oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

@Borolad1876. Warnock did say he is off to watch Sunderland when asked about Wyke. He then added I might be watching Wyke or I might be watching someone else. So there could be some truth in the Hume rumour. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/famara-diedhiou-bristol-city-middlesbrough-20596229

Gazette confirm same line on Diedhiou in thar he needs to get financially realistic if he wants to remain in Championship.

Also hint in above article there could be some truth in Smith from Rotherham rumours but say Wyke currently not a target.

I imagine Wyke won’t be a target until Sunderland know which league they will be playing in.

Regarding Hume I believe he is out of contract this summer. Was looking a really good player, think he has had an injury of late and missed their run in.

We are also watching their keeper (Burge) who is out of contract as well. Not sure I would be happy with a massive influx of league one players.

Edited by GrimsbyBoro
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Reading some of the suggestions on here makes me nervous. I hope we are looking to sign first team starters and not back up players. There is no point in signing back ups to players that finished 10th in the Championship not unless we are looking to finish 15th next season! We need better than we have, not back ups to a sea of underwhelming bottlers.

It's all about balance though isn't it.

In an ideal world I'd love us to be able to sign better than what we have. But in certain positions come the summer we'll have no-one for those places (Wingers and Strikers*), so by that point anyone will be better than what we have! 😂

There's also a financial element too, how much would it costs us to sign players that are better than what we have in areas like the defence for example? Then in areas like midfield it's obvious NW has a very set preference when it comes to starters (Maybe Saville excluded), so realistically who is going to come in an replace those and at what cost?

*If Warnock gets his way.

"Rotherham United's Michael Smith is someone who is thought to have impressed Warnock and ticks several of the boxes of what the boss is looking for up-top."

Worried next season will be an even tougher watch, can't say I've seen much of him like but average record and presumably a donkey type?

Maybe we can now put that statue up of Downing which Pulis thought he deserved.

Albeit I don't think Steve quite holds Downing in such high regards as he used to

Just now, TLF10 said:

Maybe we can now put that statue up of Downing which Pulis thought he deserved.

Albeit I don't think Steve quite holds Downing in such high regards as he used to

Doesn't even hold him in high enough regard to tell him the truth about his future when he signs a contract waiver, according to Downing. I imagine that feeling is, or at least was, more than mutual.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

"Rotherham United's Michael Smith is someone who is thought to have impressed Warnock and ticks several of the boxes of what the boss is looking for up-top."

Worried next season will be an even tougher watch, can't say I've seen much of him like but average record and presumably a donkey type?

If Smith signs i would imagine he would certainly be arriving as back up and not main striker.

Secondly 10 goals and 3 assists for the team that finished 2nd bottom in league imo is not the worst record.

Yes he wont get pulses raising but Kieffer Moore hit 10 goals for struggling Wigan last season and in a better team his return was better and we (whether people like NW or not) are better than Rotherham.

I am not for one second suggesting Smith will score 20 goals for us like Moore has for Cardiff but he would not be worst back up target man if that is what he arrives as given his numbers last season.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

If Smith signs i would imagine he would certainly be arriving as back up and not main striker.

Secondly 10 goals and 3 assists for the team that finished 2nd bottom in league imo is not the worst record.

Yes he wont get pulses raising but Kieffer Moore hit 10 goals for struggling Wigan last season and in a better team his return was better and we (whether people like NW or not) are better than Rotherham.

I am not for one second suggesting Smith will score 20 goals for us like Moore has for Cardiff but he would not be worst back up target man if that is what he arrives as given his numbers last season.

£1.2m is the figure being quoted so we'll probably get ripped for for £2m knowing us

4 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

£1.2m is the figure being quoted so we'll probably get ripped for for £2m knowing us

Absolutely no chance I would be paying that. He is 30 and has 12 months left on his contract i read. Defo needs to be a 6 figure sum and not 7 figure sum.

41 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Thats what I thought. He scored more than any of our players (just) in a team so bad they got relegated.

If Warnock can sort our team out to provide something approaching decent service, he could be a good acquisition. Or at least as good as we can expect if we're rebuilding on a tight budget.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Changing Times said:

They are bargains despite their wages?  🤔

yes, if you get a player worth  millions on a free, its a bargin.  i dont get whats so hard to understand about that. do you think you dont pay wages if you have to pay a transfer fee?  the wages are likely the same regardless whether signed on a free or for a fee. so avoiding the transfer is obviously desirable as you potentially save millions in fees.

i really dont get whats hard to understand about this. its literally why clubs wait till summer for players contracts to expire so they dont have to pay transfer fees.

Edited by tmcc
18 minutes ago, tmcc said:

yes, if you get a player worth  millions on a free, its a bargin.  i dont get whats so hard to understand about that. do you think you dont pay wages if you have to pay a transfer fee?  the wages are likely the same regardless whether signed on a free or for a fee. so avoiding the transfer is obviously desirable as you potentially save millions in fees.

i really dont get whats hard to understand about this. its literally why clubs wait till summer for players contracts to expire so they dont have to pay transfer fees.

Agent fees and sometimes even wages are actually higher on free transfers usually, so it's not always as simple as free = saving money.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""