oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, Ogbeche173 said:

I bet most of the people on here who want rid of Spence are cantankerous 40-50 year old racists who don’t want to be patient with a young black lad from London.

Hmmm, I think someone needs to give this numpty a ban. You're right, I'm a terrible racist. In fact, now you've reminded me, I guess best I change my mind about Dijksteel.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, TheJew said:

For me, it's not necessarily about ability, but money.

We have two decent right backs already. We don't need 3. Spence will command a decent fee, and if that can be reinvested in the team elsewhere then that is what we should do. 

We don't need 3 right backs, especially when we only have 1 striker!

For me it's a sliding scale of keeping him and selling him. With our squad in the shape it is, I'm more on the side of selling him, even moreso if £5m is on offer.

Only issue for me is the person reinvesting that money, I just hope we don't tie it all up in aging pros with little or no re-sale value. I understand the need for experience, but I want us to have a balanced approach. So just incase things don't work out next season, we can actually sell some of the new arrivals (if we need to) for decent fees.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Ogbeche173 said:

I bet most of the people on here who want rid of Spence are cantankerous 40-50 year old racists who don’t want to be patient with a young black lad from London.

I’m 21 and in no way racist, and you’re comment is why society is so messed up nowadays. Assuming and claiming  something so extreme with very little reason to do so.

• Like 4

I've deleted the comment as it was an unsubstantiated claim of racism, there will be no tolerance towards bringing race into a topic without cause. 

Please stop replying as it's been dealt with. 

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'm basing my opinion on having watched 41 games this season, as well as many games last season. I think he's a good young talent and is about the level you'd expect for a player who is 20 years old with lots of talent but holes in his game. 

For what it's worth our scouting staff, our coaching team, woodgate, warnock all definitely agree. If the reports are to be believed ancelotti, Nuno, Gerrard and all of their respective scouting teams do too. So I'm pretty comfortable with my opinion and also fairly convinced that there's going to be a lot of people with egg on their face in 2 or 3 years time when he's actually at a senior level age. 

Fair. It's not impossible he ends up making it. But equally I'm comfortable with weighing up risk vs reward, selling in a position we already have a strong 1st choice and reinvesting elsewhere.

Just now, 2plus2 said:

Fair. It's not impossible he ends up making it. But equally I'm comfortable with weighing up risk vs reward, selling in a position we already have a strong 1st choice and reinvesting elsewhere.

I'm not against selling him. My preference is to loan him out but if we get offered 5mil we have to take it. 

• Like 1

Does anyone really believe we'll get £5 million for Spence?

People are suggesting he could be another Traore, who was written off because he had no footballing brain/was a headless chicken/couldn't be coached by Barcelona and was therefore beyond redemption/only had pace. However, I'd argue he showed a damn sight more raw potential than Spence has in all his games for us.

I don't see much of a comparison between the two, but as suggested earlier, I think we should loan Spence out rather than write him off.

1 minute ago, RiseAgainst said:

People are suggesting he could be another Traore, who was written off because he had no footballing brain/was a headless chicken/couldn't be coached by Barcelona and was therefore beyond redemption/only had pace. However, I'd argue he showed a damn sight more raw potential than Spence has in all his games for us.

I don't see much of a comparison between the two, but as suggested earlier, I think we should loan Spence out rather than write him off.

Joe Bennett went for 4.5mil many years ago -before money was even crazier in football. I'd argue they're about on the same level as each other, Bennett had a couple of years on him though. 

37 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

there's going to be a lot of people with egg on their face in 2 or 3 years time when he's actually at a senior level age. 

I think there'd be a lot of egg on some people's faces just going back to some of the match threads from last season. Remember January 2020? Interest from Wolves and Spurs then too, I believe. The fear on this forum of losing him to a crappy transfer because we hadn't tied him down was rife, some mentions of selling players to help tie him and Pears down. If some of you want to remind yourselves what you saw in Spence previously (and maybe Pears and Coulson too) then you should go back and check out some of the match threads in December 2019. Especially the West Brom away game which was possibly one of our best performances under Woodgate.

