oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I only voted for Brexit cos I thought it would get rid of you and SmogDane from oneBoro but it doesn't seem to have worked 😭

Yeah them bloody foreigners telling us how to run our forum 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Our entire scouting system is bizarre, despite every other summer being told we are stats based and money ball there is no consistency to what we are doing.

After the early Brexit we went to Monk who diddled us out of millions buying players through his agent.

Essentially did the exact same thing with ‘both ends of the deal’ Pulis before coming to woody.

So were Woody’s signings from the scouting team, his agent or from connections in the game. They certainly weren’t very good under him.

Then on to Warnock and his mates down the boozer routine (except for Hall who had already signed). 

Despite this chopping and changing every window we get linked to same players. 

there appear to be no consistency and certainly no model we are following. And that’s even without the bizarre changes in management style every switcheroo. 

From what I’ve heard Gary gill is gone and that other bloke took the head scout position. So we may see a change in our recruiting, I think we should give the new guy a chance rather than lump him in with whats happened in the past.

That said I agree with whoever said we do actually seem to identify good players, lindelof being a prime example. It’s just getting the good ones over the line we struggle with.

Also I can’t remember who told me this but there are 2 factions behind the scenes when it comes to buying in players (I always got this feeling during Karankas time here). One group wants the younger players (lindelof, adama, bola etc) and another group wants proven finished article types. We seem to end up with a mish mash of neither. But I think it’s obvious that it’s the scout team vs management team. I also think there’s a 3rd group (gibson), going for the Rhodes, downing, Britt style ‘gifts’.

Idk we just need to decide on a strategy and go with it, if we want a recruitment team then stop letting the manager have so much input, if we want the managers signings then there’s literally no point bringing in anyone else as they will never be favoured. 

I always just get the picture that behind the scenes at the club will just be multiple different people arguing multiple different opinions in a bunch of totally unproductive meetings. No guide lines, no plan, everything goes but nothing happens.

• Like 1

The talk around brexit and transfers is interesting. If you think it hampers us what examples can you provide of shrewd foreign signings we made before Brexit? Being honest it would have made no difference to us, maybe the likes of Brentford or Norwich but it wouldn’t have stopped us wasting 7 million on saville, 7.5 on fletcher, 7 on Flint, 15 on Britt, 2.5 on Akpom.... 

what is apparent is people who are pro-Gibson and think he can do no wrong now seek to use brexit as another excuse for us being also rans. If we can’t sign these foreign players then neither can our competitors, the playing field is still the same and we are still pretty poor at it. 

We say we want to progress and have top class sports science facilities, modern data scientists picking a pool of talent and an academy producing good local talent, but then we have someone who won’t appoint a manager in a job (which leaves you with someone unproven, someone who’s been sacked or someone who has retired almost) and a chief exec who has overseen constant decline since he was appointed.

The Victor Orta saga was the most telling. We were linked with Thomas Meunier, Hakem Ziyech and Mandi to name a few. No way would our finances have landed any of those and clearly they weren’t part of a longer plan as all the players we signed in that period were off loaded shortly after. Then the hatchet job on Orta by the gazette is now even more ridiculous when you look at the job he has done at Leeds. All signs that there is no strategic thinking involved at the top, look at Kenyon getting involved and *** off, look at Jorge Mendes sat freezing in a half empty stadium in December wanting to get involved and then leaving for Wolves. 

The problem is clear and until he either brings someone on board and stands back or sells up (won’t happen with the debt the club owes which he built up) then we are likely to be spending the next few years treading water whilst the critics site Norwich and Brentford and the seals site Bolton and Sunderland in their defence.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Osvaldojnr said:

The talk around brexit and transfers is interesting. If you think it hampers us what examples can you provide of shrewd foreign signings we made before Brexit? Being honest it would have made no difference to us, maybe the likes of Brentford or Norwich but it wouldn’t have stopped us wasting 7 million on saville, 7.5 on fletcher, 7 on Flint, 15 on Britt, 2.5 on Akpom.... 

what is apparent is people who are pro-Gibson and think he can do no wrong now seek to use brexit as another excuse for us being also rans. If we can’t sign these foreign players then neither can our competitors, the playing field is still the same and we are still pretty poor at it. 

We say we want to progress and have top class sports science facilities, modern data scientists picking a pool of talent and an academy producing good local talent, but then we have someone who won’t appoint a manager in a job (which leaves you with someone unproven, someone who’s been sacked or someone who has retired almost) and a chief exec who has overseen constant decline since he was appointed.

The Victor Orta saga was the most telling. We were linked with Thomas Meunier, Hakem Ziyech and Mandi to name a few. No way would our finances have landed any of those and clearly they weren’t part of a longer plan as all the players we signed in that period were off loaded shortly after. Then the hatchet job on Orta by the gazette is now even more ridiculous when you look at the job he has done at Leeds. All signs that there is no strategic thinking involved at the top, look at Kenyon getting involved and *** off, look at Jorge Mendes sat freezing in a half empty stadium in December wanting to get involved and then leaving for Wolves. 

The problem is clear and until he either brings someone on board and stands back or sells up (won’t happen with the debt the club owes which he built up) then we are likely to be spending the next few years treading water whilst the critics site Norwich and Brentford and the seals site Bolton and Sunderland in their defence.

It will all be ok when we get pulis out of the club 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Osvaldojnr said:

Where is this apparent?

It's been the same individual poster repeatedly bringing up Brexit to blame the club for not signing foreign players.

I've not seen anybody trying to use is a selling point without being goaded.

borodanes point on Brexit is stating fact - get over it people - you voted for it!

As for previous signings Woody seems to have done ok but was hounded out by the keyboard warriors who are better than him . Similar to Mogga really but .....

