oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

3 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I still find it bizarre that players can go through the academy system from a really young age and still not be able to use both feet.

Amen to that. I’m not even a professional and I can use both hands🤭

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Amen to that. I’m not even a professional and I can use both hands🤭

Those Danish health and vitality magazines have a lot to answer for! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
13 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I still find it bizarre that players can go through the academy system from a really young age and still not be able to use both feet.

I think there's a few things we can criticise the academy for, but thats not one of them.

People are naturally either left or right handed / footed. Apart from the lucky few who are ambidextrous.

Most players will naturally be stronger with one foot than the other and I think it would be a waste of coaching time, trying to get them to be equally good with both feet.

Yes, it is possible to kick a ball with both feet, but you're always going to be better at it with one or the other. Especially when it comes to making the ball dip / curve in flight and all that other fancy stuff.

I would far rather they concentrated on key technical abilities like ball control, passing, shooting and tackling, as well as developing their footballing aptitude - being aware of where their team mates are, knowing who to pass to and when etc.

Also being able to do all this on the move, so we can actually play through opponents, instead of the static sideways and backwards passing we see all too often.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

NW confirms he expects “8 or 9” new players to come in this summer. 

What he expects and what he gets are two things that are different completely.

Unless they have a ton of baggage dragging behind them that is which is the usual for this club.

50 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think there's a few things we can criticise the academy for, but thats not one of them.

People are naturally either left or right handed / footed. Apart from the lucky few who are ambidextrous.

Most players will naturally be stronger with one foot than the other and I think it would be a waste of coaching time, trying to get them to be equally good with both feet.

Yes, it is possible to kick a ball with both feet, but you're always going to be better at it with one or the other. Especially when it comes to making the ball dip / curve in flight and all that other fancy stuff.

I would far rather they concentrated on key technical abilities like ball control, passing, shooting and tackling, as well as developing their footballing aptitude - being aware of where their team mates are, knowing who to pass to and when etc.

Also being able to do all this on the move, so we can actually play through opponents, instead of the static sideways and backwards passing we see all too often.

Yes AR most are going to use their natural but I also would have to critisise  the coaching staff,

Mainly because as Grimsby Boro said youngsters spending years at Boro Juniors and working their way through should have the confidence to use both feet when needed and not be solely dependent on one foot . Coach's for years have been a total let down for Boro and I cannot see anything changing in the near future until Gibson sells  the club which we know he will never do.

• Confused 1

I think thats a realistic number to both strengthen the starting XI and ensure we've got adequate cover on the bench. Whether he actually succeeds in getting 8-9 players (of sufficiently good quality) is another kettle of fish.

I know we have quite a few going, but letting them go is always easier than hooking them and reeling 'em in.

I'd agree with his assessment that we have the nucleus of a good team, but as we have seen there are shortcomings that urgently need addressing. Ideally some players with more creativity and technical ability. Maybe one or two with a bit more physical presence to help us win the midfield and defensive battles.

I mean this debate about using both feet is trivial to say the least. Even premier league teams don’t get their players to come out being able to use both feet the same. Only one player who I can think of is Santi Cazorla who was a freak. Like taking free kicks and scoring with either foot. I think that it’s normal to be able to use either foot, but you’re always going to have one better than the other. 

id rather we focus on the psychological side of or youngsters to be able to make the right decisions at the right time and judge them that way. 

also with Warnock hoping for 9 new players, I’m sure we can only use 5 in a match day squad can’t we? (Football manager knowledge) so he probably will get 4 perms and 5 loans?

Makes sense because we don’t want to give him a wholesale make over to rip it up the following year. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

also with Warnock hoping for 9 new players, I’m sure we can only use 5 in a match day squad can’t we? (Football manager knowledge) so he probably will get 4 perms and 5 loans?

He does also say in the article he wants better cover on the bench...more strength in depth.

As to the length of the deals...depends on whether they are being made with the knowledge of who is taking over from Warnock. If there have already been talks about Blackwell and/or Jepson succeeding him, then it'll make sense to offer longer contracts.

Otherwise I would hope they are more short-term.

4 hours ago, boro-unger said:

Only 9 inches?! They'll never be able to win a header!

Our lass said she’d be absolutely delighted with 9” this summer, which is a bit weird cos she isn’t really into football.

• Haha 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""