oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Not doubting you but neither article says we offered him a contract.  In fact both articles suggest that a contract hadn't been offered but that we were looking to offer him one I think?  I know the timeline you mention there is correct but I do think it's worth factoring in the Stojanovic signing in January when thinking about how Pears would view any contract offer.  And it's also worth pointing out that contract negotiations are just that, they are negotiations, it's not an instant offer and acceptance usually.

I don't see how he was badly advised in the sense that he wouldn't be anywhere near getting into our side now as Warnock doesn't rate him and never did.  Stojanovic was ahead of him, and Warnock doesn't rate him either, so from that point of view leaving was a better bet, wasn't it?  I mean he had more chance catching on somewhere else than here under this manager, and we were looking at new goalkeepers in the summer as well, so it's not like he wouldn't have been aware of that.  But if the contract offer had already been rescinded by that point then I suppose it wouldn't matter either way.

Even though Warnock played the keeper who had the gloves when he took over, he still played 2 of the 8 games under him last season. I don't remember him playing particularly well in either of those games, but he was given the opportunity as Warnock did not rate Stojanovic.

The fact he wouldn't sign a new contract played in to the hands of the decision to let him go.

We signed Jordan Archer in January 2021, a player repeatedly released because he was awful in goal, so it's clearly not just down to ability that he left.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

At least with Connor Ripley, a player I also thought was daft to leave, you could say that age has started to raise a potential issue.

If Ripley had stayed, he'd have played ahead of Pears when Randolph was injured.

8 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Even though Warnock played the keeper who had the gloves when he took over, he still played 2 of the 8 games under him last season. I don't remember him playing particularly well in either of those games, but he was given the opportunity as Warnock did not rate Stojanovic.

The fact he wouldn't sign a new contract played in to the hands of the decision to let him go.

We signed Jordan Archer in January 2021, a player repeatedly released because he was awful in goal, so it's clearly not just down to ability that he left.

It might be down to ability in terms of Warnock's preference for a goalkeeper though.  I don't even remember the two games Pears played under Warnock, but two games shouldn't decide someone's future anyway, should it?  Clearly, if he'd signed a new contract before Warnock was given the job then he probably wouldn't have been sold but that doesn't mean he'd have any kind of future here with Warnock.  I suppose that's my point, and my instincts are that he didn't sign a contract because he wasn't sure what he'd be signing on for, and then we switched managers and that contract offer was removed.

Pears wasn't good enough and had showed signs that he had reached his level, decent but not quite convincing. I think Warnock concluded the same and felt that he was too comfortable and that he had assumed he would just be given the jersey as a formal matter of progression. Going to a new club with a fresh challenge was going to be the makings of him or the breaking of him. Whilst the Bettinelli decision has backfired on Warnock I don't think Pears was or is the answer.

• Like 2

I think we'll be in for wyke and it makes sense that we would be. But I also think we won't push the boat out for him. Well have a max wage in mind and if he wants more well move on. 

• Like 1

I think bringing in Wyke as competition makes sense.

Like most buys it’s a calculated risk but with the lack of fee and you would guess relatively low wages there not much downside. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I want us to do what Barnsley do sign about 20 unknown foreign players for cheap around 200k each and 5 of them end  up being class. Its the way to go 

I don’t trust our recruitment team to identify proven talent, never mind unproven. 

• Like 2

We need 3 strikers, Wyke is one of them on a free and comparatively low wages it seems like a low risk no brainer to me. If he fails we can always sell him back to league one, or the Scottish premier.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MMC said:

If we were in League 1 or 2, but we're not, we're in the championship where he's never scored a goal and where half decent League 1 strikers tend to get absolutely bodied.

Didn't seem to worry Toney, Kieffer Moore. Watkins, Harlan Grant or Cauley Woodrow who carried on from finding their feet in league one or two

11 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

This is the first season he’s scored 15+ goals in one season in his entire career. He’s been in League 1 & 2 the whole of it so I would says he’s had one good season. Considering he’s only scored 15+ goals once in his career and it being at a much lower level he’d have to have a very good season to get 10+ in the Championship. I didn’t really how big the jump in standard was till watching some of the games towards the end of the season and the playoffs.

He scored 15 for Bradford in League one didn't he? And 7 in 16 the season before, I think if anything he fell off the pace moving to Sunderland but they were fairly toothless under Parkinson. I do get your point regarding the step up but a lot have over the past 5 years

12 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Famara Diedhiou, Michael Smith and Charlie Wyke. All incoming.

We will never be short of a target man ever again.

Can we get a pool going on who goes under the bus first and when?

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""