oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

I can see him being sold but I would keep him and loan him out.

He is still young and obviously has something about him.

I think there’s a lot of learning for him to do with regards positioning but I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

if we do sell I would want a good sell on fee.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I don't think we should change a thing in terms of our recruitment, just leave it to the usual suspects who have done such sterling work over the last decade.

Why on earth would you risk all that and allow Warnock to try it his way. There is far too much to lose, more Rudy Gestede's and Adlene Guedioura's please. Let's continue overpaying for the next generation of overpaid donkeys for the boo boys to hone their skills on. 

Well we probably shouldn't change a thing as long as Warnock is here.

I would say the club can only afford to think short-term while he is in charge. I'd be quite happy if the signings we make are 1-2 years max or loan deals.

I'm really hoping that when he decides to call it a day, Boro can start with a clean slate, a new philosophy and start thinking more long term.

My biggest worry is that Jepson will take over and we'll be doomed to several more seasons of Warnock-ball. ☹️

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I'm really hoping that when he decides to call it a day, Boro can start with a clean slate, a new philosophy and start thinking more long term.

If recent history is anything to go by then this is exactly what we will do for 6-12 months.

25 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Nearer to £1 million would be my valuation. He’s hardly invaluable to us do I don’t get these pie in the sky estimates

My thinking too. He may have time on his side and therefore "potential" to improve. But there is also the risk he may never develop any further.

I don't think he's shown anything to warrant a price tag any higher than that.

• Like 1

Even if Warnock decides his Shackleton wing-back chair is calling, there's plenty of defensive dinosaurs who haven't had a shot at ruining Boro yet. Bruce and O'Neill spring to mind. I'm sure when Warnock steps down/is sacked/leaves by mutual agreement, one of these fossils will be appointed, rather than a Michael Reiziger-type appointment.

• Sad 1

HES 20 YEARS OLD. 

I've said this so many times, the majority of players his age haven't even made a first team appearance yet and are still developing in the underage groups or in the lower divisions.

Djed has made 59 appearances already, and although he has definitely lacked consistency and has struggled at times, he has also had some great games and solid performances in there too. 

Hes inconsistent and his decision making skills lack polish. DUH. He's 20, that's 99.9% of 20 year olds who break into first team football. But he's also dynamic, quick, seems to have the right attitude, is capable of taking on players when he's on his game and has a really good engine. He's also nearly always fit and available. That's a great starting off point for any 20 year old and the other aspects come with experience and learning. He's really not missing anything from a physical or technical standpoint to become a good player at this level or higher. 

Actively wanting to sell a 20 year old home grown player who's made 59 appearances under 2 managers before he's 21 is insanity to me. Hence, it needs to be a big bid for us to consider it imo, or we could well end up regretting it big time.  

• Like 12
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

HES 20 YEARS OLD. 

I've said this so many times, the majority of players his age haven't even made a first team appearance yet and are still developing in the underage groups or in the lower divisions.

Djed has made 59 appearances already, and although he has definitely lacked consistency and has struggled at times, he has also had some great games and solid performances in there too. 

Hes inconsistent and his decision making skills lack polish. DUH. He's 20, that's 99.9% of 20 year olds who break into first team football. But he's also dynamic, quick, seems to have the right attitude, is capable of taking on players when he's on his game and has a really good engine. He's also nearly always fit and available. That's a great starting off point for any 20 year old and the other aspects come with experience and learning. He's really not missing anything from a physical or technical standpoint to become a good player at this level or higher. 

Actively wanting to sell a 20 year old home grown player who's made 59 appearances under 2 managers before he's 21 is insanity to me. Hence, it needs to be a big bid for us to consider it imo, or we could well end up regretting it big time.  

Signed back in just to drop this a like

I cannot understand why so many people have written Spence off

• Like 1

Spence is dire. Take anything over a couple of mill for him and get it re-invested ASAP.

By 20 years old I'd expect a potential first team footballer to be able to carry his own two feet without tripping over them. Get shot.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Even if Warnock decides his Shackleton wing-back chair is calling, there's plenty of defensive dinosaurs who haven't had a shot at ruining Boro yet. Bruce and O'Neill spring to mind. I'm sure when Warnock steps down/is sacked/leaves by mutual agreement, one of these fossils will be appointed, rather than a Michael Reiziger-type appointment.

nooooo GIF

It's worth remembering also that, even if you don't fancy Spence as a player, letting him go won't clear anywhere near as much money as senior players as his wages won't even be close. You take £1m for Spence and that money is going absolutely nowhere.

There is no need to jump ship and snap somebody's hands off for £1m, it doesn't benefit us at all. Unless it's a £5m offer or something that can generate more income than that over time, keep him and loan him out if Warnock doesn't fancy him. He's played enough first-team football that he should get his game anywhere lower down than us so let him go out and try to make a name for himself somewhere he's actually wanted and see if he comes back a better player, like you'd expect from most 20 year olds.

Some would honestly have sooner let Traore go for nowt than wait it out with him, 4-5 months of his time with us took him from someone we'd probably have to make a loss from to someone who hit the ceiling value we set and would have demanded plenty more if we could have asked for it.

2 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

If Spence doesn’t have the drive and desire at 20, he won’t have it at 24/25 or later unfortunately. He looks totally disinterested every-time he plays 

I've never seen a lack of interest in his play. I've seen him low on confidence and not always show for the ball as a result, but not disinterest.

Think about it, would Warnock of all people continue to play him at every opportunity if he thought he wasn't interested? For all the negatives I have to say about warnock, he's not shy of throwing a player out on his ear if he doesn't give 100%, so I think this is a pretty unsubstantiated claim against the kid. 

Just now, wilsoncgp said:

It's worth remembering also that, even if you don't fancy Spence as a player, letting him go won't clear anywhere near as much money as senior players as his wages won't even be close. You take £1m for Spence and that money is going absolutely nowhere.

There is no need to jump ship and snap somebody's hands off for £1m, it doesn't benefit us at all. Unless it's a £5m offer or something that can generate more income than that over time, keep him and loan him out if Warnock doesn't fancy him. He's played enough first-team football that he should get his game anywhere lower down than us so let him go out and try to make a name for himself somewhere he's actually wanted and see if he comes back a better player, like you'd expect from most 20 year olds.

Some would honestly have sooner let Traore go for nowt than wait it out with him, 4-5 months of his time with us took him from someone we'd probably have to make a loss from to someone who hit the ceiling value we set and would have demanded plenty more if we could have asked for it.

Good comparison, Adama was a couple of years older too if I recall correctly and many on this board were desperate for us to unload him after we were relegated.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Good comparison, Adama was a couple of years older too if I recall correctly and many on this board were desperate for us to unload him after we were relegated.

Indeed, he was 22 when we sold him.

19 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

If Spence doesn’t have the drive and desire at 20, he won’t have it at 24/25 or later unfortunately. He looks totally disinterested every-time he plays 

I dunno about disinterested...you could tar quite a few players with that brush. But I would say he doesn't really stand out from the rest of the squad.

I some respects he reminds me of Traore during his time with us. A lot of effort but not much end product. He's not great defensively, loses the ball a lot and is quite wayward with his passing / crossing. 

Like Traore, I think in the right team and with the right coaching he could flourish, but I don't think he's going to improve at Boro. But then players generally don't seem to improve with us.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""