oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

13 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

How did we manage to sign Carlos De Pena from South America did he have a EU family heritage for a passport or what. But yeah it would of been better to phrase this topic as being due to brexit work permits are harder than blatenly saying you British voted for brexit to keep foreigners out the country. 

He had an Italian passport.

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

He had an Italian passport.

Send bauser to Rome or Milan then, if we can sign Italians. Bring back uncle festa, the white feather and Massimo. Lol

Edited by Oldham boro
Bad spelling
19 minutes ago, Daveybongeye said:

Who said anything about changing all of the supporters?

It's the supporters mentality that needs to change, surely you aren't that stupid?

So... it's the supporters that need to change?

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

How did we manage to sign Carlos De Pena from South America did he have a EU family heritage for a passport or what. But yeah it would of been better to phrase this topic as being due to brexit work permits are harder than blatenly saying you British voted for brexit to keep foreigners out the country. 

A lot of South American players actually have EU passports, quite often Italy (as was the case with De Pena). It wouldn't have helped post brexit though I don't think because I don't think he would have got in on WP rules.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Daveybongeye said:

It's the supporters mentality that needs to change, surely you aren't that stupid?

Does your bong eye prevent you from detecting sarcasm?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, edinboro said:

Those rules pretty much existed before. The next effect is it is now harder for us to sign players than it was.

The work permit rules have been relaxed so now more non eu players qualify for one.

How many times have you seen a player from another country come over here and struggle to settle. Not just for us but loads of teams. The option of a cheap import has a lot of risks. Proven championship players are what we need right now. Might not easy on the eye or a mouthwatering signing but can do a job. Which is what we need to get us back up to where we belong ( no Joe Cocker remarks please. ) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daveybongeye said:

I can't believe you've supported Boro from at least 2009 onwards and actually mean that.

Do you really think its wrong to want the club to be run in a consistent, sustainable manner, where we aren't changing manager every couple of seasons, splurging money, then having to tighten the purse strings?

Do you really think its wrong to want the senior management at the club to have some vision of how the club should play (preferably attractive attacking football...but...whatever) and recruit to achieve that goal, instead of just snapping up other club's rejects and general bargain basement journeymen that no-one else wants?

Do you really think its wrong to want the club to then stick to that goal, even if there are setbacks along the way, instead of panicking, making kneejerk decisions and lurching onto a completely different path?

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2

I think strong leadership is important and sometimes in the modern game that has to be done in-spite of the fans.

I think about Ashley at Newcastle and the times he has really fallen on his *** is when he paid too much attention to what the fans wanted.

We aren’t in that position though it’s the fans who want consistency, sustainability, a style and an identity. 

I have said it before eternally grateful to Gibbo (and not just for his part in 86) but the modern game has passed him by.

3 hours ago, Brunners said:

At the end of the day it is something we need to consider for all the people wanting "cheap foreign talent". It's going to be very hard to purchase those players now because of the new work permit rules. That is a relevant topic of conversation for this thread unfortunately, whatever people want to claim. 

Although BD, you could have phrased it a little better than you did!

Hopefully it will lead to clubs in this country focusing more on producing their own players.  The cheap foreign talent often isn't that cheap and isn't that talented.  It's easy to highlight the big success stories but there are plenty knocking about at all levels that are no better than what is already here.  The difference often is that it's easier/quicker to sign a 25 year old than it is to develop a 17/18 year old.  Talented players from abroad will still find their way here but if the total numbers are reduced then that might not be a bad thing.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

So... it's the supporters that need to change?

Yeah.  If the supporters had a different mentality then Akpom would have been a good fit for Warnock's style of play, and would have scored more goals for us this season.  It's that kind of planning that we are ruining.  It's pretty simple when you think about it, I mean it would have to be.

7 hours ago, Borodane said:

But then you went ahead and voted yes to brexit making it extremely difficult to do that. You don’t want foreigners taking your job so we’re stuck with the Smith’s, Wyke’s and O’Niens. 

I only voted for Brexit cos I thought it would get rid of you and SmogDane from oneBoro but it doesn't seem to have worked 😭

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah.  If the supporters had a different mentality then Akpom would have been a good fit for Warnock's style of play, and would have scored more goals for us this season.  It's that kind of planning that we are ruining.  It's pretty simple when you think about it, I mean it would have to be.

You need to practice you sarcasm skills, mate 🖤

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""