s time. A few of the facts that didn’t sit right with me were 

She had no alcohol in her system the next morning when she went to the police. (Although did test positive for cocaine) 

There was footage of her leaving the hotel, bending down to pick up a pizza from the floor (in very big heel stilettos) and didn’t stumble/fall before returning to the hotel room.  Suggesting she can’t have been that drunk

The whole “when I make it rich” Facebook posts/messages she made and then subsequently deleted

Evidence that the prosecution petitioned to have omitted (surely all evidence should be allowed)

After the trial

A jury of 7 women and five men took less than 3 hours to find I’m not guilty  I honestly think women would be more biased towards him and more sympathetic to the girl  

The witnesses that came forward to say they had the same type of encounters with the girl (even citing the same words/positions/situation that Evans made in his statement) of which she couldn’t remember but the police didn’t pursue them for rape  

There are many more. Do I think he raped her. No

Do I think she set out to lie? No

However because this happened in the grey area of he said/she said and there’s obviously money to be made and outside agencies often muddy the waters  

Interestingly, his first law firm that defended him made such an incompetent job of it that not only did he end up in prison he subsequently sued them with an out of court settlement being the outcome (£800,000 is the amount being banded around) 

Back to football

should we sign Ched Evans? No because he’s crap 

Where on earth are you getting the supposed report that there was no alcohol in her system the next day? Even Evans commented on her drinking in his testimony. Yes, she also tested positive for cocaine and cannabis, but there's nothing in the official court records regarding any evidence as to what you suggest.

We better not sign Ched Evans, really can't be arsed with that circus following the club.

He's a bang average footballer and unquestionably a dodgy character based on his previous actions (even if found not guilty).

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Where on earth are you getting the supposed report that there was no alcohol in her system the next day? Even Evans commented on her drinking in his testimony. Yes, she also tested positive for cocaine and cannabis, but there's nothing in the official court records regarding any evidence as to what you suggest.

I’m just going from memory. Like I said I followed it quite closely at the time. I found it strange as she did drink a fair bit on the night so you would have thought something would’ve turned up. But the defence painted a picture of her pretty much paralytic  being carried into the hotel which is just not true. 

16 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I’m just going from memory. Like I said I followed it quite closely at the time. I found it strange as she did drink a fair bit on the night so you would have thought something would’ve turned up. But the defence painted a picture of her pretty much paralytic  being carried into the hotel which is just not true. 

Well I'm going from the official court documentation, which with all due respect I'll accept over your memory mate. Even Evans' representatives are quoted in the retrial mentioning her alcohol intake, so it just doesn't make sense.

It's also worth noting that Evans wasn't found innocent, or not guilty in the retrial. Only that the case of the victim hadn't been proven, in their view, beyond reasonable doubt. So he's not innocent in the same way she's not guilty. 

8 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

Well I'm going from the official court documentation, which with all due respect I'll accept over your memory mate. Even Evans' representatives are quoted in the retrial mentioning her alcohol intake, so it just doesn't make sense.

It's also worth noting that Evans wasn't found innocent, or not guilty in the retrial. Only that the case of the victim hadn't been proven, in their view, beyond reasonable doubt. So he's not innocent in the same way she's not guilty. 

You believe what you want. I respect your opinion and this certainly isn’t a Uwe v Snowblind engagement 

As a criminal barrister can I just add some of my professional thoughts.

1. Firstly not guilty and acquittal means the same thing. If you are acquitted of a crime it means you are not guilty of a crime.

Therefore the poster who said there is a difference between the two terms i am afraid is incorrect as there no diffference in relaity at all to a not guilty verdict and a verdict of acquittal 

2. Secondly When anyone goes to trial there are two outcomes. Guilty or not guilty. Someone is ASSUMED innocent if they found not guilty. 

The key point is this: Whether someone is found not guilty it does not mean the complainant was a liar. It just means based on evidence before the court they could not be satisfied Ched Evans was guilty of the offence. This does not mean girl was a lair.

However, Ched Evans deserves to be treated as an innocent man because in the court of law on his retrial he was found not guilty so there is an assumption he is innocent.

Whether he committed a moral crime is another matter but morally none of us are perfect.

However, as many have said bottom line remains he is a poor footballer. He coming up to age of 33 and in my view offers nothing to us a club if we wish to better this seasons showing.

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

As a criminal barrister can I just add some of my professional thoughts.

1. Firstly not guilty and acquittal means the same thing. If you are acquitted of a crime it means you are not guilty of a crime.

Therefore the poster who said there is a difference between the two terms i am afraid is incorrect as there no diffference in relaity at all to a not guilty verdict and a verdict of acquittal 

2. Secondly When anyone goes to trial there are two outcomes. Guilty or not guilty. Someone is ASSUMED innocent if they found not guilty. 

The key point is this: Whether someone is found not guilty it does not mean the complainant was a liar. It just means based on evidence before the court they could not be satisfied Ched Evans was guilty of the offence. This does not mean girl was a lair.

However, Ched Evans deserves to be treated as an innocent man because in the court of law on his retrial he was found not guilty so there is an assumption he is innocent.

Whether he committed a moral crime is another matter but morally none of us are perfect.

However, as many have said bottom line remains he is a poor footballer. He coming up to age of 33 and in my view offers nothing to us a club if we wish to better this seasons showing.

Yeah, it was me that said that and I was wrong, I was going off what I read during Trump's second impeachment trial. Seems the law is slightly different in the USA.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""