oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

It’s taking you a lot longer than normal for the Penny to drop @wilsoncgp. They are already at the club. Blackwell and Jepson are the obvious ones to take over when Warnock moves upstairs 

I mean, I said there wouldn't be many. Blackwell is one of few and he's had what... 6 seasons of management? Something like that. If it doesn't work out for Warnock, I think Blackwell and Jepson being in charge will be a tough sell to fans.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mr_Maz said:

Norwich's team looked at stats, video footage, scout reports and even checked on players' personalities to see if they would bring positive vibes to the dressing room.

Do you really think that NW doesn't do any of that? Every club goes through the same process, the only thing that differs is the weighting applied to each form of research 

I don't claim any knowledge of what he does.

All I'm saying is that based on recent history, we don't seem to plan ahead any further than the current season and that we always seem to make signings to plug holes, rather than build a coherent squad.

Not to mention the fact that the players we sign do seem to be very hit n' miss with regard to their usefulness / performances.

Oh yeah - and then there's that issue of cliques NW mentioned. Obviously not total harmony in the dressing room either.

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

Well Warnock watched a minute of a guy via video last summer and decided he was a rubbish player. I doubt many clubs use that method of deciding who to recruit

so what you're saying is that a player was identified by stats, then initially reviewed by video footage, and a decision was made that physical scouting was not worth it?  

i bet a every club has done that

16 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

All I'm saying is that based on recent history, we don't seem to plan ahead any further than the current season and that we always seem to make signings to plug holes, rather than build a coherent squad.

Not to mention the fact that the players we sign do seem to be very hit n' miss with regard to their usefulness / performances.

Oh yeah - and then there's that issue of cliques NW mentioned. Obviously not total harmony in the dressing room either.

i don;t think he had any other option other than to focus most attention on the current season. consider where we were when he started, if he started planning for the long term instead of building a platform for the current season, we could well have been relegated. 

every signing could be hit /miss to be fair, Betenelli and Akpom have struggled, but Morsy and Watmore have been good. loan signing are getting better. Overall the whole squad has improved compared to last year.  We still need more quality in key areas, and that will hopefully bring some consistency to our approach.   

Yeah, the cliques thing was interesting, kind of developed over the season. not much detail on it, and  cliques are only bad if they have a negative effect on the overall group, which it seams this one eventuall did. However, the first step in fixing it, is recognising it. Also, it seams letting Brit and Fletcher go, has had some postiive effect. 

We've got a long way to go, every manager over the last few years have had one hand tied behind thir back due to the Gary Monk disaster (that the club leadership allowed to happen).

Next sesaon will be the first real opportunity to turn the page, and considering the financial impact of Covid, having someone with NW's experience is a positive, I just hope the club is still attrative to the players we/he wants.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Wasn't Akpom top of our Analyst's list?

Warnock spent the summer saying Akpom was his number 1 target, then when he turned out to be crap blamed the analysts and not properly scouting him and threw him under the bus.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I think the club will constantly be scouting players for every position then when manager asks for player in that position we show him list of possible options done home work on then they decide if want or not. It is only short term if manager changes every few years 

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Warnock spent the summer saying Akpom was his number 1 target, then when he turned out to be crap blamed the analysts and not properly scouting him and threw him under the bus.

tbf to him, he did say that they only saw him on video tapes and never had him physically scouted, and it was that, that he wouldn't do again. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

tbf to him, he did say that they only saw him on video tapes and never had him physically scouted, and it was that, that he wouldn't do again. 

When we signed him he said he had wanted him for a long time and that he was his top target. Why would he say those things if he'd never seen him play outside of a video? Regardless of which time he was telling the truth, he was lying on one of the occasions. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

When we signed him he said he had wanted him for a long time and that he was his top target. Why would he say those things if he'd never seen him play outside of a video? Regardless of which time he was telling the truth, he was lying on one of the occasions. 

Motivation for the player I would think. Make him feel wanted and he will feel good about himself and give you more as a result. It’s not a new concept 

• Like 3

Any way you look at it, our recruitment policy is laughable at times.

If we can't get the players we actually want, we make do with ones who either aren't much good, or simply don't suit the system the manager wants to employ.

Result? Unhappy players, poor performances and acrimony in both directions.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

I think the club will constantly be scouting players for every position then when manager asks for player in that position we show him list of possible options done home work on then they decide if want or not. It is only short term if manager changes every few years 

Well when I said "planning ahead" I did include at board level.

Our inability to stick with a manager for more than a season or two has obviously been a major factor in this.

I don't think we should change a thing in terms of our recruitment, just leave it to the usual suspects who have done such sterling work over the last decade.

Why on earth would you risk all that and allow Warnock to try it his way. There is far too much to lose, more Rudy Gestede's and Adlene Guedioura's please. Let's continue overpaying for the next generation of overpaid donkeys for the boo boys to hone their skills on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""