oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

As things stand we're only down 2 experienced wide men.

it's still May, so any early pessimism is a bit pointless.

I'd take a striker who scored more goals and had more involvment in buid up play than the 2 that left combined, as a quick alternative.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

I think this transfer window will be interesting where clubs may actually have more say and control in the signings given the current financial constraints. I think its going to be a big shock to footballers when in the past they would probably have been able to get a new club immediately after being released clubs they will find fewer suitors for them. It may be a good time for youth players coming through the ranks at teams but a big struggle for the players on the wrong side of 30.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I think this transfer window will be interesting where clubs may actually have more say and control in the signings given the current financial constraints. I think its going to be a big shock to footballers when in the past they would probably have been able to get a new club immediately after being released clubs they will find fewer suitors for them. It may be a good time for youth players coming through the ranks at teams but a big struggle for the players on the wrong side of 30.

Don't worry, I'm sure we can find a home for them 👍

Football Insider have said that Norwich are plotting a move for Adam Reach. If that's anywhere near accurate then we can cross Reach off our list of realistic targets.

I can see us being in or around the play off by the end of the season IF we are clever in the transfer market, I can see us getting a young goalkeeper on loan maybe someone like Baxter from Chelsea. A couple of strikers and a couple of wingers then a couple of players who can cover a few positions. I think we have a decent core of players but need a few gaps filling then some decent cover players on loan maybe. Definitely think we lacked the experience and fight last season a genuine leader on the pitch im hoping Hall and Morsy can fill that gap now they have had  a season to settle in.

23 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Football Insider have said that Norwich are plotting a move for Adam Reach. If that's anywhere near accurate then we can cross Reach off our list of realistic targets.

For me thats on a par with Watford going in for Fletcher. I can't see Reach improving their squad. Maybe as cover for a first teamer, but no more.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blanco said:

I don’t think that there is too much ground to be made up at all @AnglianRed I think that the general consensus is that Bettinelli cost us points wise so we definitely need a replacement there. I don’t know if Lumley is the answer but I’m hoping that he might be. There won’t be many better back 4’s than Dijksteel Fry Hall and Bola so minor cover possibly needed. A midfield 3 of Morsy McNair and Tav. What’s wrong with that? Cover already in place. A front 3 of a new striker in the Warnock mould flanked by Watmore and hopefully Bolasie if we can keep him. Cover needed.

Do you really think that would be a mile off promotion? 

Not a mile off...just not quite there...

You're also looking at the squad as they are on paper (above average) and not factoring in their tendency to not turn up some games, the slow starts which often cost us 1 or 2 goals etc.

Again, if Warnock and the coaches can get that out of them, then we'll do significantly better. It wasn't all down to Bettinelli remember.

Also depends on how long we can keep our best players fit. Remember how badly we missed the likes of Dijksteel, Fry and Tav when they were out?

And yes I do believe Warnock will struggle to sign players that will significantly improve the squad to a point where we can make a strong push for promotion.

But its early days and there is still time for him to change my mind.

Edited by AnglianRed

Crazy signings these promoted clubs are making first Fletcher to Watford now Reach to Norwich do they enjoy yo yoing between the divisions 😂. I can imagine the meltdown on here if we'd won the league then was signing Reach or Fletcher to spearhead our attack 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Not a mile off...just not quite there...

You're also looking at the squad as they are on paper (above average) and not factoring in their tendency to not turn up some games, the slow starts which often cost us 1 or 2 goals etc.

Again, if Warnock and the coaches can get that out of them, then we'll do significantly better. It wasn't all down to Bettinelli remember.

We also conceded a lot of soft goals from open play. Tighten up on this and we have a chance.

The man marking needs to go as any half decent team just drags players all over the place.

• Like 1

To be fair to Reach, he was often courting Prem attention whilst at Sheff Wed but I don't think the price was ever really right for anyone involved. I'm sure Wolves were thinking about taking him on when they were looking at Traore too. Unlike Fletcher, I wouldn't be too shocked to see him make the step up at a club like Norwich. And lets be fair, it might well be his only chance of ever playing in the Prem so if you were at that stage of your career with any Prem interest, you may well take that chance.

Ronan Curtis is getting a few mentions about Championship interest..   a good age and seems to be able to handle himself, though obviously unproven at this level 

17 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Crazy signings these promoted clubs are making first Fletcher to Watford now Reach to Norwich do they enjoy yo yoing between the divisions 😂. I can imagine the meltdown on here if we'd won the league then was signing Reach or Fletcher to spearhead our attack 

Could be a sign of the impact brexit is going to have on signings in the premier league? Going to be hard to sign  foreign players who haven't got a load of caps and as a result English players prices are going to soar. So getting players that clubs can see doing a job on a free who also tick the English box is probably appealing.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Scoring 10 goals for a struggling relegated team is more than our far more esteemed strikers managed. Playing for a better team he could or should add another 4 or 5 goals to those 10 or maybe even a few more if they have a decent run. It's a far better gamble than spending millions on misfiring duds. If he doesn't work out at least it won't have a long term crippling effect financially.

Although both of those esteemed strikers scored more than that last season, and in Assombalonga's case, the two seasons beforehand as well.  This season Smith got 10 goals and 3 assists in 3139 mins of football.  Our strikers by comparison played 1924 mins (Akpom 5 goals 2 assists), 1865 mins (Watmore 9 goals 1 assist) and 1723 mins (Assombalonga 5 goals 0 assists).  Last season, Fletcher played 3244 mins and got 11 goals and 7 assists, Assombalonga played 2510 mins for 11 goals and 2 assists, both better than Smith this season, and in Fletcher's case, more assists as well as goals. 

Smith is a lower league footballer, who wouldn't even be playing at this level if he hadn't been part of Rotherham's promotion efforts because no bugger would have bought him, not that he was especially productive in either of those seasons with 6 goals and 9 goals in the two of them.  He's just a tall bloke who puts himself about a bit, not a good footballer, and shouldn't be anywhere near this football club.  Look at his career, never caught on anywhere, always sent out on loan even when already playing in League One.  People are off their heads if they are trying to talk this one up.  There's being positive and then there's kidding yourselves.  

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

Could be a sign of the impact brexit is going to have on signings in the premier league? Going to be hard to sign  foreign players who haven't got a load of caps and as a result English players prices are going to soar. So getting players that clubs can see doing a job on a free who also tick the English box is probably appealing.

Could be right. Homegrown quotas and all that, too.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""