oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

I would prefer to hang onto him as a midfielder but if we have to sacrifice one of our saleable assets, then would rather it was him than Fry or Tav..  would be nice if Malley progressed enough to replace him in midfield but needs a few more games under his belt .. need to make sure anyone who needs to go out on loan gets games rather than warms a bench and enough bodies to ensure we don't reach the bare bones again next year 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

As others have said, McNair has defensive deficiencies, which in a back four are eveident. In a back three it negates those hugely, but he also adds another element to the back three by being able to step out. If we go to a back four, I think Hall and Fry are ahead of him. 

In midfield I'm really torn again as he has some really good attributes. But he slows the transition down a lot when he's in the middle of the park and it hampers us going forwards.

The big thing that worries me with this all, is we are potentially sacrificing one of our better performers this year (and potentially generating a decent fee). In order to bring in players to suit our manager's tactical set-up/gameplan better, but said manager is only potentially going to be here for a year. But I imagine the new signings will be here after he's gone.

Anyway I'd say £8m+ is a fair price for McNair. 

Edited by DanFromDownSouth

Fry - 20m+, young english centre back with plenty of game time under his belt. Needs to be at least 20m.

McNair - 8-12m, pointless selling him for anything less than 8m.

Tav - 20m+, Too important for us to sell and he has bags of potential. We are so much better with him in the team.

Spence 4m+, People are harsh on him considering his age, still think he'll be a good player. But anything above 4m could allow us to strengthen our squad in positions we don't have depth in.

How many times did McNair play in centre midfield under Warnock? Id guess less than 5 times, so it's hard to say what he would bring to the midfield role in that system. 

What I would say is if we intend to play him in midfield and we were offered any more than 5mil I'd be snapping their hands off. We don't need 5mil players in that position under warnock, the only qualities they need is to be hard workers and good stamina. We play the ball over the midfield 9 times out of 10 so they don't need much more than that.

1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

How many times did McNair play in centre midfield under Warnock? Id guess less than 5 times, so it's hard to say what he would bring to the midfield role in that system. 

What I would say is if we intend to play him in midfield and we were offered any more than 5mil I'd be snapping their hands off. We don't need 5mil players in that position under warnock, the only qualities they need is to be hard workers and good stamina. We play the ball over the midfield 9 times out of 10 so they don't need much more than that.

That is quite short signed though, Warnock isn't going to be here after next season so it would be handy to have 1 or 2 players that can actually play football if required. 

1 minute ago, Aphex_Boro said:

That is quite short signed though, Warnock isn't going to be here after next season so it would be handy to have 1 or 2 players that can actually play football if required. 

You're preaching to the choir mate! Just trying to view it from warnocks stand point. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

We play the ball over the midfield 9 times out of 10 so they don't need much more than that.

like a boss win GIF

Could probably invest the £5m into getting a massive bar installed across the pitch with 3 "midfielders" (titanium mannequins) attached to it. To generate extra funds we could raffle off operating the bar to "play midfield" each game.

• Haha 6

Who is likely to buy him?  Why would they be interested?  Those two things will impact the likely price. 

I can't see him getting into any side in the top 12 in the Premier League in any position.  As a defender I think he might struggle to get into any Premier League side, maybe one or two but only that.  Burnley wouldn't buy him unless they intend to change things quite significantly.  Brighton are 17th at the moment, I doubt he would get into their side ahead of their defenders.  The Geordies?  Palace?  Maybe an outside bet could be someone like Sheff Utd, if their intention is to stick with 3 at the back.  As a midfielder I think his options would be fairly limited as well, perhaps even more so in a weird way, simply because of the type of midfielder he is as much as anything.  The assists are a nice bonus but 4 of them are from set pieces, so unless you intend for him to be your set piece taker, then that is not all that relevant to you as a buyer.

On the plus side, his versatility could give him an advantage over others, maybe someone would see him as a utility squad player for example.  He can play a bit so having him as a defender gives you a player who can move into midfield and add another player to the attacking build up.  He can get a few goals from midfield as well if you play him there.  And he has a decent cross on him so he can add that.

But, those are all related to the Championship, not the Premier League.  I'm not sure how how he'd cope as a defender trying to play out from the back.  Whenever he's put under pressure now he never looks comfortable, I don't see that changing if he moves up a level.  He tends to be better when he joins in with our attacks, as opposed to starting them really, and how often will he be able to do that playing in the Premier League?  Everything comes down to what belief there is that he can he can raise or adapt his game.  People are talking about him as our player of the season, which probably has some truth to it, but he isn't our best player, and his season wasn't outstanding in Championship terms.  It was an ok season for a midtable Championship team essentially.  Unless your perceived strengths will translate easily into the Premier League then that's not likely to earn a big money move anywhere.  We'd have to push for more than we paid for him but if Warnock thinks he can get a big commanding central defender and a big striker for £5m/£6m, then why would he want to keep him if an offer of that amount came in?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Who is likely to buy him?  Why would they be interested?  Those two things will impact the likely price. 

Any prem team that can’t buy cheaper on the continent due to brexit and relegated teams who also cannot buy uncapped players on the cheap. Teams like Newcastle, burnley, Brighton etc. 

Sheff Utd were linked with Paddy last summer and he would have suited the system they played under Wilder very nicely. If they stick with that system they could be interested again.

• Like 1

I'd throw Norwich into the list of potential McNair suitors. An experienced Championship Player who has played in the Premiership and at International level against World Class opponents who can fill in at the back or in midfield and if they come back down again is good enough for the fight to get back up without breaking the bank.

Or maybe they could sign a load of overpaid Latin types who get injured easily, sulk and disrupt dressing rooms and couldn't give a stuff as their agent will have an exit strategy lined up before the ink has dried on the contract.

23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Or maybe they could sign a load of overpaid Latin types who get injured easily, sulk and disrupt dressing rooms and couldn't give a stuff as their agent will have an exit strategy lined up before the ink has dried on the contract.

Because they are exclusively Latin character traits - perhaps they should sign more Mersons and Tomlins.

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Because they are exclusively Latin character traits - perhaps they should sign more Mersons and Tomlins.

It was a tongue in cheek dig at our Premiership "visit" versus how Norwich and their long game strategy prevailed. I'd have another Merson or even a Ramirez back in a heartbeat if they propelled us to promotion.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""