oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

Just now, Brunners said:

Agent fees and sometimes even wages are actually higher on free transfers usually, so it's not always as simple as free = saving money.

source?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, tmcc said:

source?

Almost every free transfer in history. Players usually run down their contracts to get a much better deal elsewhere because clubs don’t have to pay a fee. It’s literally the going talk of every free transfer. Do you honestly believe Madrid would make Alaba one of the best paid players on the world if they had to pay a top fee also? Agents know exactly what to demand when there are no transfer fee involved. 
A more familiar move is Viduka from Boro to Newcastle. 

• Like 1
Just now, Borodane said:

Almost every free transfer in history. Players usually run down their contracts to get a much better deal elsewhere because clubs don’t have to pay a fee. It’s literally the going talk of every free transfer. Do you honestly believe Madrid would make Alaba one of the best paid players on the world if they had to pay a top fee also? Agents know exactly what to demand when there are no transfer fee involved. 

yes, but the point is how much would it have cost to sign Alaba? im not arguing that they dont have to pay more in wages in sometimes for free transfers, but im saying that the cost of actually having to buy that player is far higher than any increace you may see in wages and agent fees.
its much better finacially for the club to sign a free than it is to pay for them it almost all cases.

Look at britt for example, hes probably valued around 5 million, do you really think his potentially increaced wages and agent fees are going to come anywhere near that? ofcourse not.

Edited by tmcc
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

A more familiar move is Viduka from Boro to Newcastle. 

generally true for indemand players, but even then it will depend on the capability of the signing club, and all clubs have suffered during the pandemic.

Also, there are so many free transfers this year that many players, and agents, may need to lower their demands.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Does anyone know where the Johnson leaving story has come from? Cant see anything on internet? 

Just Humpty on here saying it as far as I can see.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

generally true for indemand players, but even then it will depend on the capability of the signing club, and all clubs have suffered during the pandemic.

Also, there are so many free transfers this year that many players, and agents, may need to lower their demands.

This year is different for sure, but the claim was that wages are likely the same whether the player costs a fee or comes on a free, which I think is wrong in almost every case. When a club doesn’t have to play a fee they are more than likely more inclined to pay a higher signon fee and/or wages than the would of said player wasn’t free. 

But yes the total cost is cheaper when the player is on a free. 

• Like 3

We’ve all watched our team for the last few years and we have never had a target man since Mark Viduka, and maybe Bamford. Forget the goals, they are a bonus. A target man holds the ball up, doesn’t lose possession easily, backs in, flicks the ball on, brings the midfield and wingers into play. They are scarce in top league football because it is all about boring five yards passes but ideal in the lower leagues like the Championship, they are gold dust. I’ve watched this year and I like Smith, Ikpeazu and Ched Evans.  Diedhiou would be the best as he can hold the ball up and would score more goals. Whoever we get must surely be an improvement on Britt, Fletcher and Gestede.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

We’ve all watched our team for the last few years and we have never had a target man since Mark Viduka, and maybe Bamford. Forget the goals, they are a bonus. A target man holds the ball up, doesn’t lose possession easily, backs in, flicks the ball on, brings the midfield and wingers into play. They are scarce in top league football because it is all about boring five yards passes but ideal in the lower leagues like the Championship, they are gold dust. I’ve watched this year and I like Smith, Ikpeazu and Ched Evans.  Diedhiou would be the best as he can hold the ball up and would score more goals. Whoever we get must surely be an improvement on Britt, Fletcher and Gestede.

Totally agree, I was so depressed when we sold bamford as he was the only striker we’d had for years that thrived in the lone striker role, even when he wasn’t scoring he would be at least Linking up play etc, or he could drift out wide and offer a threat that way. 

We always seem to fall for the top scorer meme and get in strikers that can score goals and do nothing else. If we aren’t supplying them in the exact way they like then they are essentially useless.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, sambaDTR said:

Additionally, with no striker that can hold the ball upfront in the squad, our defence never gets to train against one, and it shows in games

• Like 2

Like other clubs are we going to publish a released players list?

Actually looking back I do not think we often do that.

Has MFC confirmed the departures of any player yet?

Morning all! Got an update on the GK midweek and forgot to post….. “all agreed, 100%. Contract signed in the next few weeks.” 
Apparently the player is really excited about joining the club, sees it as a big move for him. FootyInsider obviously confirmed the name yesterday 
1 down, 7 or 8 to go! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
15 minutes ago, Brisbrough said:

Morning all! Got an update on the GK midweek and forgot to post….. “all agreed, 100%. Contract signed in the next few weeks.” 
Apparently the player is really excited about joining the club, sees it as a big move for him. FootyInsider obviously confirmed the name yesterday 
1 down, 7 or 8 to go! 

I missed the footyinsider any link please ?

16 minutes ago, Brisbrough said:

1 down, 7 or 8 to go! 

I'm a bit worried if Joe Lumley is NW's first choice keeper, I'd rather have Stojanovic back.

• Like 4

I really hope we haven't tried to sign him solely on the basis of playing a blinder against us. I hope he does well for us.

But anyone's better than Bettinelli.

It's mad that within a year we went from the best goalkeeper in the Championship to the worst.

• Like 4
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""