oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Could be a sign of the impact brexit is going to have on signings in the premier league? Going to be hard to sign  foreign players who haven't got a load of caps and as a result English players prices are going to soar. So getting players that clubs can see doing a job on a free who also tick the English box is probably appealing.

More likely to be a sign of two clubs who know they might be back down in the Championship next season so are looking to sign a few players who could be depth in the Premier League but help them out if they are relegated the following season.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Although both of those esteemed strikers scored more than that last season, and in Assombalonga's case, the two seasons beforehand as well.  This season Smith got 10 goals and 3 assists in 3139 mins of football.  Our strikers by comparison played 1924 mins (Akpom 5 goals 2 assists), 1865 mins (Watmore 9 goals 1 assist) and 1723 mins (Assombalonga 5 goals 0 assists).  Last season, Fletcher played 3244 mins and got 11 goals and 7 assists, Assombalonga played 2510 mins for 11 goals and 2 assists, both better than Smith this season, and in Fletcher's case, more assists as well as goals. 

Smith is a lower league footballer, who wouldn't even be playing at this level if he hadn't been part of Rotherham's promotion efforts because no bugger would have bought him, not that he was especially productive in either of those seasons with 6 goals and 9 goals in the two of them.  He's just a tall bloke who puts himself about a bit, not a good footballer, and shouldn't be anywhere near this football club.  Look at his career, never caught on anywhere, always sent out on loan even when already playing in League One.  People are off their heads if they are trying to talk this one up.  There's being positive and then there's kidding yourselves.  

Aye, Tammy Abraham may become available. Who do you suggest?

5 minutes ago, Borolad1876 said:

I heard we were really interested last summer in Ronan Curtis but Portsmouth apparently want upwards of £3m 

Yep we had a bid in for him. Been a long standing interest as a previous bid was put in under Woodgate

Stuart Webber felt that one of the key reasons behind Norwich City struggling to compete in the Premier League 2 seasons ago was their lack of power and physicality. Reach would surely give them that on the left-wing and give a good platform for their flair players. Sheffield Wednesday has been a basket case of a club for a while so I think him going into Norwich's far better environment will help him raise his game.

The same could be said about Fletcher. In his four years here he has four completely different managers during the yo-yo between Monk, Pulis, Woodgate & Warnock. During that time Monk played him #10 for a game before him disappearing, Pulis played him LW, Woodgate played him on LW and strike, and Warnock played him in strike before his injury ruled him out for the majority of the season. Watford have loads of high quality wingers so they're not going to be chucking him out on the LW like our managers did for long spells here. Whilst Watford go through head coaches for fun, they're still a well run club that will give him a a far better environment that he has had here for the past four season. Good luck to him.

46 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

For me thats on a par with Watford going in for Fletcher. I can't see Reach improving their squad. Maybe as cover for a first teamer, but no more.

Totally agree 2 decent championship players but that's their standard, if your trying to stay in the PL then you set your sights a lot higher than that. If I was a fan of Watford or Norwich I'd be a bit upset if that's the calibre of player they're relying on to keep me in the PL next season. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Stuart Webber felt that one of the key reasons behind Norwich City struggling to compete in the Premier League 2 seasons ago was their lack of power and physicality. Reach would surely give them that on the left-wing and give a good platform for their flair players. Sheffield Wednesday has been a basket case of a club for a while so I think him going into Norwich's far better environment will help him raise his game.

The same could be said about Fletcher. In his four years here he has four completely different managers during the yo-yo between Monk, Pulis, Woodgate & Warnock. During that time Monk played him #10 for a game before him disappearing, Pulis played him LW, Woodgate played him on LW and strike, and Warnock played him in strike before his injury ruled him out for the majority of the season. Watford have loads of high quality wingers so they're not going to be chucking him out on the LW like our managers did for long spells here. Whilst Watford go through head coaches for fun, they're still a well run club that will give him a a far better environment that he has had here for the past four season. Good luck to him.

I'd have Reach here but not good enough for the Premier IMO, if he was good enough he would have been playing in the Premier a long time before now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Although both of those esteemed strikers scored more than that last season, and in Assombalonga's case, the two seasons beforehand as well.  This season Smith got 10 goals and 3 assists in 3139 mins of football.  Our strikers by comparison played 1924 mins (Akpom 5 goals 2 assists), 1865 mins (Watmore 9 goals 1 assist) and 1723 mins (Assombalonga 5 goals 0 assists).  Last season, Fletcher played 3244 mins and got 11 goals and 7 assists, Assombalonga played 2510 mins for 11 goals and 2 assists, both better than Smith this season, and in Fletcher's case, more assists as well as goals. 

Smith is a lower league footballer, who wouldn't even be playing at this level if he hadn't been part of Rotherham's promotion efforts because no bugger would have bought him, not that he was especially productive in either of those seasons with 6 goals and 9 goals in the two of them.  He's just a tall bloke who puts himself about a bit, not a good footballer, and shouldn't be anywhere near this football club.  Look at his career, never caught on anywhere, always sent out on loan even when already playing in League One.  People are off their heads if they are trying to talk this one up.  There's being positive and then there's kidding yourselves.  

Despite your best effort they didn't score more than Smith though last season did they?

I still make that as 5 goals for Assombalonga, 5 goals and 2 assists for Akpom and then Fletcher with 4 goals and 1 assist which are all less than Smith's 10 goals and 3 assists. Watmore is still here, presumably because he scored rather than skied his efforts and is without doubt our current best striker.

Stats don't win games goals unfortunately no matter which way you extrapolate and manipulate them, you have to be on the pitch for that and the three that are either gone or going struggled for game time because of reasons best known to themselves. The example of Watmore only lends credence to their collective ineptitude as to why he could score in a Warnock side but they couldn't. Fletcher spent most of last season in the Rudy Gestede suite so I will perhaps give him a pass (which is more than Britt would do).

