oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

30 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Middlesbrough are interested in signing Derby County forward Martyn Waghorn this summer.

Where is this from?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

fail to go up i would, but otherwise no. You are right there'll be plenty of interest for him, but we need to go for these types i think.

I guess it depends on the money on offer but if we're trying to sign 8-9 players this summer with Bolasie and a couple of strikers on the list, you have to wonder just how much we have to throw around.

I agree we need to be able to attract the better players and bringing in a lad who we think is better than what we have on a free would be a bit of a no-brainer.

I personally still haven't really saw much in him, though, I'm not sure what he would do to improve our midfield. I'd wager there's something I'm missing considering he's got into team of the season but if we miss out on him right now, I wouldn't be overly fussed.

37 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

At the moment, would you leave Barnsley for Boro?

Depends. Based on league positions, no. Based on the number of years the clubs have been in the Premier League and the training facilities on offer at Rockliffe, God yes. All things considered? There's a discussion to be had, at least. Turn the argument on its head - apart from league positions this season, why would you leave Boro for Barnsley? You might prefer their current manager to ours, but they only just survived in the Championship last season, and they've had twice as many managers as we have since the Millennium, so they're hardly an example of stability or prosperity.

This isn't a dig at you in particular, but we need to get rid of this fatalistic mentality that nobody wants to sign or play for Boro any more. Maybe under Pulis that was true, but people who don't follow our club all that closely tend to think MFC is a stable club with a loyal chairman and great facilities. And some players really do love Warnock. So yes, maybe players would defect here from Oakwell.

• Like 1

Considering we aren't looking for a centre forward who scores goals so much as one who literally bullies defenders and brings others into play, we don't have to go too wild over being linked with lumps like Waghorn.

We don't need a 20+ goal striker to play how Warnock wants us to play. We just need someone who is going to make the ball stick at the right end of the pitch. Akpom doesn't really do enough in that regard (Warnock has said a few times how disappointed he's been with him, and I don't just think he means goal output) and players like Britt have always been useless at it.

I expect our top goal scorers next year to be the wide-men. 

• Like 2

I dont think Waghorn a poor player for this league. His numbers bar this season are in fact pretty decent.

He could be ok if we looking for another Duncan Watmore type player. Someone who can play in any of the forward positions which Waghorn has done during his career. 

apologies if its been said already but this quote from warnock got me thinking 

'As Warnock has discussed a lot of late, he's pleased with the nucleus of his squad and the likes of Anfernee Dijksteel, Marc Bola, Dael Fry, Grant Hall, Jonny Howson, Marcus Tavernier and Duncan Watmore will all play central roles next season' 

strange theres no mention of mcnair or saville , mcnair especially would probably be my first name on the teamsheet . Wonder if theres plans to sell them on . 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Boromadman said:

'As Warnock has discussed a lot of late, he's pleased with the nucleus of his squad and the likes of Anfernee Dijksteel, Marc Bola, Dael Fry, Grant Hall, Jonny Howson, Marcus Tavernier and Duncan Watmore will all play central roles next season' 

strange theres no mention of mcnair or saville , mcnair especially would probably be my first name on the teamsheet . Wonder if theres plans to sell them on . 

Hopefully "the likes of" doesn't mean "the only ones"! McNair's versatility is valuable, and Saville has scored more goals than I expected from him, so fingers crossed we can pin them both down. Add them to the ones on Warnock's list, and we've got a pretty good starting nine. Add a goalkeeper, a striker and an entire second team, and we'll be ready for promotion next season...

32 minutes ago, Boromadman said:

That is not a quote I dont think? A quote would not start with “Warnock has discussed....”.

I think that is just lazy Journalism by EG and also Lazy journalism by them in not listing all the core players who clearly form part of squad next season.

I’d more than happily keep McNair but if a stupid offer came in (which I don’t think is unlikely) I think he’s certainly replaceable. 

Defensively not great and switches off a lot, shown he’s not a CB this season. Fry and Hall should be first choice. Great in the midfield 3 but replaceable if it came to it. 

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Depends. Based on league positions, no. Based on the number of years the clubs have been in the Premier League and the training facilities on offer at Rockliffe, God yes. All things considered? There's a discussion to be had, at least. Turn the argument on its head - apart from league positions this season, why would you leave Boro for Barnsley? You might prefer their current manager to ours, but they only just survived in the Championship last season, and they've had twice as many managers as we have since the Millennium, so they're hardly an example of stability or prosperity.

This isn't a dig at you in particular, but we need to get rid of this fatalistic mentality that nobody wants to sign or play for Boro any more. Maybe under Pulis that was true, but people who don't follow our club all that closely tend to think MFC is a stable club with a loyal chairman and great facilities. And some players really do love Warnock. So yes, maybe players would defect here from Oakwell.

We do have to look at the relative positions of the two clubs right now and ask if a player is willing to leave a team that's currently higher up the division than ours, though. Are Barnsley lucky to be where they are? Are we unlucky to be where we are? And after all, he's not going to play for Middlesbrough in the 90s or the 00s, he'd be playing for Boro in the 20s. It's the choice of us right now or somebody else right now. I don't think, for example, Alex Mowatt would give a toss how many managers Barnsley have had since the millennium. We have to ask what our club is right now relative to those who might challenge us for a player's signature.

For all our greater facilities and the public image Steve Gibson still lives off of, we are a club on a relative decline, even since our last relegation in 2017, even discounting the blip of last season. Our previous years in the Premier League mean nothing to the active status of the club or so far as its recent history. There was a time we could call ourselves a PL club in all but name, when we'd spent a significant majority of our time there since its inception. When we got relegated in 2009, we'd spent 14 of the 17 years it had been going in the Prem. As of the end of next season, we'll have spent as much time out of it as we've had in it.

Of course players will still want to play for us, we're not gonna run out of options and be stuck with playing kids. But its whether the players we want will want to play for us, that's the problem that is always going to need solving and when we're wanting to bring so many players in, it's gonna have to be a problem we solve without spending a lot of money.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

Middlesbrough are interested in signing Derby County forward Martyn Waghorn this summer.

Derby outdid us on fee end wages to sigh him, didn't they? 

With free agents having the choice of options this summer, what are boro’s biggest selling points as a club to attract these players? 

It seems we won’t be offering them high wages so I’m interested to think on footballing terms, what makes our club appealing ?

33 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

Derby outdid us on fee end wages to sigh him, didn't they? 

Yeah they did under Pulis after his strong season at Ipswich. Think we both agreed £5m fee for him but they offered more wages

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""