oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

19 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

I don't think hes near what we already have. Not stood out in a L2 playoff. Rather go with what we have than buy just for the sake of it. Happy to be proved wrong for the sake of Boro though as always haha

And what do we have we have no wingers left apart from Browne  who is injured until December 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

Morecambe promoted after Gomes pen in extra time.

If we scouted him properly and want him then they promotion should not change too much bar the £ by a little bit. No disrespect to Morecambe but they not in a position to reject a decent offer.

Albeit as said by others above i think there some decent Bosmans out there who bit more proven than Gomes.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

And what do we have we have no wingers left apart from Browne  who is injured until December 

We don't play with wingers anyway so doesn't really matter lol. Tav and Watmore i guess if he keeps playing Dunc behind the strikers. Gomez plays quite central at times too.  

1 minute ago, nunthorpered said:

We don't play with wingers anyway so doesn't really matter lol. Tav and Watmore i guess if he keeps playing Dunc behind the strikers. Gomez plays quite central at times too.  

We definitely do utilise wingers...what do you class Bolasie and Kebano as?!

On 5/29/2021 at 9:01 AM, AnglianRed said:

Well all the evidence points to us having a poor transfer window.

Most, if not all clubs are in a financial hole, but Boro also have to contend with having a short-term manager in charge, who appears to be looking for very specific types of players to fit with his preferred style of play. That alone limits the number of players who will want to sign.

Then there's the old chestnut of Boro being "a small town in the North East" and a not particularly attractive / fashionable place to live.

Then there are all the highly rated players we are linked with, who end up signing for other clubs.

Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence.

Last but not least, last season showed why we have very good reason NOT to rate half our players.

I reckon we have about half a decent squad, but given all the players that have left, I simply don't see us being able to replace them with equal or better quality.

I don't get why some people on here think we will magically be transformed into a promotion-chasing club next season, given we will be operating under essentially the same conditions, with a similar, or weaker squad.

But, as I've said before, its early days and I will be more than happy to be proven wrong...

But none of the players who left were playing? So their quality is surely pretty irrelevant, we have already improved the keeper department too.

I do get the sense of mistrust but only Marvin Johnson made any impact last season of the players who have left and rather than the need for better players as such we just need the right players. Such as different styles of strikers, pacey wide men and ones who can stay fit, I don't think we need 9/10 starters but it is important we get the right kind of players in.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:27 AM, ManBearPig said:

In his entire career he has only scored 40 headed goals. 

6 headers in the last 3 seasons 

a good player but not what we need for Warnocks lump ball

Pretty naive a comment really, were all Watmore 9 goals headers last season? Tongue in cheek or not this narrative that Warnock is plays a boot it to a big man to score tactic bears no actual evidence

Fair enough if you talked about set pieces or winning second balls but look at Warnocks sides, the goals come often from wingers and midfielders like Hoilett and Paterson for Cardiff and Taraabt for QPR

Edited by SzilardNemethsCurtains
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Pretty naive a comment really, were all Watmore 9 goals headers last season? Tongue in cheek or not this narrative that Warnock is plays a boot it to a big man to score tactic bears no actual evidence

Is it a naive comment to make? Unless Austin is coming in to play as a LW then one would only assume that he would play through the middle. 

The reason we did so badly last season is precisely because we have no target man up front to win headers or hold it up. Fletcher, Britt and Akpom all played in that role and none of them excelled at all. Assuming that Austin would play the same position in the same system, how would that stack up? Also didn’t someone mention that we put the most crosses into the box last season? Again, is Austin the player you would want to win a header to score? For me it would be a no. 

Unless we are planning on changing shape to go with two up front with Austin to compliment a target man then I’m struggling to see what is naive about my comment. 

Happy to disagree of course *gentleman bow* 

• Like 1
Just now, ManBearPig said:

Is it a naive comment to make? Unless Austin is coming in to play as a LW then one would only assume that he would play through the middle. 

The reason we did so badly last season is precisely because we have no target man up front to win headers or hold it up. Fletcher, Britt and Akpom all played in that role and none of them excelled at all. Assuming that Austin would play the same position in the same system, how would that stack up? Also didn’t someone mention that we put the most crosses into the box last season? Again, is Austin the player you would want to win a header to score? For me it would be a no. 

Unless we are planning on changing shape to go with two up front with Austin to compliment a target man then I’m struggling to see what is naive about my comment. 

Happy to disagree of course *gentleman bow* 

Because you specifically spoke about headed goals as if that's how Warnock's side scored goals, fair enough if you have examples of duels won. I also agree it seems an add link mind

The purpose of the striker in Warnock's ideal system is to bring other people into play.

He wants a player who can bring the ball down, hold it up, and lay it off to another advanced player.

Our issue last year was A) none of our strikers could consistently win the long ball and B) we didn't have enough players arriving in support of that striker. Our strikers looked isolated and very often had the fewest touches of the ball. We were incredibly easy to defend against because none of our strikers are particularly aggressive or physical.

He doesn't need somebody to come in and score 30+ goals. He needs a focal point to act as the pivot around which the entire team attacks.

(By the way, Charlie Austin is not that. He is a slightly more physical Jordan Rhodes, and he isn't even that anymore, since both his legs are made out of plywood. Would avoid.)

I think the best player in the world right now to do what Warnock would want is Olivier Giroud. Didn't score a single goal for France at the World Cup, as I recall, but played every game and they won the tournament.

• Like 4

After watching that YouTube video I’m completely sold Chuks Aneke is our No1 striker for next season. 

Clicked expecting to see a 6”10 tree who trips over his own feet, my jaw hit the floor when I saw how good he is with the ball at his feet.

• Like 2

I was a little sceptical when after 20 seconds of the video i was still watching clips of him celebrating. I think this scepticism was confirmed when the video went on to show him missing sitter after sitter. In all seriousness he looks like a slight improvement on some of the other donkeys we've been linked with.

• Haha 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""