oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

45 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Qprs second keeper .. not sure that's an upgrade!

He's a really good keeper IMO, they're just blessed with two great keepers.

36 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

Definitely not an upgrade seen him play for donny this season he was poor 

having said that, I haven't watched him this season, so take this opinion over mine! 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Don't worry - it'll work next season once Warnock has got all the players he wants. 😉

I genuinely believe that if Warnock actually 100% has the squad he wants then it could take us up next season or at least have us in the play-offs and take it from there.

What annoys me is that I think we 100% should have made it into the play-offs this season with the squad we have. He chose to have us play in a certain way that all but eliminated the threat of our out-and-out strikers and instead of changing that to suit what he had, he pinned it on those players, essentially saying they're not good enough. The 'no strikers' comment in particular really rubbed me up the wrong way, deflecting the blame onto the tools he had at his disposal.

Fletcher, sure he was injured a lot this season but individually I thought he was the best we'd seen him last year. Akpom, we'll genuinely never know whether he was any good for us because we clearly never played to his strengths, whatever they were. It's Britt that hits it home most, though. 5 goals from a striker who has legitimately guaranteed 14+ goals every year except last season which was collectively a ***-fest. Even then he managed 11. And Warnock has essentially said he's not a striker!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Surprised you take that stance regarding Akpom. To me he is a limited footballer in the extreme. Seems to be regarded as taking up a valuable squad place offering little in return. He isn’t good enough for a side harbouring promotion aspirations.

Two issues- will there be any interest? Can we sign someone substantially better?

How do we even know that? Warnock has managed to make Britt a 5 goal striker, as per the above. Akpom could be anything better than what he is and we'll never know whilst he's playing for us under Warnock.

So long as its not to our detriment, of course, I'd love him to leave and bang in the goals elsewhere and prove Warnock wrong about him.

10 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He's a really good keeper IMO, they're just blessed with two great keepers.

having said that, I haven't watched him this season, so take this opinion over mine! 

He wasn’t great when I watched them play wouldn’t say I’d be keen on him been number 1. Dieng is excellent on the other hand was very impressive on loan at donny season before 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Hopefully not confusing with Joanne Lumley

Going from Donnyboro's opinion she might be better between the sticks! 😂

14 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

That Akpom news has really *** me off, Neil Warnock get the *** out of our club

Unfortunately he's going nowhere for at least another season. Bit of an over-reaction isn't it?

I don't agree with publicly calling out players - unless there are serious disciplinary issues or other things going on that are making them difficult to work with. But he's hardly the first manager to do it and won't be the last.

Also doesn't make Warnock look great since Akpom was one of his signings... 

5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Going from Donnyboro's opinion she might be better between the sticks! 😂

Unfortunately he's going nowhere for at least another season. Bit of an over-reaction isn't it?

I don't agree with publicly calling out players - unless there are serious disciplinary issues or other things going on that are making them difficult to work with. But he's hardly the first manager to do it and won't be the last.

Also doesn't make Warnock look great since Akpom was one of his signings... 

He's rewritten history on that, in case you missed that! It was all the recruitment teams fault.

• Haha 1

Interest in Lumley is underwhelming. 5 games for QPR then 2 games for Gillingham and Doncaster on loan this season. Not a great surprise as the way Blackwell and Warnock handled the GK situation since arriving suggests they're a terrible judge of a player.

Am I right in thinking Stojanovic is exempt from the work permit rules as he was here prior to them taking effect? He's easily the best keeper at the club and for me even Pears was better than both Bettinelli and Archer. 

Absolutely no faith that Warnock and co will improve this squad. We are going nowhere whilst they're here. Sooner they're gone the better.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Surprised you take that stance regarding Akpom. To me he is a limited footballer in the extreme. Seems to be regarded as taking up a valuable squad place offering little in return. He isn’t good enough for a side harbouring promotion aspirations.

Two issues- will there be any interest? Can we sign someone substantially better?

The problem isn't Akpom it's the way we play. He was scoring goals for fun in Greece and the Champions League, he clearly knows where the net is but he doesn't get the service the way NW plays. Then NW has the nerve to throw him under the bus for it? Sorry but that's not on.

13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I genuinely believe that if Warnock actually 100% has the squad he wants then it could take us up next season or at least have us in the play-offs and take it from there.

What annoys me is that I think we 100% should have made it into the play-offs this season with the squad we have. He chose to have us play in a certain way that all but eliminated the threat of our out-and-out strikers and instead of changing that to suit what he had, he pinned it on those players, essentially saying they're not good enough. The 'no strikers' comment in particular really rubbed me up the wrong way, deflecting the blame onto the tools he had at his disposal.

Fletcher, sure he was injured a lot this season but individually I thought he was the best we'd seen him last year. Akpom, we'll genuinely never know whether he was any good for us because we clearly never played to his strengths, whatever they were. It's Britt that hits it home most, though. 5 goals from a striker who has legitimately guaranteed 14+ goals every year except last season which was collectively a ***-fest. Even then he managed 11. And Warnock has essentially said he's not a striker!

Yeah - that baffled and annoyed me.

This is why I have serious reservations about next season...even assuming Warnock is able to get all the players he wants.

As you said, instead of looking at what he had available to him and trying to set up the team to play to everyone's strengths, he continued the sorry trend of managers who have put square pegs in round holes...with similar results.

Maybe Akpom was an anomaly, but it does make you wonder if any more signings will end up benched and deemed not good enough.

I know wide players can and have been converted to strikers fairly successfully, but its still insulting to the players brought in to score goals, to say we have no strikers. Can't have helped squad morale.

I really don't like how we've played midfielders in defence either. I think both Howson and McNair have stuck to their jobs pretty manfully...but its clearly not their forte. Think Howson could be going the same way as Friend.

I reckon if we had Tav and Paddy in midfield, plus a couple of decent wingers, our strikers might get some decent service.

13 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

He's rewritten history on that, in case you missed that! It was all the recruitment teams fault.

Wait...what? Boro have a recruitment team? 

I thought we just had a couple of work experience lads who kept an eye on transfermarkt? 😁

• Haha 1

The season hasn’t even begun and I’m already so switched off to more Warnock. Gibson deserves slating for giving us Pulis AND then Warnock and not learning from his mistakes. 

• Like 4
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""