oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

I seem to remember that a whole host of english clubs decided against giving him a chance when he was touted around. Think it was even on a free when he was leaving Spurs. The kind of hyped player from a big club that hadn't really shown anything. Credit to him for getting his career on track. Seems to have had two decent seasons and Guimaraes who he joined on a free two years ago.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Moore is also younger and a Wales International. 

Lets not split hairs mate. Moore is younger by 1 year. I am also sure if Smith was welsh he would have had a call up for Wales. They hardly drowning in good out and out centre forwards. 10 goals in the championship for a relegated side is not too shabby in my view.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, RiversideRed said:

Here's our 'top' target.

So a striker who out performed all our strikers in a relegated team. Sounds like a upgrade to me.

Edit. Probably significantly lower wages too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This isn’t specifically Boro related but may have some impact on our transfer dealings. This comes from the lad who gave me the Watmore information last year.

Sunderland are about to play hardball with their out of contract players and will(maybe have) given them a deadline to sign. They don’t want to be in a position come 1st July where people don’t sign and alternatives have gone elsewhere.

my mate seemed to think the futures will be sorted out by this time next week.

I am not over joyed about the possibility of signing Smith. But let's remember we don't have a very big budget to sign players this season. The impact of no crowds on match day and the leftovers of other manager's overspending has left the club having to tighten the belt. Any player that does come in will be a free or bargain basement, but hopefully will be a gem, remember a certain Scot called b slaven. As long as we are moving in the right direction I personally will be happy. UTB. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, RiversideRed said:

Difference is there somehow being paid for doing it.

I don't really get the negativity towards the gazette they're not paid to report on transfer rumours, they're paid as journalists to report on football. It makes no sense whatsoever to break their trust with the club for the sake of further summer innuendo

2 hours ago, Mr_Maz said:

So a striker who out performed all our strikers in a relegated team.

If the comparison we are making for potential signings is to look at our own players at their absolute worst then I feel like we are underselling ourselves a little bit. 

38 minutes ago, sambaDTR said:

For all these people who think we shouldn’t sign Michael Smith, who would you sign then, given our financial and footballing status as a mid table championship club?

I never understand why people do this? 

Get linked with someone and think they're the only player in world football or something 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sambaDTR said:

For all these people who think we shouldn’t sign Michael Smith, who would you sign then, given our financial and footballing status as a mid table championship club?

I'm not against us signing Smith, all I'm saying is that he is not my first choice. I would love us to be able to sign world beater's, or top international players. Unfortunately we can't. I think Smith, diedhiou, wyke or mullin will be about the level of signing we can expect. Personally I would be fine with all of them signing for us.

not sure whos available and for what price, but i liked to think we can do better than a striker who is turning 30 this year with a 1 in 5 goal record at championship level...

I’ve enjoyed a bit of football manager in my time. I really think this is all about budgets. HE’s got an incredibly small budget and we won’t pay high agent fees. We are being linked with players that fit the profile of low transfer budget, low wage budget and low agent fees.

Whilst many of us are quick to complain at linked targets I think we need to understand that Warnock isn’t a fool - we might not like his style of football and therefore the type of player linked (that’s a totally different argument) but he has a reputation of being able to bring in players to improve the squads he’s worked with. 

I think the big problem here is these are the only types of players we are likely to be able to bring in. Had many recent windows of rejections etc 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

If the comparison we are making for potential signings is to look at our own players at their absolute worst then I feel like we are underselling ourselves a little bit. 

As a general rule of thumb, replacing players, with players who outperformed them, and cost less, is a good idea .

Especially when you are operating within a team a tight budget. 

If our scouting and recruitment team can't do better than me looking on transfermarkt, then I'd look to sign a better scouting and recruitment team. 

• Like 4
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""