oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

He was probably our top target because he was free and experienced at this level. It's disconcerting when we need three in and we've missed out on a free transfer. Going to be a long summer.

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Out of all the tall battering rams we've been linked with, James Collins was probably my top choice. We can't even attract players over Cardiff anymore.

We're going to end up with Michael Smith, I can tell.

3 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Out of all the tall battering rams we've been linked with, James Collins was probably my top choice. We can't even attract players over Cardiff anymore.

With Collins being an Irish International he will have had previous experience of working under Mick McCarthy so as well as Cardiff probably being financially better off than us it will also have been a case of better the devil he knows plus he also knows that Warnock will only be his Manager for the next twelve months and then what?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Is that really surprising?

Cardiff were in the Premier League more recently, they've finished above us for years now and they have parachute payments.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Cardiff were in the Premier League more recently, they've finished above us for years now and they have parachute payments.

Not any more. Only one year in Premier League, so only two years parachute payments, like Boro. So you would imagine they are having to cut costs fairly drastically this year - but they still beat us to .Collins!

11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm not saying his reasons aren't justified and I understand his decision, we are a shambles.

At the same time Cardiff are a club I'd say we're definitely on the same level as in terms of size and the fact they already have one of the best strikers in the league who he would rather play 2nd fiddle to, rather than being the main man here (a team in desperate need for strikers) says it all.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Not any more. Only one year in Premier League, so only two years parachute payments, like Boro. So you would imagine they are having to cut costs fairly drastically this year - but they still beat us to .Collins!

Ah yeah, forgot the 2 year bit, but they're also going to be in a much more stable financial place than we were.

We were relegated and spent £50m and then £20m, plus the ridiculous wages.

They were relegated and spent £16m and then £3m.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DevKWat said:

If James Collins was a top target I’ve got absolutely no faith in us getting enough to target promotion this season. So we now move onto whoever was a worse option than him 😂 embarrassing 

I think its more depressing than anything. Just confirms my impression that Boro are one of those teams few good players want to sign for...unless we offer stupid money...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

This is scarily familiar, right down to the team signing our top option!

In a few weeks watch NW trot out the "actually we just need 4 or 5" line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I think its more depressing than anything. Just confirms my impression that Boro are one of those teams few good players want to sign for...unless we offer stupid money...

Well how do you sell us as a destination to players? Look at the pros and cons -

Cons -

Short term manager who won't be here any longer than 2 years max

Brand of football is unattractive 

Finished mid table and showed a fair bit of mental fragility

Needing a huge rebuild and there aren't really the foundations there for a true promotion push - these will need to be signed

Financial constraints

Unfashionable part of the country

Pros -

Committed chairman, probably won't be going under anytime soon - you'll get paid your wages which isn't always a given at this level

Still considered to have good training facilities - but then most clubs do now. 

Probably get into the first team pretty easily if you show any form/if you're a limited player but work hard

I can't think of many reasons why any player would choose us if they have a few clubs after them to be honest, can anyone else? 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well how do you sell us as a destination to players? Look at the pros and cons -

Cons -

Short term manager who won't be here any longer than 2 years max

Brand of football is unattractive 

Finished mid table and showed a fair bit of mental fragility

Needing a huge rebuild and there aren't really the foundations there for a true promotion push - these will need to be signed

Financial constraints

Unfashionable part of the country

Pros -

Committed chairman, probably won't be going under anytime soon - you'll get paid your wages which isn't always a given at this level

Still considered to have good training facilities - but then most clubs do now. 

Probably get into the first team pretty easily if you show any form/if you're a limited player but work hard

I can't think of many reasons why any player would choose us if they have a few clubs after them to be honest, can anyone else? 

Can't disagree with any of that.

Probably doesn't help that as well as being unfashionable, Boro still often gets referred to as one of the most deprived areas in the country (along with Bolton now).

Also confirms that the club will continue to tread water while Warnock is here. I think we just have to accept that next season will essentially be post-Covid stabilisation.

As to how to sell Middlesbrough to prospective signings...we could always say we're the Oberhausen of North East England... 😁

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1

we have always had to pay top dollar for decent players to come here it’s really nothing new. 

what’s changed is the game and now most teams can do the same and we don’t really offer any added value.

We really don’t help ourselves either though. We have been saying for a couple of seasons we need to reduce costs, sell players etc 

We hardly look like a club on the up. “Oh yeah that club with financial concerns that have been bleeting on publically for years about having no money I will join them”

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I honestly couldn't give a toss about missing out on James Collins.

Me either if the alternatives weren't some other colossus type player from the football league 😟. Would rather be linked with better footballers but unfortunately that ain't happening under Warnock.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""