Playing that stats game however shows that according to your figures Britt and Akpom managed 1723 and 1924 minutes respectively between them which is a total of 3647 minutes and a total of 10 goals and 2 assists between them. Smith in a team finishing around 50% below Boro in the League placings scored 10 goals and 3 assists in 3139 minutes of football, which is one more assist and exactly the same amount of goals as the two of them combined in 508 less minutes (or five and a half games equivalent) and heaven knows how many millions of pounds less on transfer fee costs and wages.

I do agree however that Smith is just a journeyman footballer but despite that I would still expect more from him than the esteemed departures that stunk out the Riverside. That isn't talking Smith up, its the reality of what we have just got rid off. 

The rumoured fee for Smith is £1.2-1.4m so I doubt he's coming here as "back up" 

He's a decent league one striker that'll nick you some goals in a championship relegation scrap, shouldn't be anywhere near a team that's supposedly chasing promotion

But then again he is from the North East and would allow us to fully commit to the route one football we so desperately want to play 😍

2 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

The rumoured fee for Smith is £1.2-1.4m so I doubt he's coming here as "back up" 

He's a decent league one striker that'll nick you some goals in a championship relegation scrap, shouldn't be anywhere near a team that's supposedly chasing promotion

But then again he is from the North East and would allow us to fully commit to the route one football we so desperately want to play 😍

I’d hate to see the club buy a player that fits the system we play 😁

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
5 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Like Watford and Fletcher and Norwich and Reach it's likely a case of what can be afforded rather than what you would ideally want. The impact of Covid isn't over yet and the financial impact it has left in it's wake will be putting several clubs in serious jeopardy.

Perhaps it's telling and a wake up call to many that those two promoted clubs with Premiership millions are being prudent and astute with their purchases yet some on here clearly have expectations beyond what SG and MFC can afford in the current climate. It's disappointing but we have to cut our cloth accordingly if we want to avoid a repeat of 1986.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ABH said:

I’d hate to see the club buy a player that fits the system we play 😁

Warnocks gone next summer mate, but the 7 foot donkeys will still be here 

We'll have to find another Pulis/Warnock to fit the players we'll have UTB

11 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Like Watford and Fletcher and Norwich and Reach it's likely a case of what can be afforded rather than what you would ideally want. The impact of Covid isn't over yet and the financial impact it has left in it's wake will be putting several clubs in serious jeopardy.

Perhaps it's telling and a wake up call to many that those two promoted clubs with Premiership millions are being prudent and astute with their purchases yet some on here clearly have expectations beyond what SG and MFC can afford in the current climate. It's disappointing but we have to cut our cloth accordingly if we want to avoid a repeat of 1986.

There'll be no astuteness going on at our club unfortunately 

Like signing a striker for £3m during a pandemic then berating him publicly and trying to flog him in the summer 

Gibbo will sign NW whoever he wants because they have the same ideologies or whatever, so £1.2m+ on a league one calibre striker for example 

17 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Despite your best effort they didn't score more than Smith though last season did they?

I still make that as 5 goals for Assombalonga, 5 goals and 2 assists for Akpom and then Fletcher with 4 goals and 1 assist which are all less than Smith's 10 goals and 3 assists. Watmore is still here, presumably because he scored rather than skied his efforts and is without doubt our current best striker.

Stats don't win games goals unfortunately no matter which way you extrapolate and manipulate them, you have to be on the pitch for that and the three that are either gone or going struggled for game time because of reasons best known to themselves. The example of Watmore only lends credence to their collective ineptitude as to why he could score in a Warnock side but they couldn't. Fletcher spent most of last season in the Rudy Gestede suite so I will perhaps give him a pass (which is more than Britt would do).

Playing that stats game however shows that according to your figures Britt and Akpom managed 1723 and 1924 minutes respectively between them which is a total of 3647 minutes and a total of 10 goals and 2 assists between them. Smith in a team finishing around 50% below Boro in the League placings scored 10 goals and 3 assists in 3139 minutes of football, which is one more assist and exactly the same amount of goals as the two of them combined in 508 less minutes (or five and a half games equivalent) and heaven knows how many millions of pounds less on transfer fee costs and wages.

I do agree however that Smith is just a journeyman footballer but despite that I would still expect more from him than the esteemed departures that stunk out the Riverside. That isn't talking Smith up, its the reality of what we have just got rid off. 

Stats don't win you games, but then neither did Smith last season.  I also didn't manipulate any stats either so please don't suggest otherwise.  I put last season's stats up in their entirety, I simply put up previous seasons stats to point out that they had been much better in the past.

Yeah they didn't score more than Smith last season but they did in most of their other seasons, or all of their other seasons in Assombalonga's case, which was my overall point.  That and the fact that they didn't come close to playing the same number of mins as Smith did either, which makes a difference whether you like it or not. You could also add playing in a team that by design made it more difficult for them to be successful, unlike Rotherham who seemed to play entirely to Smith's strengths from what I could tell.  The reality of what we just got rid of is that they are both far better players than Smith unless we've decided that one season determines everything now?  Smith has never been prolific in his career, so why would he start now simply because he joins us?

I'm not sad to see them go but *** me if people are seriously trying to convince themselves that this guy is better than Fletcher and Assombalonga.  He's certainly taller mind, which is truly the only thing that matters.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Warnocks gone next summer mate, but the 7 foot donkeys will still be here 

We'll have to find another Pulis/Warnock to fit the players we'll have UTB

It a shame we didn’t sign him or someone like him 4 years ago instead of wasting £22m plus wages on the 2 players we just let go on a free who didn’t fit the system our last 4 managers played

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""