oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

30 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

With free agents having the choice of options this summer, what are boro’s biggest selling points as a club to attract these players? 

It seems we won’t be offering them high wages so I’m interested to think on footballing terms, what makes our club appealing ?

Facilities and I suspect Warnock is good at selling hot air regarding ambition. 

• Haha 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I guess it depends on the money on offer but if we're trying to sign 8-9 players this summer with Bolasie and a couple of strikers on the list, you have to wonder just how much we have to throw around.

I agree we need to be able to attract the better players and bringing in a lad who we think is better than what we have on a free would be a bit of a no-brainer.

I personally still haven't really saw much in him, though, I'm not sure what he would do to improve our midfield. I'd wager there's something I'm missing considering he's got into team of the season but if we miss out on him right now, I wouldn't be overly fussed.

Britt and Fletcher are on a combined 60k or something like that. That’s probably 5-6 decent championship players there. And then a few loans. Done. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Considering we aren't looking for a centre forward who scores goals so much as one who literally bullies defenders and brings others into play, we don't have to go too wild over being linked with lumps like Waghorn.

We don't need a 20+ goal striker to play how Warnock wants us to play. We just need someone who is going to make the ball stick at the right end of the pitch. Akpom doesn't really do enough in that regard (Warnock has said a few times how disappointed he's been with him, and I don't just think he means goal output) and players like Britt have always been useless at it.

I expect our top goal scorers next year to be the wide-men. 

Just checked Boro's goal stats on the BBC website.

Apparently we've had 21 different goalscorers this season.

Watmore tops the list with 9. Britt and Akpom are joint 3rd with 5 each and Fletcher joint 5th with 4. Next striker on that list is Josh Coburn.

So thats 24 goals combined from strikers, out of a total of 55. All the rest have come from midfielders or defenders.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Just checked Boro's goal stats on the BBC website.

Apparently we've had 21 different goalscorers this season.

Watmore tops the list with 9. Britt and Akpom are joint 3rd with 5 each and Fletcher joint 5th with 4. Next striker on that list is Josh Coburn.

So thats 24 goals combined from strikers, out of a total of 55. All the rest have come from midfielders or defenders.

We've had 20 unique goalscorers in the championship, which has actually tied our club record. I read it in the Gazette today!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Brunners said:

We've had 20 unique goalscorers in the championship, which has actually tied our club record. I read it in the Gazette today!

That's good going...  think in one of Stan Anderson's seasons we only had 7 or 8 .  Hickton scored 20-odd so that did help a bit

13 hours ago, Brunners said:

And a less fun fact - Slaven is still our last player to score 20+ league goals in a season, 31 years ago 😬

• Wow 2
2 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

And a less fun fact - Slaven is still our last player to score 20+ league goals in a season, 31 years ago 😬

Thats a shocking statistic, considering the strikers we have had and the money we have paid for them in that time. I know its not easy to find a 20+ goal a season striker, but 30 years is a very long time considering a big chunk of that was not in the top flight and we had a fairly large transfer kitty for a Championship club.

17 hours ago, Borodane said:

Britt and Fletcher are on a combined 60k or something like that. That’s probably 5-6 decent championship players there. And then a few loans. Done. 

Sorry but there is little chance that the savings in wages will 100% be reinvested in new players. Our ongoing looses are too high.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Ruathain said:

Thats a shocking statistic, considering the strikers we have had and the money we have paid for them in that time. I know its not easy to find a 20+ goal a season striker, but 30 years is a very long time considering a big chunk of that was not in the top flight and we had a fairly large transfer kitty for a Championship club.

A bit less shocking though when you factor in that Boro's last several managers have built sides and used tactics where the strikers / forward players are as much (if not more) there to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, as to actually score goals.

I think we've also become more reliant on set pieces...which you'd think would help strikers, but for us they seem to be used to draw defenders away or provide flick-ons. 🤷‍♂️

I think its more symptomatic of the backwards football we've been playing and less on the fact we've been over-paying for strikers who haven't delivered. You look at teams like Norwich and Brentford, with players like Pukki and Toney scoring 25-30 goals...which shows it can still be done if you play the right way.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ruathain said:

Can't remember where I read it, but I think I saw no team in the four leagues has gone longer without a 20+ goal player than us.

But hey, at least we're top of a table 😄

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

That's a shocking stat when you think about the strikers we've had in the Riverside era - Ravanelli, Viduka, Hasselbaink, Negredo, Yakubu, Boksic, Lee Dong Gook...

If we'd had Branca or Armstrong for a full season back in 97/98 then one of them would have topped 20 goals I reckon.  We could never get a full season out of Viduka and Boksic either, which I think could have seen one of them get close to 20 goals, if not beyond.  And it's also worth remembering that Hasselbaink, Viduka and Yakubu were all there at roughly the same time so they had to share out game time.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""