oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

I find it bizarre that we keep hearing about how good our defence is. Said it during the match thread, I can't remember a Boro defence that has let in as many goals directly from awful mistakes and hap hazard defending as a unit as I have seen this season. There's something seriously wrong with it, whether it's the individuals or the way they're set up. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I find it bizarre that we keep hearing about how good our defence is. Said it during the match thread, I can't remember a Boro defence that has let in as many goals directly from awful mistakes and hap hazard defending as a unit as I have seen this season. There's something seriously wrong with it, whether it's the individuals or the way they're set up. 

Our defence is worryingly poor. Badly coached and full of mistakes.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Quote me if I’m wrong but in the first half of the season, didn’t we have one of the best defensive records? That’s with Betenelli aswell! Think it was when we had Dijksteel, Fry, McNair and Bola playing regularly? Second half of season our defence has definitely been significantly poorer. Like you say, the amount of pathetic, cheap goals we have conceded is unforgivable.

Having a good defence is half of the  battle to get promoted. It’s why we were battling for playoffs earlier in the season. We certainly weren’t scoring goals.

Come end of season, we were pathetic at both, so we trickled down the table. 

Seems as though we need to find our hood defensive form again (getting Fry back will help) and somehow find goals. We haven’t managed the latter in as long as I can remember.

5 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Quote me if I’m wrong but in the first half of the season, didn’t we have one of the best defensive records? That’s with Betenelli aswell! Think it was when we had Dijksteel, Fry, McNair and Bola playing regularly? Second half of season our defence has definitely been significantly poorer. Like you say, the amount of pathetic, cheap goals we have conceded is unforgivable.

Having a good defence is half of the  battle to get promoted. It’s why we were battling for playoffs earlier in the season. We certainly weren’t scoring goals.

Come end of season, we were pathetic at both, so we trickled down the table. 

Seems as though we need to find our hood defensive form again (getting Fry back will help) and somehow find goals. We haven’t managed the latter in as long as I can remember.

Yeah the injuries didn't help, but we still had hall and McNair even when fry was out, both of those are highly rated. Fisher came in for dijksteel for the majority of the second half of the season when he wasn't fit, and he's also claimed to be a good defender (I don't really see it). Everyone is pretty much in agreement that Bola had a good season. 

So what is it? Do the players not play well together? Is it the goalkeeper issue, not being well enough organised? But then the reason that keeper was picked for the entire season was said to be his communication skills. Warnock himself has been quoted within the last couple of weeks as saying that he wouldn't swap any of our defenders for anyone in the country. 

so what's the issue here? It doesn't add up at all. 

• Like 1

To go with the Hoilett news, I was told Warnock is likely to try hard for Clucas at Stoke who’s also out of contract. He name checked him last season in a swap for McNair so it probably has legs 

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I wonder if we should tell them we'd happily let him go for a bag of Haribo Tangfastics...or in their case a box of Tunnock's tea cakes?

I live half a mile from the Tunnocks factory, and I'd happily swap Spence for a six-pack of teacakes. In fact, I'd swap him for one of the staff, who seem pretty rapid when it comes to running round the corner to Marinis for a fish supper. If all you want from an RB is some pace, Wee Tam from quality control knows how to put a shift in, literally and metaphorically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd hope this preseason we're working a lot on defending corners, freekicks and long throw-ins as we look so suspect when we try and defend these. This includes the desperare need for a keeper who's good at commanding his area, along with buying outfield players who are big enough to deal with strong/tall opposition.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Yeah the injuries didn't help, but we still had hall and McNair even when fry was out, both of those are highly rated. Fisher came in for dijksteel for the majority of the second half of the season when he wasn't fit, and he's also claimed to be a good defender (I don't really see it). Everyone is pretty much in agreement that Bola had a good season. 

So what is it? Do the players not play well together? Is it the goalkeeper issue, not being well enough organised? But then the reason that keeper was picked for the entire season was said to be his communication skills. Warnock himself has been quoted within the last couple of weeks as saying that he wouldn't swap any of our defenders for anyone in the country. 

so what's the issue here? It doesn't add up at all. 

Agree with pretty much all of that. Not sure if it’s related but I’ve always seen our defence this year being ‘too nice’. Don’t know what it is but we seem so naive and ‘shy’ in a way that’s hard to explain. There doesn’t seem to be much controlled aggression, for example when going for headers and putting bodies on the line. Even in the opposition box when attacking corners, it speaks a lot that as soon as Hall came into the team, he single handedly made us look so much more threatening from set pieces.
Even Fry for as good as a defender he is, I still think he’s a bit too ‘nice’ sometimes. I do think he’s improved this year though in that aspect. 

• Like 3

Like a few of the other lads, not claiming to be in the know but got a bit of info at the weekend. Came from someone within football that knows a few of our lads so got every reason to believe him. 

Supposedly we’ll go after Ikpeazu, the Wycombe striker, in the summer now that they’ve gone down. 

I don’t think he looks great in front of goal but he’s a real handful and caused us all sorts of bother the two times we played them this season. I don’t think he’d be coming in as a first-choice mind. 

23 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

To go with the Hoilett news, I was told Warnock is likely to try hard for Clucas at Stoke who’s also out of contract. He name checked him last season in a swap for McNair so it probably has legs 

I don't think he's out of contract, I think he's being allowed to leave on a free cos he's on too much money.

5 minutes ago, CWC said:

Like a few of the other lads, not claiming to be in the know but got a bit of info at the weekend. Came from someone within football that knows a few of our lads so got every reason to believe him. 

Supposedly we’ll go after Ikpeazu, the Wycombe striker, in the summer now that they’ve gone down. 

I don’t think he looks great in front of goal but he’s a real handful and caused us all sorts of bother the two times we played them this season. I don’t think he’d be coming in as a first-choice mind. 

Maddo was talking about that link during the game, I think. He didn't sound particularly keen.

No disrespect to him but I think him causing our defence problems the other day was more about how bad we were than how good he was. It wouldn't be the first relatively poor player we've made look better than they are this season.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, CWC said:

He might just help set up more chances for other players which is certainly what he did for there second goal. 

just thinking about all the goals we conceded this season. you know the ones were its clearly one of our players being completely messing up to allow that chance. other then the gash we had in goal or spence and his casual defending. Paddy Mcmarkingfreshair. how many times has he gone walkabouts and totally left us wide open. like one of the wycombe goals. its criminal, hes garbage a total liability and cant be trusted to play cb. 

hes way better in midfield. i'd feel much better if paddy was one of our holding players. his lapses in concentration must have cost us a dozen points at least this season on his own. new CB and new keeper. add in a forward who the ball doesnt bounce 20 feet off them and we will find it had not to reach the play offs.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""