• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Looks like he’s the utility player NW mentioned, he can play RB, LB, DM and CM. 

Don't we have some of them already?  Dijksteel, McNair, Howson.   Seems pointless signing another one, better to sign someone to replace a player in the current team than sign back ups to them.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Don't we have some of them already?  Dijksteel, McNair, Howson.   Seems pointless signing another one, better to sign someone to replace a player in the current team than sign back ups to them.

We'll be doing that with strikers and hopefully a goalkeeper though.

Would sooner loan Nathan Wood out for another season than have him on our bench, he's been dropped by Crewe for the last few weeks, it'd be nice to have a player who can fill in across the backline on the bench.

I'd say at a minimum, we need 1 striker, 1 GK, and a winger (depending on the out of contracts/loans) for the starting 11.

We then need another striker, a left back and a centre back for the bench.

1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

We'll be doing that with strikers and hopefully a goalkeeper though.

Would sooner loan Nathan Wood out for another season than have him on our bench, he's been dropped by Crewe for the last few weeks, it'd be nice to have a player who can fill in across the backline on the bench.

I'd say at a minimum, we need 1 striker, 1 GK, and a winger (depending on the out of contracts/loans) for the starting 11.

We then need another striker, a left back and a centre back for the bench.

We don't really have a choice with those though.  Interesting that the only thing stopping us from promotion this season appears to have been the GK and a striker essentially.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We don't really have a choice with those though.  Interesting that the only thing stopping us from promotion this season appears to have been the GK and a striker essentially.

It isn't, it's also the midfield when we've had to have Morsy, Sav & Howson all playing. The undynamic trio. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Howson drops to more of a role player next year because his legs look shot. It's Clayton all over again.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Spot on CT

I heard NW is in contact with Swan Vesta for a couple of good strikers. It’s rumored NW has witnessed a few he believes are very good around the box. Swan claim they are fired up by the approach but warned they have seen these approaches burn out in the past. NW has not been put off by the challenge saying “there maybe light at the end of the tunnel”. Mean while SG is cautious about putting his hand in his pocket having had his fingers burnt in the past. A spokesperson for Swan claims they have learnt from the past and now produce in greater numbers excellent, safety match strikers, less temperamental unless rubbed up the wrong way. NW is all fired up ready to strike up what he sees as a good deal. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Hehe. I know it's tounge in cheek but that's just part of the problem in my eyes. I'd add creativity, pace and a positive mindset to the reasons that have stopped us from promotion.

7 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I heard NW is in contact with Swan Vesta for a couple of good strikers. It’s rumored NW has witnessed a few he believes are very good around the box. Swan claim they are fired up by the approach but warned they have seen these approaches burn out in the past. NW has not been put off by the challenge saying “there maybe light at the end of the tunnel”. Mean while SG is cautious having had his fingers burnt on several occasions. 

We could do with a few of Tordenskjolds Soldiers in our team.

• Like 2
On 4/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

Not related but your comment about upgrading Johnson made me think of it. Just for complete clarity I am not specifically saying Johnson is the weakest link in our team.

But I was reading something that identified Football as a "Weak-link" game (they'd looked at a load of games and teams). What it meant by that was it was much more beneficial to improve your weakest areas of your squad, than bring in someone who is of real quality in an area of strength. As the weak link will negate the quality of the "marquee" signing and impact the team as a whole.

It sounds obvious, but basketball is apparently the opposite to football. Basketball ball by the same measure is a "Strong-link" game. Where by bringing in a "marquee" player is much more beneficial than it would be to try and upgrade the weak links. The weak links in basketball do very little to actually negate the overall impact on the marquee/best player and the team.

That's a really interesting philosophy, and it makes complete sense. Even with a good outfield team in front of him, Bettinelli would still cost us far too many goals and points. Whereas put Randolph between the sticks, with his weekly worldies, and the entire team would benefit. Not only would a great keeper earn us extra points, but the defenders would gain in confidence from having a keeper actually capable of keeping. And we wouldn't constantly give the ball back to the opposition from goal kicks and clearances, inviting yet more pressure.

