oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

we have always had to pay top dollar for decent players to come here it’s really nothing new. 

what’s changed is the game and now most teams can do the same and we don’t really offer any added value.

We really don’t help ourselves either though. We have been saying for a couple of seasons we need to reduce costs, sell players etc 

We hardly look like a club on the up. “Oh yeah that club with financial concerns that have been bleeting on publically for years about having no money I will join them”

Hmm while theres an element of truth to this, it's not always been the case. When we signed karanka, premier League crystal palace were going hard for him. But he chose us because of Gibson being able to sell our vision (although I think a lot of that may have been based on mourinho and Kenyon's influence). 

The problem at the moment is that along with all those other factors, I don't believe we have a vision to sell. It's obvious what we're trying to do - get promoted with a very experienced manager who has done it before. But what's the plan beyond that? It's all so unimaginative. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, stinkfinger said:

Gill was going for Joan Collins.😂

More likely that he was going for Michael Collins to fly us to the moon but unfortunately he passed away a few weeks ago.

4 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Me either if the alternatives weren't some other colossus type player from the football league 😟. Would rather be linked with better footballers but unfortunately that ain't happening under Warnock.

I mean, out of those that have been mentioned, Collins doesn't represent anything significantly different to Smith or Wyke, for me. There's not many strikers we've been linked with that really make me think 'promotion material'. Diedhiou is probably the best in terms of consistency of scoring goals at this level but he's apparently not a particularly good target man either.

The whole striker situation, our linked targets and thinking about how they'll be here beyond Warnock, it's pretty depressing to think our management would be disappointed to miss out on James Collins whether he's meant to be the main man or the back up to them. On the striker front, I was hoping for maybe a bit more imagination than what we've heard so far. It feels more like we're preparing for a relegation battle than a promotion challenge.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

The problem at the moment is that along with all those other factors, I don't believe we have a vision to sell. It's obvious what we're trying to do - get promoted with a very experienced manager who has done it before. But what's the plan beyond that? It's all so unimaginative. 

So much so that we can't even attract players who fit the unimaginative brand of football we play.

I honestly can't look at us and Cardiff and see that James Collins is making a decision to sign for them over us based on their footballing vision. They've gone from Warnock, to Harris, to McCarthy and their most successful spell in that time was with our current manager in charge.

No disrespect to Cardiff but it feels like this isn't much of a decision based on football. If the choice is between us and them right now, it feels more like a choice of who decides to offer more money or if they prefer the idea of living in a capital city. The other non-footballing factors that you mentioned above.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

That reminds me can someone create a concise transfer thread? 😂

As long as we can still talk about our favourite biscuits as well. 😁

• Haha 1

Run-of-the-mill 30 year old lower league plodders like Neil Collins turning us down highlights how our lack of club strategy leaves us in such a poor position to sign anyone. As we can't outspend teams, we've either got to innovate and have our own efficient plan - much like the vast majority of clubs of our size or smaller now - or we're going to be competing with better resourced teams for the likes of Neil Collins who are inevitably going to turn us down. We're at the back of the queue when any half decent Championship player becomes available. We had a similar situation with Kieffer Moore joining Cardiff ahead of us last summer too. Here we are, and here we'll remain until Gibson gets his head out of the 1990s. The footballing world has changed drastically and we're seemingly absolutely unaware.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 1

We should employ a past player in a consulting role. Speak to prospective signings. Build up what a good club it is to be at. For me The Little Fella would be ideal. 2/3 months contract and be involved in all conversations with prospective signings.

Too imaginative for the club this type of thinking!

• Like 1

FFS guys less of the doom and gloom. 

we've been worse

we started this sesson worse, and improved

there are plenty of players available in priority positions, and types we need that are better than what we have

new players will improve the squad

the window isn't even open yet

every club will miss out on targets

we missed out on a few to end up with Morsy, and he's been execellent

• Like 7
2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Is that really surprising?

Cardiff were in the Premier League more recently, they've finished above us for years now and they have parachute payments.

Cardiff will no longer have parashoot payments 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""