oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

13 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Possibly but if we can't afford Collins wages im sure Glatzel would be on more. 

Isn't it more likely he used us to beef up his Cardiff offer, similar to Moore last summer?

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

We should employ a past player in a consulting role. Speak to prospective signings. Build up what a good club it is to be at. For me The Little Fella would be ideal. 2/3 months contract and be involved in all conversations with prospective signings.

Too imaginative for the club this type of thinking!

I doubt anyone would listen to words of love from a player who was last here 20 years ago. They'll just listen to the finances and what we can do for them personally. If you're a flair player you will steer well clear unless it's the last day of the window and no other offers are on the table or if we offer them stupid money. If you're a hardworking lump you look at who is manager and how they play and wuptidoo Neil Warnock is manager of Boro. 

• Like 2

if i was a player and boro came called to sign me. i'd want to know their future strategy and who else they are trying to sign. same as any other club. thats before wages come into it.

i'd honestly not sign for a dinosaur manager if i had options. any modern player whats to sign for a modern progressive manager and play proper football. unless he is a dinosaur player himself. we'll only get turd players or maybe his ex players, or desperate players. i really think we should move him on now.  

we sign utter gash managers every time. warnock is the best of the lot since karanka and he is just a stop gap until what exactly?

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Isn't it more likely he used us to beef up his Cardiff offer, similar to Moore last summer?

I saw an article about Kieffer Moore today that said his wages at Cardiff are £6k a week. The max I've seen mentioned is £10k. Weren't some last summer saying Moore was using us and other interest to get a wage around £20-25k or something mad like that? Doesn't seem like he gets paid that much and yet he still went to Cardiff over us.

1 hour ago, Robin Johnson said:

We should employ a past player in a consulting role. Speak to prospective signings. Build up what a good club it is to be at. For me The Little Fella would be ideal. 2/3 months contract and be involved in all conversations with prospective signings.

TLF left us 17 years ago which means that the Players we would be targeting now would likely have been under ten years old. As an unfashionable club I wouldn't be surprised if they had never heard of Juninho as painful as it is.

I do agree that we need to market the Club but to me that means appointing a CEO who drives the vision and the identity of what we are about and where this Club is going. Right here right now we are splodging around jumping from puddle to puddle in the Championship with no sense of identity other than we used to be big in the 90's. If we did appoint a genuine CEO they would likely want to appoint a DOF and between them set out a vision which would likely start with getting Broadband instead of dial up for the Riverside along with ditching Windows 95 and take it from there.

It's pretty clear that we don't know where we are going and haven't for over a decade so how on earth are we supposed to get there without some sort of road map?

My first game at Ayresome Park was against Orient in 1971 and we lost 0-1 and we were around 7th or 8th in the Division 2 table (the Championship today) at the time. Where we are now is pretty much where we were back then under Stan Anderson, a competent outfit at this level but just not quite good enough. Jack Charlton briefly gave us pride and hope for a few seasons before he departed and we reverted back to type. Next we went bust and then a young SG arrived with lots of dreams and ambitions bringing us the Robbo era and then building on that with McClaren to bring us our finest moment before slowly marching us back down the hill to more or less where I found Boro, in mid to upper 2nd tier obscurity.

Remind me, why would any up and coming young Player want to sign for us or indeed an ageing old Pro looking for one last go?

Edited by Redcar Rioja
  • Like 4
15 hours ago, DevKWat said:

We had Negredo and bought Bamford and Gestede. Some clubs spend money for the sake of it. 

There is some truth to that last bit but in the specific example you mention, we only had Negredo, and he wasn't even our player.  Karanka clearly had no intention of playing Rhodes, and for whatever reason he was reluctant to play Stuani as a striker.  Karanka wanted different players but he did want at least one new attacker brought in during that window.  Certainly though, it does seem that sometimes clubs will spend for the sake of it.

7 hours ago, Borodane said:

I have no idea if he doesn't suit them, and I'm not sure you do either, or if they think they have better. Some teams buy a player in order to get competition and cover for more positions. With McNair you get cover and competition for CM and CD. For the smaller teams it's not always exclusively possible to buy better players than you already have, so they look at players that can add competition instead. With Brexit there is inevitably going to be a rise in demand for homegrown players.

I dunno mate, I think it is possible to see a player's fit with a club.  Burnley tend to like defenders who really are defenders first and foremost.  They aren't all that bothered about playing out from the back etc.  That's why I said I didn't see him as a fit there, although I did say unless they change their style of course.

56 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I saw an article about Kieffer Moore today that said his wages at Cardiff are £6k a week. The max I've seen mentioned is £10k. Weren't some last summer saying Moore was using us and other interest to get a wage around £20-25k or something mad like that? Doesn't seem like he gets paid that much and yet he still went to Cardiff over us.

I think that's highly unlikely to be true mate.  He had at least 6 clubs interested in signing him last summer, and the transfer fee was relatively low as Wigan were desperate to bring money in.  He would have the worst agent in history if he couldn't turn that into a better contract than 3 or 4 years at £6k per week.  I would guess that figure is what he was on at Wigan or Barnsley.

2 hours ago, Robin Johnson said:

I've thought for a while it would be brilliant if we could bring TLF in to manage us. 

I wouldn't expect him to get us playing samba football in 1 season, but given time and a workable plan, he could really transform the club, with his background and experience.

3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I've thought for a while it would be brilliant if we could bring TLF in to manage us. 

I wouldn't expect him to get us playing samba football in 1 season, but given time and a workable plan, he could really transform the club, with his background and experience.

he might get a little more patience from the fans to.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That's really just sentimentality talking.  There would be no reason at all to appoint him here.

I totally agree CT. But I am grateful for people advocating my appointment as the new manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

he might get a little more patience from the fans to.

TLF might get some patience from the over 40's and even then I'd give it until January before the knives were out for playing attractive football but just two points off the relegation places. The Championship isn't where TLF played for us and apart from that Football has changed a lot since his time in England which is the same stick used to beat Warnock with albeit their philosophies would be different.

We can't blame SG for being stuck in the 90's then ask him to bring back an ex Player with zero knowledge of the Championship or the opponents he would be facing every week.

If we are wanting to go down a more exciting Managerial route in terms of both success and the quality of football then in keeping with current trends I would take a look at appointing a Portuguese Coach. Again we would need to have a DOF to ensure an identity, continuity and a long term plan. Two Coaches I would look at are the current Olympiacos Coach Pedro Martins (maybe a tall order to entice him) but a more left field an achievable one is Ivo Veira currently at FC Famalicao.

18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

That's really just sentimentality talking.  There would be no reason at all to appoint him here.

Could appoint Doriva though?

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""