I feel like we have good options across most of the pitch now, bar GK and ST. Fix those two positions and there's no reason why we can't be banging on the door of the automatics next season, providing the clubs that come down from the PL aren't in a really strong position.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Promotion by autos?  No.  But is it unrealistic to think that had we a single competent striker and a half decent keeper we'd be 10 points better off and in the play offs?

18 minutes ago, macapes said:

Promotion by autos?  No.  But is it unrealistic to think that had we a single competent striker and a half decent keeper we'd be 10 points better off and in the play offs?

The January signings being made in the Summer would have helped too. Having the likes of Kebano, Watmore, and Bolasie from the first game would have got us over the line in a few tight games I reckon.

And I know every team has injuries... but we do seem to have had some seriously rotten luck with injuries this year. Long periods without Tav, Fry, Hall, Dijksteel, Browne & Fletcher (and now Morsy) in a thin squad has been frustrating. I have no idea what Warnock's first XI from a fully fit squad would even be.  

1 hour ago, macapes said:

We do have competent strikers.  We don't have a 6'3'' workhorse however, which is probably what we'd have ideally had as far as Warnock is concerned.  Assombalonga has hit double figures in his previous 5 seasons at this level, and 14/15 in four of them.  There are only 5 players in the Championship who currently have more than 14 goals.  There are only 13 who have hit double figures, and not all of them are strikers.  If Assombalonga had a 'normal' season for us, he'd be right up there.  Akpom's career record to date has been to score about 7/8 goals as far as I can see, no more than that.  His last go at this level he got 3 goals for Hull although that was a few a years back.  He isn't particularly big, probably 6'1''?  So in his case we can probably say we at least got what we paid for, and the question then becomes why did Warnock buy him?  Fletcher has only had 400 odd mins of football this season and has a couple of goals.  Bolasie has about the same mins and has one goal.  Is Fletcher now incompetent because I don't think people were saying that a few months back, in fact they were gutted that he was injured?  We have a manager who has steadfastly refused to play in a way, which might/could, get the best out of some of our players, and it's the players who somehow get the blame for it?  That just seems backwards to me.

The game against Millwall, where our strikers were to blame, and then thrown under the bus by Warnock, we had Bolasie, Akpom and Tavernier as our attackers didn't we?  All came off at half time, Tavernier was injured though.  The following game it was Watmore and Kebano with Bolasie and Mendez-Laing either side of them.  We were going to have a go in this game but we didn't.  The last game it was Watmore (because he works hard according to Warnock) with Kebano and Spence either side of him, and we managed 3 shots in 90 mins.  We've tried several players and combinations of those players.  We know that some of these players are clearly more than competent at this level, because their careers to date have shown this.  But none of them are good enough here?

As for Bettinelli, that's an odd one I'll grant you that.  He has been one of the strangest goalkeepers I've ever seen since he's been here.  Capable of some very good saves, whether by accident or design, but also makes some really basic mistakes.  I dare say he has actually won us some points at times but he's also cost us some.  Whether the balance is positive or negative, I really don't know.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

That's a really interesting philosophy, and it makes complete sense. Even with a good outfield team in front of him, Bettinelli would still cost us far too many goals and points. Whereas put Randolph between the sticks, with his weekly worldies, and the entire team would benefit. Not only would a great keeper earn us extra points, but the defenders would gain in confidence from having a keeper actually capable of keeping. And we wouldn't constantly give the ball back to the opposition from goal kicks and clearances, inviting yet more pressure.

I feel like we have good options across most of the pitch now, bar GK and ST. Fix those two positions and there's no reason why we can't be banging on the door of the automatics next season, providing the clubs that come down from the PL aren't in a really strong position.

Exactly. Improve the quality of the goalkeeper and it automatically improves the confidence of the defence which increases the team as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""