oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

What do we have to gain from that? That 200k will go absolutely nowhere. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, at that point.

Might pay for a few hospitality buffets though

• Haha 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

If a good offer comes in for Spence I'd sell as he has amazing potential just very raw and we can't really afford him to be making mistakes for us next year. But any offer over 5 million sell to be honest if not send him out on loan to a Hull or some other league 1 promoted club

Not having a dig at all, but on what basis would you say Spence has 'amazing potential?' Unless I'm totally off the mark here, I haven't seen the guy have anything more than a solid game since the first few months he broke through?

Adama was someone with amazing potential... when you saw him skin an entire team then shin it off the pitch, you'd think 'wow, imagine if this guy could work on his finishing.' Or Fry, starting every week without looking out of place as a teenager. Even Tav, putting in regular MoTM performances at 21 (Spence is 20). 

Spence needs to work on his entire game just to get into our (pretty average) side. If a good offer comes in it's an easy sell for me. Dijskteel is a much better player and only 24 himself. Fisher is a competent back up.  

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Not having a dig at all, but on what basis would you say Spence has 'amazing potential?' Unless I'm totally off the mark here, I haven't seen the guy have anything more than a solid game since the first few months he broke through?

Adama was someone with amazing potential... when you saw him skin an entire team then shin it off the pitch, you'd think 'wow, imagine if this guy could work on his finishing.' Or Fry, starting every week without looking out of place as a teenager. Even Tav, putting in regular MoTM performances at 21 (Spence is 20). 

Spence needs to work on his entire game just to get into our (pretty average) side. If a good offer comes in it's an easy sell for me. Dijskteel is a much better player and only 24 himself. Fisher is a competent back up.  

He is 20 has pace that can't be coached if he was coached into positioning, decision making, tackling and basically taught a more footballing brain could turn into Wan-Bissaka as they have similar build 

26 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

He is 20 has pace that can't be coached if he was coached into positioning, decision making, tackling and basically taught a more footballing brain could turn into Wan-Bissaka as they have similar build 

you can't teach brains...footballing brains is just something a guy has or he doesn't...

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

So you're saying because he literally has a single quality - pace - that we can coach EVERYTHING else and turn him into a Man United quality player?

Come on lad.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to believe that there is something more than pace there.  The first time I saw him I thought Fulham must be daft letting him go.

Yes he has pace and sometimes he uses it to our advantage  Some times he's in the right place and if he's not he usually has the pace to get there.  Sometimes he has an attacking threat  and then sometimes he does not. Sometimes he fronts up as a defender and I'm likely to be told that most of the time he doesn't.

I'm in the Warnock camp - he can be what he wants to be.  If he doesn't listen and understand and apply  himself then he will get what he deserves - nowt.  If he does listen and work hard on the important bits then he could be very good indeed

None of us really know how he'll develop.  All it needs is one coach to say one word or sentence that produces the "the light bulb moment"

I'd like to think for the kids sake that it does but I know like some of you have clearly decided it might not and he might not end up being the best he could be

• Like 4

Spence must have the best agent going! How he can generate any interest in his client and even potentially get us some money is phenenominal.  😂😂

The guy is extremely poor in all aspects of his game. His attitude stinks, he is extremely immature/unprofessional and doesn't listen in training and he falls over constantly on match day.

Apart from the 1st 5/6 games when he broke on the scene under Woodgate, he's never pushed on because he's a very limited footballer (if you can call him that). He's up there with Justin Hoyte imo.

He's played at RB in a back 4, RWB in a 5 and further forward as attacker and he still hasn't delivered and offers us nothing.

People say there is potential but I would like to hear what potential he has because he literally offers nothing but a bit of pace which isn't good enough.

He's tried pushing a move since last January back to London and doesn't want to be here, so let him go.

We have just got rid of a few trouble makers so we don't want to go into next season with same issues.

I'm starting my car in preparation to drive him wherever he wants to go. 

Good riddance 

Edited by diggerlad07
  • Like 5

Wow, so many contrasting views about Spence on here. I’m going to play devil’s advocate though...

He came onto the scene with Woodgate who promised to blood in the youth and has stayed as a mainstay to the first team. Is he first team ready? Not all the time, but he is at a stage of a squad player for sure. Some of the people making out he’s dog water are overlooking this. 

the problem we have is that we are relying on players like Spence and Coulson and comparing them to first team regulars. They aren’t there yet at their age, but getting rid would be pointless. What message does that send out to the rest of the academy? 

We are so *** short term with everything we do. We have Djed who hasn’t been great this season and has played under Warnock. What if the new manager comes in who would be an ideal fit? The job of the coaches is to make people better. We aren’t doing that. We haven’t even done that to any player recently. I can’t remember who we’ve actively coached and made an improvement on. 

All that money invested into the academy and we are just fobbing it all off. What if we had the same approach towards Spence that we had when Dael Fry messed up against Charlton away under Karanka? Ship him out because he had a few bad games? Sometimes players just need more time to adapt, develop and grow. 

As a cash strapped club, we have to start improving what we have, rather than hunting for new players. Recruitment and coaching at the club need a serious overhaul in my opinion. 

• Like 7

When did Spence last have a good game even a half decent one come to that?

When he first broke through he looked to have pace and could worry opposition defences, that was great but then what, absolutely nothing and since then he has actually regressed and not just a bit but badly.

.When has he used that pace to good effect this season? Inevitably when he has tried something this season it has led to him losing possession and us being penalised with a sucker punch. His effort in getting back to make amends for his errors seem to be no more than a gutless hop and a skip as a token gesture as he watches the consequences of his recklessness punish us.

He might make a footballer at some point sometime, somewhere but like Bettinelli he has cost us points this season and like Bettinelli I hope never to see him in a Boro shirt again anytime soon. Sell him or loan him out, I'm not bothered just please save me from screaming at a screen in disbelief at his lack of a footballing brain, lackadaisical attitude and unwillingness to bust a gut for his team. The only saving grace is that he wasn't subjected to fans being in the Riverside, if he remains next season he may not be so lucky.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Lots of effort without the end product.Type of player who must give to anyone who wants to be a professional footballer because if he can make it then so can anyone.

I've failed to see the 'lots of effort' bit. Sooner we get rid the better.

46 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I just can't believe there are people on here who have eyes, have seen Spence play this season and actually believe there's something there.

Actually it's oneBoro, it's not surprising at all.

Oh dear, imagine having a forum where people have different opinions 😵 must be awful 😣 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""