oneBoro Forum

Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""

No need to jump in Al and maybe my Brexit comment was a tad inflammatory but I am very anti Brexit so that informs my comments on that regard. Perhaps the heat had got to TC24 but as I have relocated to France I have already taken his advice!

As for the rest of my post then yes I continue to stand by Gibson as he is the only one putting real money into the club

Woodys signings have also generally come good and whilst it is my opinion (admittedly not shared by many) it would have been interesting to see where he would have got us this year. 

As for Warnocks targets they indicate where we are in this post pandemic world ..skint!  And if this is what it takes to still have a team in the future so be it.

• Like 4
  • Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Offer has been accepted bauser has had his critics but he has pulled masterstrokes on both of these.  Now over to you Leo!  Payero small issues look sorted should be an announcement tomorrow or f

Gibson doing a Gibson. Having another punt, pushing for Bolasie, this Argentinian and money available for a couple more. (Not a lot though) Spence going for £5m

Not been keeping up but Sporar should be sorted by Tuesday 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Boro 86 said:

No need to jump in Al and maybe my Brexit comment was a tad inflammatory but I am very anti Brexit so that informs my comments on that regard. Perhaps the heat had got to TC24 but as I have relocated to France I have already taken his advice!

As for the rest of my post then yes I continue to stand by Gibson as he is the only one putting real money into the club

Woodys signings have also generally come good and whilst it is my opinion (admittedly not shared by many) it would have been interesting to see where he would have got us this year. 

As for Warnocks targets they indicate where we are in this post pandemic world ..skint!  And if this is what it takes to still have a team in the future so be it.

Well said chap 👏

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

No wonder old regulars who have been part of the forum for years do not come on if this is the way they are responded too!

Boro 86 and anyone else do not deserve to be treated this way just for a stance that may be different to others

Frankly TC24 I am a little surprised

I don't think we deserve repeated comments blaming people on here for Brexit, it's a very divisive issue in British politics and millions of people did not vote for it.

I certainly didn't.

I was in a bad mood when I posted yesterday, so I do apologise to Boro 86 for the swearing at them, but I don't think I was wrong to call out the comment.

I have no issues with discussing the fact that Brexit will impact our transfer strategies, it obviously will, but that doesn't need to involve general accusatory and disparaging remarks about the entire population.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1

Sorry to mention football, but does anyone have any transfer rumours. Don't care if they are from a 12 year-old, self proclaimed expert or from Gibbo himself, as long as it's a rumour.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, estonpidge said:

Sorry to mention football, but does anyone have any transfer rumours. Don't care if they are from a 12 year-old, self proclaimed expert or from Gibbo himself, as long as it's a rumour.

Apparently a Mr & Mrs Smith are booked into Blackwell Grange Hotel in Darlington later in the week presumably because Rockliffe is full of the Scotland squad. Or there again it may be an entirely different Mr and Mrs Smith just up to apply for all these new Government jobs?

14 hours ago, Boro 86 said:

borodanes point on Brexit is stating fact - get over it people - you voted for it! [1]

As for previous signings Woody seems to have done ok but was hounded out by the keyboard warriors who are better than him [2]. Similar to Mogga really but .....

As for the “uninspiring” potential signings perhaps someone wants to Chuck a few million to Gibbo so that he can sign a world beater or two ...thought not! [3]

the World is in a bad place and my only hope is that there is a Boro in 12/24 months time as there will be teams that go under. If we offer x and a player wants y then we say thanks but no thanks and move on. If that means a Wyke or a Smith is wearing the shirt then I am fine with that

Okay, lets just stop this nonsense right here.

1. 48% voted against, so you can't speak as if the entire country voted for it.

2. Football transfers will have been about 100th on most people's lists of reasons for voting either for or against it. So trying to use it as an excuse for poor transfer business is a strawman argument. Especially when other, better-run clubs seem to be doing okay.