As for the “uninspiring” potential signings perhaps someone wants to Chuck a few million to Gibbo so that he can sign a world beater or two ...thought not!

the World is in a bad place and my only hope is that there is a Boro in 12/24 months time as there will be teams that go under. If we offer x and a player wants y then we say thanks but no thanks and move on. If that means a Wyke or a Smith is wearing the shirt then I am fine with that

• Like 3

Just looking at the actual comments made by BD, a couple of things come to mind.

For one, the comment BD responded to was the one suggesting we go to the foreign market to buy players, not them.

Secondly, BD has said it wasn't personal, that it could have been phrased better and I guess that's up to you whether you believe that or not but it's worth remembering that whilst they demonstrate excellent English skills, they aren't English and perhaps it would be mindful to think about that before jumping on them.

Finally, BD is right, people do make comments like DR said. To look at the European market where better, cheaper transfers can be found, DR isn't alone in that. A lot of people do and have done even in the years following the original vote. That will be people all across the ~50/50, of course and it stands to reason there will be plenty of people annoyed by the fact 'we' voted that way not just for, but inclusive of the way we wanted our football club to be run. But ultimately BD is right that it is at the very least naïve to think we can operate in that market the way others have done in the past.

We'll see how the laws around work permits change from here on but we left the EU and lost the freedom of movement and that inevitably brought challenges to recruitment, not just in the football industry. If you remember the time around the vote itself, immigration was a bloody huge topic so I'd be surprised if it changed that much. After all, why should footballers be any different?

There are arguments for and against the long-term effects too, perhaps the development of players in this country can improve with a league less saturated by foreign talent. But opportunity isn't the only thing that drives the collective improvement of football, even at our level. There can surely be no doubt that the influence of foreign, especially European players and coaches has been felt in English football. Previous to us leaving, that was just less chance of us bringing those people to the Championship and lower levels. It feels like that gap to talent is only getting made bigger between the top level and below with these changes in the long-term. The best teams will still be able to justify bringing the best players and coaches in, we might less capable.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

EG reporting Lee Gregory been linked with us and that Sam Vokes is being offered around championship by stoke.

We are linked to every journeyman going 

49 minutes ago, Boro 86 said:

borodanes point on Brexit is stating fact - get over it people - you voted for it!

I didn't vote for it, I would never vote for it, so how about you *** off?

• Wow 2
59 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just looking at the actual comments made by BD, a couple of things come to mind.

For one, the comment BD responded to was the one suggesting we go to the foreign market to buy players, not them.

Secondly, BD has said it wasn't personal, that it could have been phrased better and I guess that's up to you whether you believe that or not but it's worth remembering that whilst they demonstrate excellent English skills, they aren't English and perhaps it would be mindful to think about that before jumping on them.

Finally, BD is right, people do make comments like DR said. To look at the European market where better, cheaper transfers can be found, DR isn't alone in that. A lot of people do and have done even in the years following the original vote. That will be people all across the ~50/50, of course and it stands to reason there will be plenty of people annoyed by the fact 'we' voted that way not just for, but inclusive of the way we wanted our football club to be run. But ultimately BD is right that it is at the very least naïve to think we can operate in that market the way others have done in the past.

We'll see how the laws around work permits change from here on but we left the EU and lost the freedom of movement and that inevitably brought challenges to recruitment, not just in the football industry. If you remember the time around the vote itself, immigration was a bloody huge topic so I'd be surprised if it changed that much. After all, why should footballers be any different?

There are arguments for and against the long-term effects too, perhaps the development of players in this country can improve with a league less saturated by foreign talent. But opportunity isn't the only thing that drives the collective improvement of football, even at our level. There can surely be no doubt that the influence of foreign, especially European players and coaches has been felt in English football. Previous to us leaving, that was just less chance of us bringing those people to the Championship and lower levels. It feels like that gap to talent is only getting made bigger between the top level and below with these changes in the long-term. The best teams will still be able to justify bringing the best players and coaches in, we might less capable.

It's great when people can see what people are actually trying to say, isn't it?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Boro 86 said:

As for previous signings Woody seems to have done ok but was hounded out by the keyboard warriors who are better than him . Similar to Mogga really but .....

As for the “uninspiring” potential signings perhaps someone wants to Chuck a few million to Gibbo so that he can sign a world beater or two ...thought not!

the World is in a bad place and my only hope is that there is a Boro in 12/24 months time as there will be teams that go under. If we offer x and a player wants y then we say thanks but no thanks and move on. If that means a Wyke or a Smith is wearing the shirt then I am fine with that

Load of rubbish, your just using the pandemic as an excuse, we’ve been stagnating long before this. Even last summer we STILL managed to blow most of our budget on akpom, another totally pointless signing.

We do it year after year after year, waste money on players we don’t need and then people like you applaud gibson for ‘keeping us afloat’.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I didn't vote for it, I would never vote for it, so how about you *** off?

No wonder old regulars who have been part of the forum for years do not come on if this is the way they are responded too!

Boro 86 and anyone else do not deserve to be treated this way just for a stance that may be different to others

Frankly TC24 I am a little surprised

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Osvaldojnr said:

It’s not necessarily about signings we would make, it’s more that the available talent pool is much smaller. Clubs can either buy British (possibly Irish too), or can buy a decent foreign internationals. 

As a club, we probably can’t stretch to the latter at the moment, and there are a lot of clubs wanting to take relatively few of the former.

Even before the B word, this has been coming for a few years, the FA’s Elite Player Performance Plan certainly started the process, but it’s a definite acceleration over the past few years.

Just as well we have a good crop coming up from the academy. 

• Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""