oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

No he isn't, he's been plagued by an injury since he got here.

Also Dijksteel is still our first choice RB, in case you forgot!

Hopefully Dijksteel can remain injury free next season as I think Fisher can't be relied upon too much. He dives slightly less than Mcnair, without Mcnairs success rate

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

You are very much a double edged sword at times, going with the flow and then having moments of being not the nicest of people on the forum and with a could not care less attitude.

Know which I prefer, can't call you names as it is against my religion but something that sounds like hillock comes to mind🤖

I mean, it's just an internet forum so there's probably no need to be so defensive. Probably no need for the admin/mod pile on either

7 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Me neither. If his attitude was right I'd be way more keen to keep him. Honestly, I'd rather have a competent journeyman who wants to be here than a 20 year old who couldn't give a toss.  

Compare to Bolasie (a loan player) who busts a gut to win us dead rubber end-of-season games and constantly bigs up the club and his team mates. 

The same Bolasie that has started trying hard when his future contract is literally the basis for his performance each game?

Dont get me wrong, his desire and effort should be applauded 100%. But would I see him making those runs and effort being put in when he’s got a contract elsewhere? I’m not so sure. 

NML won’t play again this season:

“Mendez-Laing is getting better but he’s touch and go so I doubt he will feature again, 

His contract is up so he has to look after himself, wherever he is for pre-season. I can’t expect him to come back for one game if he’s not right.”

• Thanks 1

At 20 - 21 years old- 

Downing had just come off his loan spell at Sunderland.

Johnson had just been on loan at Watford.

Gibson had been on loan at Tranmere.

Adam Reach had been on loan at Shrewsbury. 

James Morrison just moved from Boro to West Brom with limited first team appearances. 

all of these players weren’t setting the world on fire at a young age but they were allowed to make mistakes, develop and grow. It would be madness to let players leave who have shown some promise. With Spence can anyone really say that we’ve played to his strengths? Woodgate did some good bits with him attacking wise but as a team we were defensively terrible. Who Would thrive in that environment??

Now we have Warnock who is more defensive minded and will pick a safe option every time. Djed is an attacking right back. If we can’t accommodate him tactically then fair enough. I’d rather see him leave. But as the stats above would suggest, boro favourites weren’t exactly consistent or solid starters back in the day in their youth.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

At 20 - 21 years old- 

James Morrison just moved from Boro to West Brom with limited first team appearances. 

all of these players weren’t setting the world on fire at a young age but they were allowed to make mistakes, develop and grow. It would be madness to let players leave who have shown some promise. With Spence can anyone really say that we’ve played to his strengths? Woodgate did some good bits with him attacking wise but as a team we were defensively terrible. Who Would thrive in that environment??

Now we have Warnock who is more defensive minded and will pick a safe option every time. Djed is an attacking right back. If we can’t accommodate him tactically then fair enough. I’d rather see him leave. But as the stats above would suggest, boro favourites weren’t exactly consistent or solid starters back in the day in their youth.

Fair. However the difference is that we're seeing little to no promise with Spence. Naive defending, questionable attitude (at least overtly) and very little end product going forward. Pace, but that's about it. There are too many parts to his game that he needs to turn around to make it at the top level, I just see him as a player that is far far far more likely to fail then to succeed. So I'd gladly see the club cash in and free up some funds for some much needed investment elsewhere, especially given our actual first choice right back is so good already.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

At 20 - 21 years old- 

Are you Spence agent by any chance? 😂 

You talk a good talk but you are forgetting 1 vital thing regarding ex Academy players we had break through... They had potential and showed they had something to develop.

We have seen nothing at all from Spence offensively or defensively

u all need  to cut spence a break. he got into the first team squad when he really shouldnt have/hes to raw. he needs a good loan down the leagues to establish himself and mature. hes not ready for them championship and his confidence is taking a knock. against lesser players in league two he will stand out and learn his trade a level thats not to unforgiving. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, 2plus2 said:

Fair. However the difference is that we're seeing little to no promise with Spence. Naive defending, questionable attitude (at least overtly) and very little end product going forward. Pace, but that's about it. There are too many parts to his game that he needs to turn around to make it at the top level, I just see him as a player that is far far far more likely to fail then to succeed. So I'd gladly see the club cash in and free up some funds for some much needed investment elsewhere, especially given our actual first choice right back is so good already.

Question. Do you think Warnock is the kind of manager to continue to play Spence in whatever position he can fit him into if he had a questionable attitude?

• Like 1

I'm firmly in the camp that Spence isn't as bad as people make out and feel Spence 100% needs more time to develop. He, probably for his own confidence and overall development, needs a loan to a League 1/2 side. In part to build some confidence back in his own game and in part to hone in on one position to learn.

Ultimately at this stage of his career none of us know what the future will hold for him and due to that if Wolves want to offer us anything close to £5m for him, I'd take it. In an ideal world I'd love us to have an 11 of academy products, but if we are to utilise our academy fully we also need to know when the right time to sell is. 

If selling Spence allows us to keep pressure away from needing to sell the likes of Tav and Fry our two best players arguably (and much more established academy products), for a few seasons longer (and a few million more on their values), so be it.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Question. Do you think Warnock is the kind of manager to continue to play Spence in whatever position he can fit him into if he had a questionable attitude?

Attitude is a bit broad I guess. I don't mean he's throwing tantrums, causing fights or telling the manager where to stick it. More his attitude in play; lack of focus, inability to see through a game plan, not very inspiring work ethic etc. All things you can attribute to his age perhaps. Still, doesn't cut it in my opinion. And he isn't needed. So cash in.

But yes, I'm pretty confident Warnock does see through that now, albeit looked to give him some chances along the way before settling on that. It looks highly likely to me that this mysterious 'knock' that still sees him sitting on the bench is just a ploy to avoid a cheap sale by playing our cards too early that we're keen to sell.

11 minutes ago, 2plus2 said:

Attitude is a bit broad I guess. I don't mean he's throwing tantrums, causing fights or telling the manager where to stick it. More his attitude in play; lack of focus, inability to see through a game plan, not very inspiring work ethic etc. All things you can attribute to his age perhaps. Still, doesn't cut it in my opinion. And he isn't needed. So cash in.

But yes, I'm pretty confident Warnock does see through that now, albeit looked to give him some chances along the way before settling on that. It looks highly likely to me that this mysterious 'knock' that still sees him sitting on the bench is just a ploy to avoid a cheap sale by playing our cards too early that we're keen to sell.

He's played 39 times this season mate, he clearly doesn't have a problem with how the lad carries himself. Ability wise might be a different question. 

Everton are taking an interest as well now as see him as a cheaper option over Norwich Max Aaron's I predict he's going to be sold. I do like Spence however not really sure how we will fit him in to our side next year and help him develops so at 5 million may be best move for both club and player 

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""