oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

5 minutes ago, Borolad1876 said:

I really don't get the people saying we shouldn't get Wyke, the lads just scored 31 and is a boro fan, I imagine he would come here and leave everything on the field for the badge, if he scored 12 goals it would be a huge success.

Wasnt that supposed to be what Hugill would do? I’d honestly prefer him back than wyke, he just looks like your standard lower league bundler.

I want a striker who can actually play, offer more than just scoring goals so we aren’t playing with 10 men for 85 minutes. Our best recent season the team was made up of spanish, southerners and other places far far away from Teesside. We will never progress as a team if we keep putting so much faith in local lads giving their all. Can we please just concentrate on good footballers!

• Like 4
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Borolad1876 said:

I really don't get the people saying we shouldn't get Wyke, the lads just scored 31 and is a boro fan, I imagine he would come here and leave everything on the field for the badge, if he scored 12 goals it would be a huge success.

2 years ago we'll have just finished a season with another Boro lad up front. He wasn't very good for us. Nobody cared that he was a fan, it didn't change who he was on a match-day really.

I'd rather have Hugill back than sign Wyke, personally. At least Hugill has done his bit at this level before.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Without trying to be pedantic, if it was taken off the table by us then he didn't reject it?  We removed the offer so I'm not sure what option he would have had other than to leave for another club when the opportunity presented itself?  Seems harsh to criticise the lad for that.

The offer was on the table for quite a while and was a pretty big pay increase but he didn't want to sign it. So while he didn't technically reject it, he had plenty of time to sign that thing.

I'm not criticising him; just pointing out that he had an offer that he could have signed if he really wanted to stay here and he didn't.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

The offer was on the table for quite a while and was a pretty big pay increase but he didn't want to sign it. So while he didn't technically reject it, he had plenty of time to sign that thing.

I'm not criticising him; just pointing out that he had an offer that he could have signed if he really wanted to stay here and he didn't.

That's fine, but what benefit would there be to signing if you're not sure you're even wanted?  And the offer being on the table for a while can only be because of Covid because we definitely hadn't offered him a contract at the start of February 2020, I just had a look.  In fact, I couldn't find any articles saying that we had offered him a contract, only that we were working on a contract offer.  I know you aren't criticising him mate, it was TeaCider suggesting it was stupid of him, when in reality, it would have been a mistake to sign a contract here, as he'd have ended up with a manager who didn't even want him.

10 minutes ago, Borolad1876 said:

I see what you're saying lads but he's just had a 31 goal haul, I would definitely be taking a chance on him for free. We would be daft not to IMO. 

I doubt he would get close to that again, not even in league 1.

23 minutes ago, Borolad1876 said:

I see what you're saying lads but he's just had a 31 goal haul, I would definitely be taking a chance on him for free. We would be daft not to IMO. 

If our aim is play offs is he gonna be the guy to fire us there as the lead striker? Chances are he won’t be, I just don’t think he’s up to that level. He’s one of them who nobody would really mention if he wasn’t an ex player or from the area.

And before anyone brings it up no I’m not expecting a huge name or expensive signing, personally I think Cauley Woodrow would be a great signing, not to mention the countless options abroad such as jonas Wind etc.

3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

He didn't reject a new contract here, did he?  He was going into his final year and we were happy to sell him, so we did.  I didn't think there was any contract on the table for him as such?

He was offered a new contract in December 2019, Woodgate was openly discussing how he hoped he'd sign it soon in January.

Woodgate was sacked in June 2020, and Pears never signed the new contract.

He was sold by Warnock in October 2020 after Pears repeatedly pestered for it.

He thought he was better than he was after breaking in to the team because of injury, and it's cost him.

Edited by TeaCider24

I'm pretty bored with scouring the ranks of Leagues 1 or 2, or hoping that a Championship rival will offload a star striker. If we want anyone exciting, we are going to have to look further afield, and that's not exactly easy at the moment. Frankly, I'd rather go for someone who will bring a bit of glamour and excitement back to the Riverside than a prospective goal machine who will probably fail to deliver. I'd like to see a bit of Brazilian flair again. For example (but not necessarily him) someone like Tiquinho Soares - apparently out of contract right now, as are many others. Okay Soares might well be 30 but he has bags of experience, and that goes for many others too.

9 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He was offered a new contract in December 2019, Woodgate was openly discussing how he hoped he'd sign it soon in January.

Woodgate was sacked in June 2020, and Pears never signed the new contract.

He was sold by Warnock in October 2020 after Pears repeatedly pestered for it.

He thought he was better than he was after breaking in to the team because of injury, and it's cost him.