People say 'sometimes you just know with a player that they're not gonna be any good' or some crap like that but some of the same people were shitting themselves at the idea of losing him less than 18 months ago. Doesn't say much for people's opinions that they don't think he even has potential when I've seen more than a few comments likening him to bloody Traore in terms of what he does on the pitch, people laughed at that the other day when I was only comparing their raw talent that needs time and coaching to be nurtured yet some actually made the talent comparison to him to begin with. Let's not forget that Spence and Woodgate got player/manager of the month, too. 😄

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
10 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

If the reported interest in Spence from other clubs is accurate I could well see Wolves, Everton or whoever paying that amount. They'd probably consider it a bargain for an English player. Wolves apparently paid £35m for a player of similar ability.

If clubs are prepared to pay that kind of money for him, I don't think Boro are in a position to ignore those bids. 

If they don't pan out, I think it would benefit his career to loan him out somewhere he might get a better standard of coaching.

• Like 1

Speaking of reinvesting into the squad Vaclav Cerny should be on our list, came through the Ajax academy so has a good footballing education so to speak. He is currently on loan from FC Utrecht at FC Twente, but his Utrecht contract ends in 2022. Big asterisk against him however is he did suffer a bad knee injury in January and was ruled out for the rest of season. Not sure if he will be fit for the summer, or if it is longer term.

But before his injury had 12 goal involvements* in 16 appearances, Twente as a whole since (Mid Jan) his injury have won once. He plays predominantly as a right winger, has good stats for successful dribbles (2 per 90), successful crosses (23%) and key passes (1.8 per 90). He's quick with the ball at his feet, likes to take his man on and appears (when I've seen them play) to have some decent decision making when playing the final ball etc. Has similarities (in my opinion) to how Watmore plays at times.

There is also a player at Willem II who in my opinion looks quality, and looks in terms of playing style incredibly similar to Tavernier. Which given how much Tavernier being injured/out the side effects us, is a high priority area we should be looking to recruit in. Unfortunately he's being chased by Ajax, Leeds and Wolves which completely rules us out. For anyone interested the player is Mike Tresor, who to me statistically and style of play is basically Tav.2.

For comparison Bolasie has 1.5 successful dribbles per 90, Kebano the 1.5, Tav has 1.4, Johnson has 1 and Watmore has 1.2.

Crossing percentages Bolasie has 12%, Kebano 23%, Tav 26%, Johnson 14% and Watmore has 10%.

Then for Key passes, Bolasie has 0.8, Kebano has 1.6, Tav has 1.6, Johnson has 1.4 and Watmore has 1.

* Goals and assists

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

No idea on what fee we might be able to get for him but we sold Traore for £18m didn’t we? And he would have been on ten times the money that Spence is on, which is going to be a factor for anyone interested in Spence.  I think Traore had played more league games before leaving Spain than Spence has had in total so far in his career as well, which is worth remembering.  I don’t think the comparison is a direct one anyway, it’s about potential and possible areas of weakness in their respective games.  I don’t think Spence has as much potential as Traore had but that doesn’t mean he can’t go on to be a decent player.  But 20 year old and already out the door.  I hope for Coburn’s sake he is able to produce next season or he’ll be the next ‘definitely not a footballer’ to be written off after no time at all.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pikerman said:

With the benefit of many years of coaching at junior level, I watch Spence and I just want to run onto the pitch, grab him by his shirt and give him a good shake. There is definitely talent there but the lack of concentration is a huge weakness, he just seems to switch off and the game (and opposition players)just passes him by.  Can he be coached into a top rate player, no in my opinion, you either have a football brain or not, and that is what separates the exceptional from the good. Any decent offer, accept it and move on.

We have a squad full of players who switch off regularly. They get paid a damn site more than Spence does, and have far more experience than he does, yet nobody cares, or people ignore it for some reason. 

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But 20 year old and already out the door.  I hope for Coburn’s sake he is able to produce next season or he’ll be the next ‘definitely not a footballer’ to be written off after no time at all.

A bit unrelated but I never realised until recently that Malley is a year older than Spence! 

7 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

A bit unrelated but I never realised until recently that Malley is a year older than Spence! 

One is already finished and one is a great prospect after coming off the bench against a ten man relegation team.  Weird how it works out.  And yet just a year ago it was Spence getting those same rave reviews.  Life moves fast.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""