oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

I really hope we haven't tried to sign him solely on the basis of playing a blinder against us. I hope he does well for us.

But anyone's better than Bettinelli.

It's mad that within a year we went from the best goalkeeper in the Championship to the worst.

This is what I fear. He's a good shot stopper but he's dreadful at dealing with crosses.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I really hope we haven't tried to sign him solely on the basis of playing a blinder against us. I hope he does well for us.

But anyone's better than Bettinelli.

It's mad that within a year we went from the best goalkeeper in the Championship to the worst.

Conversations were going on long before QPR match. NW knows him from his time down there 

Just now, TLF10 said:

@Brisbrough thank you for the info. You heard any other snippets?

Whether Lumley joining as a no.1 or no.2 might become clearer once we know if Archer been offered a new deal.

No nothing. Absolutely not an ITK, simply know the right person at the right time who shared a bit because they know I’m a Boro fan. Will share of I do though 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Brisbrough said:

Conversations were going on long before QPR match. NW knows him from his time down there 

Ah yeah, of course he will have done.

Slightly more encouraging then, though we can't forget that he also brought in Bettinelli so his judgement clearly isn't infallible.

Happy with this Definitely an upgrade on Bettenelli.
(I would like to add I know nothing about Lumley. Even if he has both eyes or one arm. But definitely an upgrade) 

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Happy with this Definitely an upgrade on Bettenelli.
(I would like to add I know nothing about Lumley. Even if he has both eyes or one arm. But definitely an upgrade) 

Probably also an upgrade on Bettinelli...

Waving Family Guy GIF

• Haha 2
16 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

It's all about balance though isn't it.

In an ideal world I'd love us to be able to sign better than what we have. But in certain positions come the summer we'll have no-one for those places (Wingers and Strikers*), so by that point anyone will be better than what we have! 😂

There's also a financial element too, how much would it costs us to sign players that are better than what we have in areas like the defence for example? Then in areas like midfield it's obvious NW has a very set preference when it comes to starters (Maybe Saville excluded), so realistically who is going to come in an replace those and at what cost?

*If Warnock gets his way.

I’ve always been of the opinion that not buying better than what you have, for a club like Middlesbrough, is a waste of resource.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I’ve always been of the opinion that not buying better than what you have, for a club like Middlesbrough, is a waste of resource.

I agree with that sentiment too, especially with the club where it is now in terms of finances.

But in the case of our presumable back 4 next season (Bola, Hall, Fry, Dijksteel). Financially who would be available that would be better than those 4 for example. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that there isn't players better than them out there, but how much would the better players cost us to bring in. I look at the free agents for example and no-one immediately jumps out (That is a realistic free agent). So at that stage do you bite the bullet and think, well we probably can't afford to bring in players that'll replace those 4, so do we bring someone in that would be an adept player if injuries suspensions hit. If that makes sense?

Then in the case of the young Morecambe winger (Gomes), I'd be looking at him as someone who could offer something from the bench or as cover now, but with the main intention of him developing into a much better player within 2/3 seasons. But with that in mind I'd still be targeting someone who would be ahead of him at least in the shorter term. As a complete hypothetical if we had Bolasie as the first choice and Gomes behind him for example. Then when Bolasie left, dipped in form etc, Gomes would come in and replace him. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Any idea where Marv is going to Humpty? Heard any other snippets? 

I don’t I’m afraid. He’s moving out of his house though. So it’s an assumption on my part.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I agree with that sentiment too, especially with the club where it is now in terms of finances.

But in the case of our presumable back 4 next season (Bola, Hall, Fry, Dijksteel). Financially who would be available that would be better than those 4 for example. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that there isn't players better than them out there, but how much would the better players cost us to bring in. I look at the free agents for example and no-one immediately jumps out (That is a realistic free agent). So at that stage do you bite the bullet and think, well we probably can't afford to bring in players that'll replace those 4, so do we bring someone in that would be an adept player if injuries suspensions hit. If that makes sense?

Then in the case of the young Morecambe winger (Gomes), I'd be looking at him as someone who could offer something from the bench or as cover now, but with the main intention of him developing into a much better player within 2/3 seasons. But with that in mind I'd still be targeting someone who would be ahead of him at least in the shorter term. As a complete hypothetical if we had Bolasie as the first choice and Gomes behind him for example. Then when Bolasie left, dipped in form etc, Gomes would come in and replace him. 

I agree to an extent as well. There are always better players out there for affordable prices. We just need to find them. Brentford have proved this. I don’t see the point in buying players we know are going to be back up (keepers aside).

That statement “better than what we have” covers young players with potential as well. No problem buying youngsters with potential that could turn in to players that are better than what we have.

• Like 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""