I don't think that's correct mate.  The articles I found made it clear that it was later than December 2019:

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbrough-boss-jonathan-woodgate-provides-aynsley-pears-contract-update-after-impressive-leeds-united-display-2004029

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7971463/Middlesbrough-look-tie-Aynsley-Pears-new-deal.html

Both of those are from February and that's how I thought it went from memory.

We'd also signed Stojanovic in the January under Woodgate as well, so it's not like Pears was nailed on to be the long term starter under him. I know Pears wanted to go under Warnock because Warnock didn't want him here and he knew it.  Warnock didn't want Stojanovic or Pears.  We did sell him in October but if you remember there was talk of him leaving weeks before that.

7 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

I'm pretty bored with scouring the ranks of Leagues 1 or 2, or hoping that a Championship rival will offload a star striker. If we want anyone exciting, we are going to have to look further afield, and that's not exactly easy at the moment. Frankly, I'd rather go for someone who will bring a bit of glamour and excitement back to the Riverside than a prospective goal machine who will probably fail to deliver. I'd like to see a bit of Brazilian flair again. For example (but not necessarily him) someone like Tiquinho Soares - apparently out of contract right now, as are many others. Okay Soares might well be 30 but he has bags of experience, and that goes for many others too.

Let’s be honest warnock will be wanting the total opposite, hopefully he at least looks around the rest of Europe though.

1 minute ago, LinoJo3 said:

Let’s be honest warnock will be wanting the total opposite, hopefully he at least looks around the rest of Europe though.

Totally agree, unfortunately. And I'm not holding my breath about Europe either, knowing his views on Brexit. But if you want to get bums on seats again - if and when - you're not going to get them with the likes of Wyke.

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think that's correct mate.  The articles I found made it clear that it was later than December 2019:

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/middlesbrough-boss-jonathan-woodgate-provides-aynsley-pears-contract-update-after-impressive-leeds-united-display-2004029

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7971463/Middlesbrough-look-tie-Aynsley-Pears-new-deal.html

Both of those are from February and that's how I thought it went from memory.

We'd also signed Stojanovic in the January under Woodgate as well, so it's not like Pears was nailed on to be the long term starter under him. I know Pears wanted to go under Warnock because Warnock didn't want him here and he knew it.  Warnock didn't want Stojanovic or Pears.  We did sell him in October but if you remember there was talk of him leaving weeks before that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/woodgate-potential-new-middlesbrough-contracts-17487008.amp

30th of December, Woodgate hopeful to tie Pears down on new long term contract and expects talks are already underway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/woodgate-issues-update-middlesbrough-contract-17582560.amp

17th of January, Woodgate was hopeful that Pears would sign the contract offer.

He never did.

Covid stopped the league on the 7th of March, the match it stopped on was the first that he'd lost his place in the side.

21 years old, only in the side through injury, he was very badly advised to not sign an extension and to push for a move to another club where he was also not first choice.

Edited by TeaCider24

I'd be looking to to give Coburn as much game time as possible in the pre match friendlies I'm probably in the minority but if the kids good enough then his good enough, age doesn't  come into it for me.

I would much rather go into the PL and see if we can pick up a decent loan signing much like Villa did with Abraham than just make do with a striker because that's all that's available.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/woodgate-potential-new-middlesbrough-contracts-17487008.amp

30th of December, Woodgate hopeful to tie Pears down on new long term contract and expects talks are already underway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/woodgate-issues-update-middlesbrough-contract-17582560.amp

17th of January, Woodgate was hopeful that Pears would sign the contract offer.

He never did.

Covid stopped the league on the 7th of March, the match it stopped on was the first that he'd lost his place in the side.

21 years old, only in the side through injury, he was very badly advised to not sign an extension and to push for a move to another club where he was also not first choice.

Not doubting you but neither article says we offered him a contract.  In fact both articles suggest that a contract hadn't been offered but that we were looking to offer him one I think?  I know the timeline you mention there is correct but I do think it's worth factoring in the Stojanovic signing in January when thinking about how Pears would view any contract offer.  And it's also worth pointing out that contract negotiations are just that, they are negotiations, it's not an instant offer and acceptance usually.

I don't see how he was badly advised in the sense that he wouldn't be anywhere near getting into our side now as Warnock doesn't rate him and never did.  Stojanovic was ahead of him, and Warnock doesn't rate him either, so from that point of view leaving was a better bet, wasn't it?  I mean he had more chance catching on somewhere else than here under this manager, and we were looking at new goalkeepers in the summer as well, so it's not like he wouldn't have been aware of that.  But if the contract offer had already been rescinded by that point then I suppose it wouldn't matter either way.

You may have some inside knowledge about it all that I lack of course.  I don't know the lad or anything.

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""