oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-facing-toughest-summer-20428569.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone else getting the sense that expectations are being dampened by a lot of the things coming out of the club lately? From the manager to the gazette, everything coming out from the club seems rather meh about what we have ahead. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-facing-toughest-summer-20428569.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Anyone else getting the sense that expectations are being dampened by a lot of the things coming out of the club lately? From the manager to the gazette, everything coming out from the club seems rather meh about what we have ahead. 

It pretty much echoes what I've been thinking for a while.

If Boro want to become genuine promotion contenders, its going to take a lot more than just 3 or 4 signings.

We need more quality in the starting XI and on the bench and Warnock somehow needs to get the players to buy into how he wants them to play. Its no good having quality players if the team spirit, work ethic etc. are missing.

In fact thats my biggest worry. He can sign whoever he likes, but if he can't get them motivated and giving their best, we're still not going to make much progress. Its why I've been so sceptical about our chances of promotion next season.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

If this is meant to prepare us for the worst, the worst being a *** summer before another *** season, I'd like Warnock to walk now. Don't big us up to be giving it a right old go next season if the feeling is we're gonna really struggle to get promoted. If we're gonna build a team in any way in this man's image this summer, it has to be built with promotion as the aim and that's it. If we're not expecting to challenge in any way, shape or form and it's all about Warnock 'giving it a go', get him out and get someone in who's actually going to begin the long-term process of building a side capable of getting us up in a few years time.

Edited by wilsoncgp
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

It pretty much echoes what I've been thinking for a while.

If Boro want to become genuine promotion contenders, its going to take a lot more than just 3 or 4 signings.

We need more quality in the starting XI and on the bench and Warnock somehow needs to get the players to buy into how he wants them to play. Its no good having quality players if the team spirit, work ethic etc. are missing.

In fact thats my biggest worry. He can sign whoever he likes, but if he can't get them motivated and giving their best, we're still not going to make much progress. Its why I've been so sceptical about our chances of promotion next season.

It's going to sound like I'm going on, but I don't really care - players are coached in a different way from youth level now adays. They aren't allowed to head the ball, English football has taken a turn towards the more technical, European style with less of an emphasis on physical attributes.

As a result, logically there will be less players knocking around that will fit right into warnocks preferred style of play to an effective level. It's why these old school coaches are slowly but surely becoming redundant, they just don't fit the ethos of the game anymore - Bruce won't last past this season, big Sam is about to be relegated, pulis is practically unemployable now. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It’s concerning that this has only just dawned on him when it was obvious from the close of that last window how big the job was.

Yeah it's a pretty massive u turn which makes me think there's actually been an event that has triggered all of this as opposed to just people not buying into his vision. It was only a few weeks ago that he was saying he only needed 3 or 4 and now its sounding like he wants a whole new team. Anyone heard anything about what might have triggered such a shift?

That Gazette article is *** miserable, Jesus Christ.

They really are *** nowadays.

It didn't take a super human effort to keep us in the league last season, it only took a half competent manager.

We were in no danger of relegation before Woodgate proceeded to fail to beat Wigan, Barnsley and Luton in quick succession and go 3 months without a win.

The relentless negativity from the Gazette and from Warnock himself is just laying the groundwork for an early exit at this rate. Pathetic.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

in the interview, he does say his aim is promotion next season ,and the core remaning with the addiitons he wants can achieve that

Yeah, I'm watching the interview now and it's far less doom and gloom than the Gazette opinion piece has made it seem.

Embarrassing from them, though you wouldn't be surprised if it was the club telling them to limit expectations with a hatchet job.

So I'll draw back my criticism of Warnock a bit, though I do still think he's going too far with his public criticism of the players as it's bound to have knock on effects.

• Like 1

At a guess they maybe thought that a few would re-sign on lower terms and that Bettinelli for instance would be signing with his contract at Fulham up. His consequent performances I would hope have killed that stone dead. Fletcher I suspect was one who NW wanted but it's clear that his unwillingness to commit has ended that thought process. Akpom clearly isn't what they had hoped he would be and Spence looks like a skilled athlete but lacking a footballing brain.  The loan players like as not will not be sticking around and maybe NML's injury is more than they are saying. That's just a few then throw in a few more who have maybe decided to sulk and become a "clique" and it's gone from needing a few to needing an entire team.

What does surprise me is that this is suddenly news, many of us have been saying on here for months that we needed to sign around nine players at least come the Summer. I don't think all that much has changed other than the enormity and reality of it hadn't hit them until the last week or so which is the real concern for me. There are however a lot of players with contracts expiring in the summer and clubs who simply cannot afford their current wage demands. Some players will be smart and realise that Covid has changed the world and get signed up quickly on more realistic wages whilst others will be scrambling late in the day when their agents realise that Championship clubs are looking at sub £10K a week contracts at best and not £20K plus.

It's great PR build it all up positive when season tickets were on sale we were winning games, talk of how we have a strong core squad with 3-4 quality players in the summer how we will be having a promotion charge so people go spend their 500-600 on a season ticket to be apart of Warnock last year in management and last promotion. Then as soon as sales end our form falls of cliff, Warnock starts saying he needs a whole new squad pretty much and Gazette write depressing stuff to try lower expectations they had litteraly just hyped up a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CrazyL said:

Assombalonga & Fletcher have left the club this morning.

Source?

Not much of a loss if true, hopefully they've forfeited the rest of their wages but highly doubtful.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""