oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

I watched videos of Toney back when we were linked with him and thought he looked an absolutely donkey in League 1, he’s turned out alright. 

I wouldn’t have huge hopes for Wyke but it’s worth the risk on a free, I’d still go for a more sure option to start over him to begin with 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Watching videos of Wyke he seems to score vast magority of his goals through heading crosses. He could be a great asset if Bolaise and some other wingers whips pinpoint crosses in 

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, CrazyL said:

It’s going to depend a lot on what Bolasie wants to do. We won’t break the wage structure anymore- those days are gone. Hence Fletcher leaving. Bolasie will definitely have bigger contract offers from overseas so it depends on how much he buys into Warnocks project.

Hope we stick to that too! Been lumbered with very high earning players with little return for too long. But we never seem to learn! 

Speaking of wage structure and controlling it, since Brentford got promoted to the Championship in 13/14. Their wage bill from the first Championship season (14/15) to the end of the 18/19 season had risen by under £2m (5 years). *

*Since then though they have increased the wage bill significantly.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think some caution is justifiable, though. He's had a quality season, no doubt about that. But his good seasons are few and far between. He's had two relatively rubbish seasons with Sunderland before this one. A sign of improvement is great, a big one at that. But improvement at the level below us and an improvement that has seemingly been brought about by numerous factors, including the changes Sunderland have made to accommodate him. Will we do the same?

Thats always the cautionary note that rings in my mind.

We have signed a few players with big reputations, who have done well at their previous clubs...only for them to turn in underwhelming performances when they pull a Boro shirt on.

Sunderland's team and playing style are clearly geared to providing goalscoring opportunities for Wyke and its evidently working well at the moment. The big question is: could Boro do the same?

• Like 1

Not to be rude but could someone please explain to me the benefit of bringing in an untested 18 year old loanee, when we have our own young player to develop. I see no harm in Coburn keeping his space on the bench for another season before a loan deal similar to Wood, instead of developing another team's player.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Ogbeche173 said:

Not to be rude but could someone please explain to me the benefit of bringing in an untested 18 year old loanee, when we have our own young player to develop. I see no harm in Coburn keeping his space on the bench for another season before a loan deal similar to Wood, instead of developing another team's player.

To me, it’s just the fact that Liam Delap is from the City academy, has had experience playing for the first team and has trained with them often. Coburn still needs to develop and I think NW is absolutely right about being careful with him. I think Delap makes more sense if we’re going to challenge next season than Coburn. Could be another Bamford 2014/15.

4 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

or another Nmecha/Roberts...  would rather develop Coburn, Malley, Hackney 

Fair enough, I see where you’re coming from. I just think personally Delap would be a better option for a promotion push. I’m sure NW will do what he believes best for us next year.

• Like 1

Won’t happen because it’s boro, but Diedhiou, Delap and Wyke seem like pretty decent options. Add that with a potential mobile striker in Watmore/Akpom it gives us some decent options. If those deals happened it’d be No. 1 priority to get a winger in who could get past his man and cross a ball. I’d take bolasie back in a heartbeat if the deals right.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I am liking the fact we are trying to get the business done early never have we been this far down the line for signings this early 

Well nothings actually happened yet, but hall was signed up when woodgate was still here so it's hopefully an approach were taking more regularly now. 

Can't say I'm over enthused about any of the options were talking about so far - delap, diedhiou and wyke all have massive asterisks beside their name, though they do each have a decent potential upside too.

Bolasie will be an exciting signing if we manage to get that one over the line, otherwise everyone we've been linked with has been meh for me - though that's not to say they won't work out, at least better than what we had before. Just don't see any of them leading the line in a promotion charge. 

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well nothings actually happened yet, but hall was signed up when woodgate was still here so it's hopefully an approach were taking more regularly now. 

Can't say I'm over enthused about any of the options were talking about so far - delap, diedhiou and wyke all have massive asterisks beside their name, though they do each have a decent potential upside too.

Bolasie will be an exciting signing if we manage to get that one over the line, otherwise everyone we've been linked with has been meh for me - though that's not to say they won't work out, at least better than what we had before. Just don't see any of them leading the line in a promotion charge. 

Just wondering, who would you see that we can reasonably afford being good enough for a promotion charge? I know it’s a pretty difficult question as you probably won’t have a player in mind.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""