oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

As a club we tend to be disappointed by the major strikers we sign, with a few exceptions, whilst the relatively unheralded guys like B. J. Slaven, Big John, Uwe, Ricard and Branca become almost cult figures..  maybe the names we are being connected with don't have instant appeal, but the thing with football is you never know when someone just clicks and starts producing..  if they improve us as a team by being involved regularly in scoring opportunities then to me, that is what matters, so I will judge them on what they do. It is always better when your expectations are exceeded than when they are not met. Even if they don't score a hatful, I want the opposition to know that they will put themselves about and not be bullied, not something we've seen a lot of in recent years.       

• Like 10
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

As a club we tend to be disappointed by the major strikers we sign, with a few exceptions, whilst the relatively unheralded guys like B. J. Slaven, Big John, Uwe, Ricard and Branca become almost cult figures..  maybe the names we are being connected with don't have instant appeal, but the thing with football is you never know when someone just clicks and starts producing..  if they improve us as a team by being involved regularly in scoring opportunities then to me, that is what matters, so I will judge them on what they do. It is always better when your expectations are exceeded than when they are not met. Even if they don't score a hatful, I want the opposition to know that they will put themselves about and not be bullied, not something we've seen a lot of in recent years.       

Yes would love another Ricard, Armstrong or Nemeth  surprise

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

It was interesting watching Stewart today for Sunderland. I know we were linked with him last summer. It’s only one game but it looked like he could play championship level.

Were we linked with that Stewart? We were deffo linked with Blackpools Kevin Stewart, not sure about the Sunderland one.

We have a weird relationship with Sunderland and a strange fascination with being linked to their players. Wouldn’t surprise me if Wyke and McGeady came here this summer 

52 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

We have a weird relationship with Sunderland and a strange fascination with being linked to their players. Wouldn’t surprise me if Wyke and McGeady came here this summer 

They have something like a dozen players out of contract this summer. It really wouldn’t surprise me to see a few come in. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Borolad1876 said:

We were, Ross County quoted stupid money when we were interested but nobody took the bait, Sunderland ended up paying a lot less when they got desperate 

Ah thanks for that 🙂

16 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

Just cause you score lots of goals in one season doesn't make you a good player. Gestede score 20 and I'm still convinced that's been edited because unless I'm in the stadium and see those goals with me eyes I don't believe it. From what we've seen from Wyke in the playoffs he's very poor and so is League 1.

Strange example given Wyke has scored over 100 goals in 250 appearances, might have been in league one and two but it's clearly not a one off season even if you weren't impressed by him in the playoffs. His issue is fitness, rather than goalscoring ability

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ayresome7 said:

We could do worse...and probably not a lot better in the current situation. I know its only based on 1 game but McGeady looked very decent.

6 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

If I was gonna go for anyone from the playoffs it would be Jerry Yates from Blackpool, only 24 and scored goals in league two and league one in the last two seasons

Yeah I like the look of Yates. Has an eye for goal, is fairly quick and still on the relatively young side of things in terms of age. Only issue is I'm not sure he'd be what Warnock is looking for as a physical focal point.

2 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

At 35, McGeady not really a long term prospect though

He's perfect for us then, as our manager isn't a long-term prospect either! 😁

More seriously, I didn't realise he was that old. Unfortunate. He'll be looking for one last decent contract to see him through to retirement I guess.

• Like 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""