3. Based on point 1, Brexit is still a very divisive issue, which a lot of people still feel resentment over. So bringing it up on a football forum is just going to trigger a lot of people and cause a lot of avoidable arguments.

For the record, I was pro-Brexit, so no bitterness or regret on my part.

As for point 2 - attempting to claim "keyboard warriors who know better than the management" is the reason for any of our managers getting sacked is just ludicrous and utterly baseless. I'm pretty sure you're just trolling here...and not very well either.

They all left for footballing or financial reasons...or Gibson's poor judgement.

I know Garry Monk's rep is on a par with Satan's around here but I'll use him as an example.

We bring a new manager in, throw a load of money at him then sack him after half a season, because we're not as close to the top of the table as we'd hoped. New manager comes in and has to work within strict budget limits due to the money squandered previously. How much sense does that make?

Again - Gibson's flawed decision making.

Finally, on to point 3 - in case you hadn't noticed, Boro's problems go way beyond simply chucking money at them. Frankly doing as you suggest would just be throwing good money after bad.

We need a plan that will enable us to spend our money wisely and in a way that won't plunge the club into another financial crisis, next time things don't go according to plan.

In short, we could really use a DoF and a manager than can plan out a roadmap for a few seasons ahead, including planning for possible setbacks, so that we aren't lurching from one tack to another, season after season and manager after manager.

We've been doing this for over a decade now and we're no better off than we were 10 years ago.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Has the Dael Fry transfer saga been discussed? I'm not tracking back through the pages..

Yes, Brentford, good for him, Southampton also would be good for him, Burnley a disaster but Dyche is apparently now chasing Collins from Stoke (so maybe Dael has ducked that one) and of course Leeds which would be the most likely if the rumour that he is a home bird is correct.

Valuations seem to be from £12m up to £30m with the pandemic being a major influencer in the valuation. That said Gibbo wants to keep him as does Warnock so no doubt money will talk ultimately.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Yes, Brentford, good for him, Southampton also would be good for him, Burnley a disaster but Dyche is apparently now chasing Collins from Stoke (so maybe Dael has ducked that one) and of course Leeds which would be the most likely if the rumour that he is a home bird is correct.

Valuations seem to be from £12m up to £30m with the pandemic being a major influencer in the valuation. That said Gibbo wants to keep him as does Warnock so no doubt money will talk ultimately.

I genuinely believe Dael would reject Burnley anyway after seeing how they treated Gibbo. I agree with you that Leeds seems the most likely if they are interested. I don't see him going down south, personally. 

I know the Gazette generally post pro club stances, but they're saying Fry wants to stay for at least 1 more year to try and get us up himself.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

2. Football transfers will have been about 100th on most people's lists of reasons for voting either for or against it. So trying to use it as an excuse for poor transfer business is a strawman argument. Especially when other, better-run clubs seem to be doing okay.

Actually Football Transfers was 37th on my list just nudging Global Warming into 38th spot and World Peace into 39th. Proud to say I had my priorities right. I voted for it, purely on the basis that it would maybe help take some of the pressure of Gibbo having to appoint another non British manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Apparently a Mr & Mrs Smith are booked into Blackwell Grange Hotel in Darlington later in the week presumably because Rockliffe is full of the Scotland squad. Or there again it may be an entirely different Mr and Mrs Smith just up to apply for all these new Government jobs?

Nah, just Brad and Angelina wanting a bit of privacy...

Brad Pitt D GIF

14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I know Garry Monk's rep is on a par with Satan's around here but I'll use him as an example.

We bring a new manager in, throw a load of money at him then sack him after half a season, because we're not as close to the top of the table as we'd hoped. 

I don’t think Monk was sacked because of our league position but due to a breakdown of trust behind the scenes caused by our transfer dealings.

Does anyone know what happened with the legal proceedings against Monk? 

• Thanks 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Post Mortem Time""
  • Old Codger changed the title to Dan's Summer Transfer Thread. Aka: " Sporar Tomorar?""